Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you accumulate clutter and use frugality as an excuse? I have some friends and relatives that pick up things from the dollar store and yard sales simply because they are a bargain. This stuff accumulates in their homes and may or may not be used. It seems like they place no value on their time and it is more like a hobby to search for deals. One of them bought an "ice tea maker." I've never heard of such a thing but it was large and plastic. Why not use a tea pot, which they had, or boil the water in a pan?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I roll my eyes every time I see a "sun tea" jar. You can make it on your counter in complete darkness in any kind of pitcher or jug. What is it they say, "there's a sucker born every minute."

Anyway, yeah there was a time in my life when I bought stuff just because, and if it was cheap it was easy to justify. I was especially bad with fabric and crafts. I bought stuff knowing I wouldn't use it, just because it was on sale.

I'm over that. I ran out of room and decided I didn't want to end up on an episode of Hoarders. It's still hard to throw stuff out, because I have that "might need it/it's still good" mentality, but I'm learning.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I guess maybe 50/50
I used to be a sucker for dishes and kitchenware but I'm off that kick
Dont have to buy kids stuff anymore and I generally give gifts of cash to my young starting outs (adult kids)
But I still stockpile things like emergency candles,medical supplies,and window plastic for winter.
Also if I buy it and dont want it I can donate it.

And we love our Suntea pot thank you.lol I love the size and the lid w/ the handle but mostly I love the memories of tea parties assoc. w/ it.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I don't think people intentionally accumulate clutter. And every household accumulates clutter. The source doesn't matter.

I have a lot of excess. Some of it was a mistake and I'm getting rid of that. But we also keep a large stash of stuff because of where we live and how hard it is to just run to the store for some little thing, not just because we live out of town, but because the town we live near doesn't have any big box stores, resulting in things that are either high priced or completely unavailable. That's not an excuse, it's a necessity and part of our personal self-sufficiency. We've been diving into the home improvement stash a lot over the past few weeks and we've saved hundreds, not to mention the time we save not having to stop in the middle of a project and jump in the truck and run into town to get some little essential item that would cost us fifty cents and a gallon of gas and an hour of work time, if we can even get the item we need. Same with sewing, and I sew a lot. If I didn't have a large sewing stash, I would be severely limited in my ability to make so many of the things we need, many of which are not available anywhere at any price. And I know how much custom work costs, because I used to be the one doing it for other people and charged them plenty.

We've started limiting the spaces for different types of stashes, and once those spaces are filled, we don't buy any more of that type of item. And we're going through things and purging more often. Even with the mistakes we've made in buying, we feel we're still saving money. Everyone makes mistakes in their purchasing or else they would never purge or donate anything. I'd rather make a mistake with something that cost a dollar than the same item bought retail that cost me twenty dollars. But we've reached a stage in our lives now where we have most of what we need, so we don't go to garage sales nearly as much as we used to. A lot of what we buy now, also is upgrades so we get nicer things on the cheap and then donate the less nice things. But we're still paying way less than retail for both things, so why not?

I don't like tea, iced, sun, or otherwise, so I'd have left both the sun tea jar and the iced tea maker there. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
When I had a house and space to store things, I could not pass by something useful that was being thrown out. I would either save it or pass it on to someone else. Now that I am renting a furnished place, not a lot of room and I don't have trouble throwing things out if I need to.

The "it might come in handy someday" excuse is one of the major reasons for hoarding.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Clutter

Do any of you accumulate clutter and use frugality as an excuse? I have some friends and relatives that pick up things from the dollar store and yard sales simply because they are a bargain. This stuff accumulates in their homes and may or may not be used. It seems like they place no value on their time and it is more like a hobby to search for deals. One of them bought an "ice tea maker." I've never heard of such a thing but it was large and plastic. Why not use a tea pot, which they had, or boil the water in a pan?

Just wondering.
I have a smaller house that I share with 5 other people so I tend to go through things pretty regularly and I try to remind myself it isn't a deal to spend money on something that I'm just going to have to get rid of a couple months down the road because of my limited space.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I have a small space ...AND I AM A HOARDER IN RECOVERY:blush:....soooo that is the reason for my signature!!!
I have had to change my behaviors...now I make a purposeful attempt to NOT stop at garage sales...I have not been thrift store shopping in the past year and a half...and I decline items when offered them free of charge.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I grew up with a mother who bought anything and everything that was on sale, with no regard to whether she needed it or not. Last I knew she had an entire basement full of unopened things, accumulated over the past almost 40 years. Sometimes she'd buy something that was actually nice or useful but she'd refuse to give it to anyone. It just sat in her basement and moldered.

When I first started out in my adult life, I was the same...buying just because "it's a bargain." I got over it, but it took some time to change that mindset after being raised that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts