Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
months to balance your checkbook!!! :eek:

I just did this as I was off with the bank for $386.42. So I figured I better get it done. Little did I know how long it had been since I last did this. I found lots of bank statements I hadn't even opened yet!! :yikes: All the way back to last January!!

It has only taken me 5 1/2 hours to finish. Now I'm only off by $2.86. I can live with that. :)

I have never done this before (waited so long to balance it) usually I do it every month. Just got lazy I guess. From now on, it is a monthy chore again. At least it won't take 5 1/2 hours!! :toothy:

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
That is a good tip! I get all my stuff online so that makes it a little bit easier!

·
27,948 Posts
My first thought was-:yikes:

Then-:dis: (poor you sitting there for hours as the cats listen to you swearing)

Now that your done and have learned your lesson-:thumb:

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
dh does it the day the statement arrives .........
He works on it till it balances to the penny !
It's usually in good shape........
Good advice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
i have about 6 months worth of bank statements i haven't opened yet either. BUT i do go online and balance the check book every few days. it only takes 5 minutes if i check at least once a week.

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
Wow..no wonder it took you 5 1/2 hrs. I check mine online all the time...its easier for me that way.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I balance mine by checking my account online at least once a week, sometimes more. I'm anal about the checkbook. It has to balance to the penny all the time or I'm not happy. I worked in a bank for 6 years and I think that's why. LOL!!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
*cough* I never balance mine :( My dh got me into that bad habit when I met him, and I've never been able to go back :(--and he's an accountant! :eek:

(please don't throw anything at me :laugh: )

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Yikes! That is scary. I don't know how you do it Diana and Michelle. I would be scared that I would be writing checks with no money in the bank.:( I check mine weekly online too. It is so easy to do.

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I'm with Michelle...I never do mine anymore.I prob haven't in at least a year :eek:
I do put all the unopened statements in a safe place..my desk drawer LOL if I ever need them,I know exactly where they are lol
I write down ALL checks,deposits,and atm withdrawls but I never check them with the statement....Hopefully I won't bounce anything :toothy:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Thank you for this very helpful tip on balancing checkbooks at least once a month....

Thank you for this very helpful tip on balancing checkbooks at least once a month....

·
Registered
312 Posts
I check our balance online usually three times each week. We're on such a tight budget that I refuse to bounce any checks and give the bank money that it doesn't need.;)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My husband does the checkbook and let me tell you I don't think he ever balanced it.... But somehow it works for him..

Eileen

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
I balance mine every month, the day the statement comes in. I don't do online banking.

One thing for those who know their check books to the penny. The banks make errors!!!! And sometimes huge ones. I know from experience and it took me almost 5 months to get a problem straightened out. They had lost one of my checks, I knew it, the place where I cashed knew it, but the bank refused to admit it.

Know where they found it, between 2 desks. I hounded them until they fixed it.

They've also overcharged me a couple of times on charges they shouldn't have.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know what you mean CJ. A bank we used to use, once mixed our account up with a businesses and deducted over $12,000 from our account for the businesses payroll!!!! :yikes: Of course this was 3 weeks before Christmas and they froze our account so they could fix it. My dh was having his paycheck automatically deposited, good thing I got mine at work or we wouldn't have had any money to live on, pay bills or Christmas shop that year. As soon as they fixed the mistake we closed our accounts there, moved our mortgage etc.. We never even got an apology!! :mad:

Ladies, I do write everything down in my check register as it happens. I think I just put a wrong amount on the calculator when I was writing out bills, and I never double check. :eek:

Don't worry, it won't happen again! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts