Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roommate loves candles, but she lets them burn too long so the wick is always burned down in a tunnel in her candles. I decided to try something with a few of her leftover old candles.

Rather than buying the wicks and making new candles, I made a makeshift double boiler with a pot with some water in it and a glass pyrex baking dish to melt the wax. I added the candle chunks I cut out of the glass candle jar and put them in the pyrex dish. When the wax was melted, I poured them into foil muffin pans -- you might even be able to use regular metal ones but I had the foil ones and decided if my experiement didn't work I wouldn't ruin a good pan and I could just throw away the foil muffin pan. Anyway, I filled each cup about 1/4 full and let the wax harden. I removed them from the pans (they came out remarkably easy) and now she has 10 homemade vanilla scented potpourri tarts to burn in her tart burner that she retired the burner because the tarts were so expensive. She had a cherry scented candle too, but that had been burned down to about the same thickness of the potpourri tarts so I just broke that candle wax into 8 pieces or so. Kind of rustic tarts, but oh well. One good thing about burning potpourri tarts is you can reburn them time after time. If you want to change the scent for that room, you just let the wax harden in the burner and remove the already used tart with a butter knife.

A few of the vanilla ones aren't too pretty because they have some of the burned black sooty stuff in them that was burned onto the candle, and they do give off a little bit of scent -- someone said it smelled a little bit like vanilla scented pipe tobacco or cigars, but the cherry ones burn clean smelling.

So I figure, for about 45 minutes of time (melting and pouring the wax) and the couple hours max of time for the wax to harden I made 18 potpourri tarts. I figure at $2 a piece that Yankee Candle charges that's $36 in savings.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Good idea!! I bet your roommate enjoys your creativity and money saving idea!!

·
4,028 Posts
WTG! I love making candles. I save my wax bits as well and when I have enough I separate the reds and yellows, from the greens, blues, and blacks and melt them into Pringle canisters. They are a great size for pillars.

What I did find out the hard way..... wicks are sized according to diameter. So if making a pillar, use a wick for a 3 inch candle. If makeing votives, a 1-2 inch will do and if making tapers, use a one inch.

I made so many candles that burned down the center only because my wick was too small for what I wanted.

Live and learn.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Great idea! I put my candle jars in the freezer over night and the old wax pops right out. I give to my daughter, who melts it down and makes candles again with it.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Great idea! I put my candle jars in the freezer over night and the old wax pops right out. I give to my daughter, who melts it down and makes candles again with it.
Oh my goodness! I have been trying FOREVER to get my melted wax tart out of the glass!! If freezing will do the trick, then I can finally put a new one in! Hooray!!! :bowing: (the knife trick doesnt work :( )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts