Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I had to go to the store last week, and one of the things on my list was razors (or, lady shavers, to the more delicate among us). I always buy disposable, but I was thinking maybe it was more frugal to buy one with repaceable heads. Upon pricing the razors, however, I found that it is actually more EXPENSIVE, as the ones with replaceable heads charge about as much for the heads as the disposable razors cost altogether, and I presume you would have to toss the head as often as a full razor, based on blade dullness.

So now I am torn, because I thought it would be GREEN as well as frugal to get a non-disposable razor (less plastic in the landfill). But since I can get the disposables for less, is the environmental factor large enough (i.e, a disposable razor head vs a full disposable razor) to merit the extra cost?

Curious as to whether anyone else has tackled this weighty issue and what conclusions you've drawn.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
i buy the 10pk from dollar tree. cant beat that

Reactions: madhen

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have the kind with the replaceable head and I believe that I can get many more shaves from the replaceable than the disposable. To me the disposable is only good for a couple of times. Even though they come in packs of 10(?) I still get more shaves with mine. Probably go as far to say that I can get as much from 1 replacement head as in a whole package of disposables. My hair is more on the fine side so that might make a difference too.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I try to buy the ones that I have a coupon for combined with a sale and get them for near free or only for a dollar or two but there are four of us shaving here and the replacement blades are so expensive it just isnt financially feasable for us. I would like to make the ones we have last longer and put less in the landfill for sure.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
The ones with the replacement heads last longer and work a lot better. If you dry them off after use they last longer.

I haven't put much thought into the environmental impact because I don't even consider using the disposables. I guess I'm kinda snobby like that. :laugh:

·
8,714 Posts
~I "sharpen" my disposable head razors too. Usually after about 8 uses. I can get about 2 months out of a blade.
I've never bought the completely disposable ones. Buying disposable plastic stuff is something I also try not to do.
I just threw out a blade this weekend. I'm almost out of my blade refills on my 10 year old razor. I'm considering trying a straight razor instead of more refills. Nothing to buy ever after that right? :D ~

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I find the replaceable heads more effective - better quality shave and they last longer so long as you store them properly: rinse well and keep dry when not in use.

The cost of the heads seems more upfront but I think its totally worth it. If you're lucky you can find coupons online and stock up when on sale. The last time I bought refill heads - over a year a go and it was an 8 pk, I think I have 3 left?

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great responses, thank you! I remember one other reason I went with disposable, and that is that it seemed like every time I bought a razor, within six months, you couldn't find the heads for it anymore. So I'd have to buy a new one, with all new heads. I haven't noticed any difference in the quality of the blade between regular and disposable, but I'm not really picky either. As long as a razor basically does its job, I'm happy.

I just bought an 8-pack of disposables, so I am going to try the denim stropping thing, just to see if I can keep them going for a bit, then maybe I'll reconsider buying a regular one. Anyone have a particular brand they really like?

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I use the tip that RainyDaye posted. I have used the same cheapie razor from the Dollar Store for almost a year now. Works every time! :)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I also use replacement head shavers. I haven't found any disposable that shaves close enough or lasts more than a week. I have several in my stockpile that I got for free after coupons and rebates. I usually get at least 3 months out of one blade. I never knew you could sharpen disposables. One thing I have found is that the men's shavers shave closer since they are made for beards. I've actually used them several times and my legs were so smooth.

Cat

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I switched to a reasonably priced electric 'lady shaver' a few years ago. I know, I know...not as close.

But I doubt anyone (even DH) is getting soooo close to my 56 year old legs and armpits, that they can see if I have a smidgen of stubble.

No more shave cream, no more razors and heads, no more extra water running for shaving, no more mess, a lot less time spent.

Voila.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I use the disposable razors. With the hormones changing I do not need to shave as often. With coupons I can purchase them for really cheap. I also will sharpen them on a scrap piece of jeans.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.