Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~A couple of weeks ago I was making my frugal, apple core applesauce when I remembered that I had about 1/2 lb of wilty green grapes in the fridge. I cooked them down with the apples and pureed them together. I've been replacing 1/2 the oil in baking recipes with twice as much puree. For example, if the recipe says 1/2 cup of oil, I put in 1/4 cup of oil and 1/2 cup puree. Two days ago I made a store brand chocolate cake mix this way and let it sit overnight before eating, as I usually do when making cakes. This is the yummiest, moistest(is that a word?) cake I've ever made! Just thought I'd share the success just in case anyone had been thinking of trying themselves.~

·
Registered
92 Posts
The fruit does make a wonderfully moist cake, doesn't it? Mashed banana works as well. You can substitute the fruit for the entire amount of oil. One thing I've discovered about cakes, cookies etc. made with pureed fruit instead of oil is that you need to keep them in the fridge. The fruit does tend to make them spoil faster if you leave them out on the counter.

·
Registered
626 Posts
mashed banana ?

never tried that.

hmmmm

about using the fruit in place of ALL the oil, I've done that many times and yes your right, it does go bad faster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts