Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-inviting mom over for dinner (I hardly ever do this...)

-giving her one of my potted window sill herb plants

-walgreens has a special today, one 8x10 print free (waiting to be picked up, old timey picture of the two of us some twenty years ago..)

what are you guys doing?

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
My dmil is very hard to buy for these days (she's had a severe stroke a few years ago, isn't able to engage in her fave. activities), we'll be doing a gift certificate from her fave. gardening place (Gripey's oldest brother will plant what she picks out), I'm going to bake a cake or some brownies or something yummy to take. We'll be having dinner at her house (probably take out, since it's so far away from my kitchen). Not terribly frugal but not too spendy either.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Haven't an earthly clue... I mean yes, we are gong to be making the trek to MIL's house with gift and card in hand but don't know what to get her that doesn't seem redundant.

She has her own taste and style and likes to purchase her own furnishings and decor. She has copd, so candles and other highly scented items are out. They are somewhat homebodies but do like take out and occassionally eating out. GC card to their favorite restaurants seems old. Flowers?..... I just don't know.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I got my mom a head scarf at a thrift store -- has yellow roses print on it, her favorite. Cost me .10

Got a metal tin (vintage) also has yellow roses on it - cost .25 Will fill it with homemade candy - cost about $1

found some plug in air freshener on clearance (mom won't buy it due to the price, but she really likes it) cost $2 -

So for less than $4, she'll have a nice gift.

Dh is using my $10 off $10 coupon to JCP to get his mom an new blouse. FREE

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I bought my mom a beach cover up she wanted.

I will get my step mom some roses or a potted plant.

We will get DMIL a gift card to the pet store. She just got another dog (she now has 6). She and DFIL live for their dogs.

I will send my Granny, Granny Helen, Grandma Dot and Grandma Momie cards.

I will also take some flowers to my Mammie's (my grandma who passed away) grave. This was something my Uncle always took care of, but he passed away this past year. Now I feel like it is something I should do.

My mom gets me a gift from my kids. This year she bought me the Juno DVD.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Today was half off all clothes day at my Salvation Army. I found a Coldwater Creek skirt in my mom's size. It's her style. I'll give her that with homemade cookies. I'll have the kids make her cards. We sent my mil a digital photo frame thingy my dh got for free from his boss and put all sorts of pics of the kids in it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
We had MIL over for dinner last night. And GMIL! We gave them a framed picture of our kiddos. I bought the frames (#1 grandmother) for $2 each.

Then we had my mom over tonight. I gave her a flower planter I bought at 90% off - $2. It was a copper wheelbarrow from Tagret - she loved it.

The dinners weren't cheap, but cheaper than a restaurant meal plus gasoline to get there!

·
Registered
307 Posts
We gave my MIL a giant basket full of perfect, huge pinecones. She loves doing crafts and things. Can't get more frugal than something free off the ground!

I got my mom a snowglobe. But I was thinking, you know what would be really frugal and cute for an adult child to give your mom? Ya know all those little paper crafts we all used to do in school when we were kids? How nostalgic! Make a card and paper flowers, smear on a picture with some glue, throw on some glitter. That would bring back some great memories, I'm sure! :)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
We're making my mom breakfast and taking her to the local zoo. It will cost us about $7 and we'll spend the day together.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
We are having a Mother's Day Barbeque in 2 weeks on Memorial Day, when my sister has time off of work to come home for a visit. Today I am giving my Mom and Grandma each cards and I bought an "Ultimate Chocolate" cake that they love from the bakery $8. We are taking my mom to get more flowers and plants for her garden on Memorial Day, we will all pitch in on the total cost for that :).

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
:sigh: Bring some of my long standing hardy perennials (instead of the annuals) to plant at her gravesite.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts