Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the ideas on the Frugal Travel Guy blog? He has many ideas, and at the top of his list is taking advantage of credit card signup deals. Obviously this approach would only work with a certain type of individual - namely excellent credit, not making a major purchase like a house soon, and 100% responsible with credit cards. I fit this profile and it has me thinking.

I would not do it to the extent that he does, but I am at a point in my life where I can travel more and it is intriguing.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
It's an interesting theory. He seems to have a lot of time to put into planning and tracking, and more vacation days per year than we do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I apply to credit cards from time to time. I always only apply to one at time, spend up to the requirement spend to get the mileage points, ... and then move on to the next card. I rarely keep the card unless there is no annual fee. Otherwise, I'll call up the credit card service to see if I can get away with having not to pay the annual fee the second year.

·
Super Moderator
2,012 Posts
I apply to credit cards from time to time. I always only apply to one at time, spend up to the requirement spend to get the mileage points, ... and then move on to the next card. I rarely keep the card unless there is no annual fee. Otherwise, I'll call up the credit card service to see if I can get away with having not to pay the annual fee the second year.
This is what I do as well. And DH applies separately so we get twice the deals. We do not fly, but get free hotel nights. Have not paid to stay in a hotel for about 10 years. We use between 4 and 12 nights a year.

Right now we are working on our first Marriott card, have gotten 6 nights off it already with more points left. I will cancel it before the annual fee comes due. Looking into Carlson next.

My main CC has been Hilton Honors but between giving you fewer bonus points and upping the categories, they may lose my business.

·
Super Moderator
2,012 Posts
This is what I do as well. And DH applies separately so we get twice the deals. We do not fly, but get free hotel nights. Have not paid to stay in a hotel for about 10 years. We use between 4 and 12 nights a year.

Right now we are working on our first Marriott card, have gotten 6 nights off it already with more points left. I will cancel it before the annual fee comes due. Looking into Carlson next.

My main CC has been Hilton Honors but between giving you fewer bonus points and upping the categories, they may lose my business.
PS - all this opening and closing of CC does not seem to have hurt my credit score, which is over 800.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts