Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what are all of you doing for Valentine's Day?

We hand-made our cards. I'm trying to instill in the children that they can show love without spending a lot of money, and what they created was so much better than a card from the store. We also made heart-shaped pancakes for breakfast, and we're making linzer heart cookies as a treat. DH bought me a long-stemmed red rose, and I bought him a bar of his favorite dark chocolate. We surprised the kids with a new game to play together, which they have been playing all morning.

It has been a lovely day so far, and inexpensive as holidays go. I'm so glad that we resisted the urge to spend extravagantly. How about you?

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
We don't really "do" Valentine's Day, other than a nice family dinner at home.

Dinner will be t-bone steaks for DH and I, chicken nuggets for DD. Otherwise, everything else is from regular pantry ingredients: ranch potatoes, corn, tossed salad, chocolate chip cookies, and maybe a chocolate cake if I can get it made in time. (Recipes are in my cooking blog if anyone wants them-- under Menu Plan Monday.)

DD (age 3) and I will decorate with some paper hearts that she's colored.

That's about it-- no cards or gifts here. Just a nice family night together, which is pretty rare-- it will be the first night we've all been home for dinner in about two weeks.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
We don't really do Valentine's Day either. We gave the kids $20 cash each, a novelty sports pillow each, some bath fizzies for DD, baseballs for DS and some candy. We don't do anything expensive, just a little something extra since kids really get a kick out of "holidays" like this. My parents and grandparents sent the kids some money and cards. DH and I do not do anything for each other either. It is just another day to us.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Well, I just found out last night that DH is going to be home tonight. DD#2 is going out with her boyfriend. I don't know what DD#1 and her DH are up to.

I'm thinking I'll make homemade chicken alfredo, with apple crisp for dessert. We don't really celebrate Valentine's Day, but I might go buy DH a card...or slip into my studio and see if I can clear a space to make one. I'm thinking I might turn up some famous love quotes...

I let him buy his favourite chocolate the other day. We found it on sale. So that really wouldn't be cool to do again. Besides, I don't have the car to go get it.

I made some cupcakes with pink icing today. They disappeared fast. I saved two for DH for when he gets home from work.

We'll probably spend time playing board games tonight.

Jean

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I am making my fiance one of his favorite casseroles tonight, I bought a bottle of sparkling juice (cheaper than wine) to go with it, and I bought him a small box of his favorite chocolates for dessert. I wanted to wait to give him the candy tonight when he can share with me:) I left him a reeses peanut butter cup (heart shaped) for a treat this morning before he left for graduate classes. We hardly ever go out on valentine's day because of the long wait to eat at a restaurant. This year we are having a blizzard, so I would rather stay inside where it's warm and safe. I can't wait until he gets home!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
We don't really do Valentine's Day. I bought a box of Russell Stover caramel assortment (they're the only kind we like) for us to share tonight, and I helped Julia make a valentine for dh. The kids are disappointed because they missed their parties at school today due to weather, but I think they'll probably reschedule for tomorrow.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Nothing big here either. I have class tonight (a test so I can't ditch). I got the boys a very small box of chocolate and hubby a small box of Hershey Kisses & and a card. That's about it for us. The weather turned cold so I made a pot of chili for dinner, not very romantic unless you count the red tomatoes in it. My boys' school doesn't have Valentines parties. One of the classes has a card exchange, but that's it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Valentine's day is way more important to DH than me...if it was up to me we probably wouldn't do anything! :( In lieu of exchanging gifts I'm making DH one of his favorite meals (meatloaf) and made fudge brownies for dessert. I told him instead of a store bought gift all I wanted was a back rub! :)

Wow, I'm surprised at all of the kids getting gifts for V-day...I never thought about that! When I was a kid all we did was exchange valentines with our classmates, but nothing from mom or dad. Lucky kids! :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Same here....... we don't really do anything big.

I shopped at Dollarama..... hubby a card and 2 Snickers chocolate bars, Alyssa a chocolate heart and other little chocolates and Luke a chocolate heart and bag of cinnamon hearts. $7 total :crackup:

DH usually gets me a single red rose and a nice card and he bought Valentine cupcakes for the kids. I could have made them cheaper, but hey.......... he spent his own "blow" money so that's his business

DD went to Dollarama too (I'm teaching her well, LOL) as she just gave us each a roll of Mentos.

That works! DH is on afternoon shift so nothing fancy for dinner tonight

·
Registered
737 Posts
DH works tonight so no fancy dinner or anything:) It'll just be the kids and I. Dh got me a beautiful spider plant (with his allowance) and I'm getting him a golfing certificate from a local discounter (also with my allowance...I've been saving). It's $30 but includes eighteen holes, a bucket a balls, a cart, and lunch. Since he's been working so hard I thought it was okay to splurge a little. He really deserves it:) We got dd a movie she's been wanting for a long time. Ds just got to stay home and have fun with his sick mommy, lol. Normally we just make cards and we don't do gifts. I guess normally we're more frugal. I don't really consider this being unfrugal considering all of it came from our "blow" money and not our budget.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The homemade Valentine's cards sounds like a good idea - I bought DD's cards and sweethearts for her school party this year but next year we might make out own.

The only thing we're really doing for V-day is going out to eat. We usually get the kids something but since money's tight right now we skipped that this year.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Well, no roses here because they are overpriced and die.
No cards either because really, we don't care much about V-Day.
Didn't get our 1/2 off couples massage today because they called 20 minutes before our appointment, after we had trekked downtown and said they were closing after all due to weather getting worse again. :(
Boyfriend's making dinner tonight and we're drinking champagne I got at a discount from my friend's winery.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I got DH $10.00 worth of shrimp from Shoprite (his favorite) that I'll cook for him when he gets home.

DD18 and DD15 got $10 Wawa gc's and DD5 got dollar store dvd's that DH picked up for her.

We got an ice storm today, I got sent home early so nothing else going on here.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
There are some great ideas here, simple and straight to the point. If I was able bodied, Id have invited bf over for dinner and cook it for him too! :laugh:

But we've been together since Friday evening and he just left my place late last night. To me thats the best gift a girl can get - QT with her man. He works shifts and all 3 of them too so its hard for us to co-ordinate QT together. Even weekends arent gauranteed. Usually we see each other for a day and half at most. So this was like a dream vacation for us!

Plus hes been here nursing me and not letting me get outta bed and making sure I have everything I need and want. Too bad Im not one of those that 'want a freshly baked cake' LOL He knows Im not that mean.

I'll prob just make him some baked goods this weekend when Im better balanced on my feet. Wont see him until Sunday evening anyhow. Now what to make?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
This is a big day to me.
My Fiance and DS are the most important people in my life. I splurge on them
Got Fiance a box of candy and a big jar of roasted peanuts and a card
Got DS a big box of candy and a package of beef jerky and a card
Got DS's girlfriend a big box of candy
Now I'm fixing them a traditional turkey dinner with all the fixings.:thumb:

·
Registered
176 Posts
We don't really do anything special anymore now that the kids are older. I stopped by Walgreens at lunch and bought them a little candy and a couple of Slim Jims (their favorites, don't ask me why). I spent just about $25 on the two of them. My sister on the other hand spent over 35 just on her one kid.

·
Registered
176 Posts
OOps, I actually only spent $15 on the kids. Wow, I didn't realize how much of the stuff I bought was actually for me. Soda, new air freshener for the car, keyring flashlight (never seem to have a flashlight when I need one), and a sandwich for lunch and pistachios for snacking on this week.

·
Registered
300 Posts
We have a good day so far. I bought a box of $1 Valentine's at Walmart and the kids wrote them to their friends. ILs sent tons of chocolate suckeres and candy for the kids...we took the suckers and gave them out at a party today with other homeschoolers.

A bunch of the Valentine cards were leftover and I wrote one to each kiddo from me and then made out ten to dh and have left them all over the house...alluding to some time in the bedroom tonight :blush: And he got me a nice card.

I pulled out cupcakes from the freezer and decorated them with icing and red sugar. Making homemade pizzas for kiddos. DH arranged for the men at church to cook for the ladies at one house and the kiddos to come to our house with a sitter. We will all split cost of food and sitter. Should be a fun night.

Let's see, I also made heart waffles (had a heart waffle iron I got at a thrift store several years ago). I got a .94 cents treat for the older two kiddos at Walmart.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
:lol: well, I guess this is one positive to being seperated by an ocean on Valentine's Day ~ we didn't spend any money! :D

I sent my hubby a v-day card last week in hopes that it would make it in time - i got a phone call this morning :call: - only the second phone call since he's been there - and he still hasn't gotten any mail :( ((I send a letter every day))

the boys & I dressed the part today - they wore red sweaters & I wore a pink sweater :D

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I made my sweetie a chocolate heart-shaped cake & bought him a balloon and a card. He got me a bunch of "bathroom stuff" (I call it) that is practical: shampoo, shaving cream, face wash, etc. in a gift bag, along with a cute teddy bear, a balloon and a card. It's better than him splurging on flowers that will die or something I won't get a lot of use out of. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts