Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my water bill and it was $502. Can we say Houston we have a problem? My bill usually runs $ 60 a moth. The highest it has ever been was $ 200 and that was filling up a swimming pool.

They told me we had a leak so we checked leaks no one can find any. Every time they the have to ask us where it is because they don't know.They have been out to read the meter again this time it was showing any leaks.

They told me I was responsible for paying this outrageous bill and to have the meter replaced.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
:yikes: Ouch!!!!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
O.M.G...I don't even know what to say! My water bill averages about 15 a month. But I guess water is cheap here.

They want you to replace the meter??

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
How come this thread is posted twice?

YEOW! And on top of that YOU have to replace the meter???.........what are THEY responsible for??........just sending high bills???

·
Registered
540 Posts
We had that happen once and no good reason could be found, the water company just pretty much told us, you must of done something.. Found out after we moved this happen to others in the town..

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
What methods did you use to check leaks? How many gallons of water was used to result in the $500 bill? I work for a water utility and I may be able to give you some hints/tips on what to look for. It sounds like your water company isn't too easy to work with.

Will they allow you to make a pay arrangement? If there was something leaking and it's now been repaired or fixed, do they offer sewer allowances?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have looked turned all the water in back bathroom along time ago because its not used. My yard has been dug up, all plumbing has been behind the walls, there is no leaky faucets ,toilets, hot water tank is fine. The plumbers and us all have checked for leaks and can't find anything.

My landlord is going to call argue with again. Apparently this has happened at this house before.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Is there an outside hose pipe?

Do you have neighbors?

Possibly someone's stealing your water?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would be having night terrors. This bill is outrageous and I can't believe the company won't help solve this obvious problem.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Do you know where your meter is located? I would start monitoring your consumption. Read it right before you go to bed and first thing in the morning. As long as no one got up, flushed a stool, turned a faucet, etc. those two numbers should be the same.

Is there a humidifier or a water softener at the house?

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Geesh...something obviously isn't right. Agree with Nichole, read before bed and FIRST thing in morning. If at all possible before first water of day is used

·
Registered
904 Posts
you know, I was fussing because mine was usually 12 and went up to 15 last month.

I will shut up now.

I hate this has happened to you and hope you get it straightened out soon.

If it were me and the water department was unwilling/unable to help I would definately go up the chain of command. I am sure the major will gladly help after you pester him/her enough.

Good luck!

·
Registered
708 Posts
all i can say at this time is...

if it was me... all i would do is cry....so sorry this is happening to you...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The water company told us the perhaps and an outside hose was let on an average of 2 hr a day but we took the handles off both outside spigots last year to keep little people from playing with the water.

We don't have humidifier or a water softener here.

In one month we used enough water to fill 10 large pools or give the neighborhood all showers at least 1x a day if not more.

Our water meter is by the road . Almost next to the fire hydrant. It's funny because half the time the water company doesn't know where it is at.

My landlord is supposed to talk with a supervisor again later.

Excuse my rambling brain my ADD medication is wearing off.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Our water meter is by the road . Almost next to the fire hydrant. It's funny because half the time the water company doesn't know where it is at.
That made me go HUH? for a minute until I realized you are in Florida. All of our meters have to be inside, otherwise they freeze and bust in our Iowa winters.

Did you do a dye test to check a toilet? Typically, you cannot see or hear a toilet leaking but they can let through a ton of water. You may have done this already, but if not, you can place some kool-aid, food coloring, even coffee into the tanks of your toilets. Don't flush, then check the bowl in about 15 minutes. If any of that color is in the bowl, the toilet is leaking. We have a customer who had 98,000 gallons go through his meter this month due to a leaky toilet. If you've done this, I apologize. (Anyone else reading this--you should do this every 6 months or so as preventative maintenace!)

I would also check inside the tanks of your toilets. Are the chains long enough that they could get caught under the rubber seal--just letting water through until the next time someone flushed?

Will your water company do a leak inspection for you? That's a courtesy service we offer. Sometimes as a water company, we are kind of stuck. We can tell water has gone through a meter based on reads, but we can't say for sure where it's gone because we aren't in the home. That's why we offer to help look.

Good luck on getting this straightened out. Please post back and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I think if this doesn't get resolved, I'd bring it to the attention of the local media. Perhaps you're not the only one this is happening to?

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I had another thought. Can you have the water company do a test to see if there is a leak on your service line? (That's the line that brings the water from the main to your home?) It's something that, since our meters are inside, doesn't really apply for our homeowners because our water lines aren't metered until the inside.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I had another thought. Can you have the water company do a test to see if there is a leak on your service line? (That's the line that brings the water from the main to your home?) It's something that, since our meters are inside, doesn't really apply for our homeowners because our water lines aren't metered until the inside.
THAT seems likely, given the outside meter.

When was your house built? I owned a house once that was built with PEB piping, which was the subject of a major class action suit eventually. Our pipe burst in the yard - and we only had a trickle of water run into the house, but thousands of gallons were lost outside (fortunately, prior to our meter).

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Service lines are the responsibility of the homeowner here. We will disconnect water if we detect a service line leak that isn't fixed within the timeline we give customers.

If that's the case, the OP's landlord would be responsible for both the repair and the difference between the OP's normal bill and this one.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Service lines are the responsibility of the homeowner here. We will disconnect water if we detect a service line leak that isn't fixed within the timeline we give customers.

If that's the case, the OP's landlord would be responsible for both the repair and the difference between the OP's normal bill and this one.
To be clear - we were responsible for fixing the water line - we just weren't charged for the lost water since the rupture was prior to the meter in our case.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts