Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd love to hear some spring salad ideas that everyone finds to be economical, regardless of the country you live in.

We're firing up the grill this week and I would LOVE to hear some ideas on what to serve with items like burgers, grilled meats like chicken and pork, etc. :)

I know about potato salad, coleslaw and pasta salad, but I'm looking for more ideas. I also love macaroni salad but very few of us will actually eat it. We'd do Caesar salad too but I'm not sure if the cost is worth it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I love to grill veggies. Right now I can get green zucchini pretty cheap. I cut it lengthwise so it's in log strips. Then I marinate it for 30 minutes and throw them on the grill.

Zucchini marinade (sorry, I'm an eye-ball it cook):
-olive oil
-balsamic vinegar
-season salt
-black pepper
-adobo seasoning

If I can get Portobello mushrooms, I'll grill those too. If not, I just get the big regular mushrooms. I grill them upside down and put some mozarella cheese on top to melt and just sprinkle some seasoning over it

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
We'd do Caesar salad too but I'm not sure if the cost is worth it.
How do you figure this? I find caesar salad is pretty cheap, lettuce, croutons (which we usually skip) and dressing with a light sprinkle of parmesan. I do a lot of these when tomatoes get up to $3-4 a pound. I also make my own dressing for pennies.

This looks like a good recipe: Caesar Salad Recipe

There's some up front costs with the anchovy and parmesan, but you use so little and it lasts in the fridge forever.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I just don't think you can go wrong with pasta..........and anything goes ............plus, when bought on sale......it is CHEAP!

I like fruit salads too..........again........whatever I have to toss together.....but they aren't always cheap....depending on season.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
pea salad frozen peas thawed, bacon bits, shredded carrots, hard boiled eggs... mayo /ranch

cheap brocolli salad boc crowns, bacon bits or leftovers, rasains, purple onion oli and vinegar / italian dressing which we like.

corn bread salad cornbread crumbled, kidney beans, green onions, tomatoes, cheese, bacon, mayo salt and pepper

frito salad lettuce, toms, green onion, cheese, kidney beans, fritos catalina dressing

spinach, bacon hard boiled eggs

oriental coleslaw google it never made but love it it on my menu paln for summer

spinach strawberry razberry vinagerette

fruit salad cheater style 1 can tropical fruit, drained 1 can pineapple drained.... here is the cheat add 1 bananna, or cantelpoupe, or strawberries, kiwi .... as little or as much.... I mix the juice with it is a guess with honey and mustard.... my friend serves it to her kids mixed with yougurt...

sorry about the spelling I lost my glasses blind as bat lol
hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I just made this salad for Easter. It went over pretty well.

Wild Rice, Corn, and Broccoli Salad
2 scallions, sliced
2 ribs celery, sliced
1 can whole corn kernels, drained
2 cups cooked wild rice, cooled
2 c. broccoli florets, steamed till tender
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 T. olive oil
2 T. lemon juice
1/4 t. pepper
1 t. dry basil
Toss first six ingredients. Mix remaining ingredients and stir into veggie mixture.

You can sub lots of things in this salad, of course. I didn't have scallions, so I used some red onion instead. I was too lazy to steam broccoli, so I drained a can of cut green beans and used those. I didn't have any cooked wild rice in the freezer, so I subbed a gourmet rice blend I had ready. Use whatever rice you like. I didn't have fresh parsley, so I skipped that. I was going to add some diced cooked bacon, but I forgot. I also used lime juice instead of lemon. The salad was a hit.

I consider recipes to be simply polite suggestions. Some of them beg to be tinkered with and bean and rice salads are ripe for experimentation.

We like seven-layer salads quite a bit too. Start with a layer of lettuce, cut small. Add whatever fresh veggies sound good like a layer of sliced cauliflower, sliced radishes, sliced celery, diced bell peppers, green onion, halved cherry tomatoes, etc. Use what's in the fridge. If you end up with more or less than seven layers, that's fine. Toward the top of the salad, slather on a layer of mayo, or mayo mixed half and half with sour cream or plain yogurt, like frosting a cake. Top that with a little shredded cheese of your choice and maybe some sliced olives, ripe or green. This is pretty in a clear glass bowl, especially if you choose veggies with a lot of color. To serve, scoop out a portion and make sure you get all the way to the bottom so you get every veggie.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you figure this? I find caesar salad is pretty cheap, lettuce, croutons (which we usually skip) and dressing with a light sprinkle of parmesan. I do a lot of these when tomatoes get up to $3-4 a pound. I also make my own dressing for pennies.

This looks like a good recipe: Caesar Salad Recipe

There's some up front costs with the anchovy and parmesan, but you use so little and it lasts in the fridge forever.
Well here, lettuce prices vary and it's usually $1-$2 a head for romaine. Add in some dressing (the cheap stuff is about $1.79 per bottle), the croutons ($1.89 per box), and Parmesan cheese (between $5 and $10, depending on size and sales) and it's a guessing game. We use a lot of Parmesan cheese here in the house (for pasta salad, chicken and some other recipes).

If I make pasta salad, I have to use whole wheat. I have a durum semolina sensitivity issue so we don't do white pasta in the house.

·
Registered
199 Posts
CUCUMBER - ONION SALAD

4 cucumbers
2 onions
1/3 c. white vinegar
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
Slice cucumber and onions. Mix vinegar, sugar and salt and pour over cucumbers and onions. Toss to cover slices. Chill in refrigerator. Drain and serve.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Radish Salad

Ingredients
About 12 radishes, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon orange juice
Ground Urfa or other mild chilies to taste (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped mint or cilantro
Method
1. Combine radishes with salt, and cover with water in a bowl. Let sit 15 minutes. Drain, and rinse. Meanwhile, stir together the pepper and fruit juices.
2. Toss radishes with dressing and chilies. Taste. Add more salt, pepper or lime juice as needed. Garnish with herb, and serve.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
when I make a cesar salad I make my own croutons....

romaine is 2 bucks I also use regular parm like people use for spaghetti ( in the green can) but i do love the other stuff and u are correct it is EXPENSIVE....I also like the cheap walmart brand cesar dressing alot..

u could make your own croutons and save some... I use what ever is here.. cut into cubes I toss with olive oil, garlic, and can parm but u could use what ever... bake in oven at 200 till dryed out... now u make me want to try them with wheat bread.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Super Simple Vegetable Salad
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can cut green beans, drained
1 can sliced carrots, drained
--Mix vegetables together with your favorite "vinaigrette" style dressing.

Of course, this would be even tastier with fresh vegetables.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Yes, try making your own croutons with the ends from a loaf of bread. Save the ends in the freezer, then cube them and toss with a little oil and italian seasoning.

Here a whole loaf cheap loaf of bread is 1.89, even if I was buying whole grain it would still be lots cheaper to make croutons than buy them.

To save on the cost of dressing, put some in a bowl and then mix (toss) the lettuce in it before serving. You use less than when people add their own at the table. Also you'll use less parmesan if you sprinkle it on top just before serving instead of mixing it in with the lettuce.

Here's a nice summer salad recipe I tried: http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/salads-dressings/110389-black-eyed-pea-salad.html

The classic Waldorf Salad: Waldorf Salad Recipe | Simply Recipes

A friend of mine makes this. I don't care for the texture, but it's different. Frog Eye Salad Recipe - Allrecipes.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bean Salad
1 can each of 3 different beans, I use black beans, chick peas, pinto beans, cannielli beans, kidney beans, white beans...Just choose 3 drain them
onion
green pepper
tomato
You can put in whatever veggies you want but I use those
lemon juice, salt and pepper

Some people like this some hate it but me and dh really like it

Cabbage Salad
cut cabbage like you would for slaw
onion
green pepper or any color green is just cheaper
tomato
cucumber
again use any veggies you like
lemon juice, salt and pepper

This is also very good with fruit thrown in if you happen to have any
I have used strawberries, apples and peaches

I had this for the first time when I was in Ecuador at a resturant, I loved it

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm fructose intolerant, so I can only eat certain fruits and vegetables. I can't handle onions or too much tomato, so I like to make pineapple salsa. Usually I use half a pineapple, cilantro from my container garden, 1 bell pepper, lime juice, and salt to taste. Sometimes I add a little onion-infused olive oil (fructose isn't oil soluble, so it gives the flavor without the sugar). I generally use the rest of the pineapple in smoothies, or sometimes in upside-down cake.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
This past fall and winter I have taken to grilling or pan frying up pineapple. Just enough to heat up and carmalize a bit. To me it goes good with any meat. Also any green salad with some season fruit tossed in goes well with chicken or pork. How about a fruit salsa to go with chicken or pork.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
can of rinsed and drained black beans
can of white corn rinsed and drained
one red onion fine dice
a few cored and deseeded tomatoes
whole wheat orzo

make a drsng of EVOO, fresh lime juice and hot ppr sce.

mix together. let flavors meld.

very good and crisp!

you can also add cilantro if you opt to.

we had some grld steaks last night along w/ grld vegetables...so i cut up lots of romaine, added radishes, cucumbers and steak and some veggies and topped w/ blue cheese...that was my late afternoon lunch today! so good.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
strawberry cheesecake salad ( a dessert)
sliced strawberry and bananas
1 box of cheese cake pudding (use dry)
coolwhip and nuts mix...and chill

leftover chicken is always good as chicken salad....

dog barking can not think right now grr lol

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
israeli couscous. add to it one seeded and diced cucumber, few seeded and diced tomatoes, diced radishes and red onion and make a dressing of a bit of olive oil and fresh lemon juice then add some fetaand lots of black pepper. can also add some spinach and/or parsley. or do the same with whole wheat couscous. i also make whole wheat orzo salad this way.

romaine, cucumber, radishes, celery. add some left over grilled chix and top w/ garlic expressions dressing and you have a meal! can also add small can of chix peas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts