Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:pdoff:

omg....how frustrating. I just got back from the post office, where I was trying to send my nephews birthday gift (from Chicago to Alaska)

A little background....

There is this guy (Travis) that works at the post office. Honestly, I think there is something wrong with him (mentally). I am not saying this to be mean, I am just calling it as it is. Every time I go in there, I observe him because he does things so strangely. From my perspective, it appears like he takes his job duties very...um...seriously (?) if that is the right word (?) There is the usual USPS shpeel that he MUST recite for every type of transaction (e.g. Would you like to open a post office box? Do you need any stamps? blah blah blah...the same things that the employees always say...except he takes it to the extreme). So, usually I just politely answer "no" to all of his questions....clearly seeing that he's not quite all there (the other employees are little more "loose" and if somebody seems to be in a hurry or is like "no, i really just need this done" they get the hint and just wrap up the transaction).

Well, today I go in and there is a long line. I can tell that Travis is a bit edgy today because I am watching his interactions with the customers and I am hoping that I don't end up in his line. The guy before me approached the counter and set an envelope down with one stamp on it and requested that the envelope get weighed so he can make sure that he has enough postage on it. Simple enough, right? Nope, Travis decides to be difficult and recites this man his miranda rights practically and won't put the envelop on the scale until he completes reciting all of the man's options...the guy was like...I just need this weighed, and the guy snaps..."If I put this on the scale, then I need to tell you all of these things." It was a little uncomfortable watching....anyway, so unfortunately I am next in line and have to go to Travis's line. I put my package down and say "I need to send this to Alaska, but I would like to see what all of my options are before I decide how I would like to send it...(and I adjust the credit card machine because it was tilted at an angle and I couldn't see the screen, because typically it will display all of the shipping options and I can compare them myself). Well, he grabs the credit card machine and moves it out of my reach and says "That machine is only for customers who need to use a credit or debit card."' I look up at him shocked that he just did that and he says would you like to send the package this way for like $80? and I said.."no, i would like to see my options" and I step over and slide the credit card machine back in front of me....He raises his voice and says that I am going to "break" the machine and again..THIS MACHINE IS ONLY FOR CUSTOMERS WHO USE A CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD TO PAY. And then he places the machine BEHIND his machine. By this time, I am speechless so I say "Could I please speak with somebody else" and he tells me to get back into line and calls the next person forward. I then get back into line and go to the next available woman (whom I have also dealt with before) she, lists off my available options for shipping and I look at the credit card machine in front of me (like usual) and the transaction is done in like 2 minutes. When she hands me my receipt, I ask why that was so difficult...she chuckles..like "tell me about it"...and says if I have a complaint then I can call this number and she gives me a card with a number on it...so I ask for the employees name and she writes it down for me....and then I was on my way. The woman was great, pleasant, etc...but man...this Travis character is crazy. So now I am planning on calling USPS to file a complaint, but need to chill out a little bit first. I was shaking afterwards...I am a really patient person and try to let things go as I typically understand most situations have nothing to do with me as a person...but it is the other person who has the problem....but I think I really will file a complaint because as a customer, I was really shocked and did not like being treated that way. I didn't do anything wrong!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And on top of that....my whole goal was to try and ship the package as cheap as possible....and was going to see if it would have been cheaper to put the package in a flat rate box (which it would have been), but was so unnerved that I just wanted to get out of there....and then when I get home, I review my receipt and see that they not only charged me for the shipping but for a photo mailer...which I did not buy.....but now I just don't want to go back and deal with them...

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I am finding people being more and more obnoxious when it comes to customer service. Usually it is more apparent when it is the dead of winter and people start acting like they are powder kegs waiting to go off.

Really do not know why people feel the need to act crazy. Once you calm down you can file a complaint. Really doubt you will be the first since the co-worker was more than aware of what was going on.

·
Registered
933 Posts
At the moment I'm very upset with the "fill in" mail woman that delivers to my house. Our mail man is great and always gets our packages to us, brings them to my door and all, but this woman is just lazy. IF we get a package she might blow her horn for us to come out to the her car and get it or she won't even bother and just stick a card in our mail box for us to drive 10 miles to town the next day to pick it up. My son and I were home all day on Friday. He is expecting a package. Instead when he checks the mail there is the card. "sorry we missed you etc." We were home all day so we know she didn't even try to deliver it. I know its her because the other guy is always so great. I'm ready to file a complaint.

·
Registered
924 Posts
is there a different post office you can go to or do you live in a rural area?

If the experience made you shake, then I would definitely file a complaint. I can understand him needing to go through his verbal routine but under no circumstances should he be yelling at you or taking things out of your hands.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ frugal is fun - This post office is across the street from our condo (we are right downtown Chicago)....i could try to find another post office, but this one is so convenient

I just went for a run to help burn off the nerves and will call after my shower

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I also found they won't tell you the parcel post rate unless you ASK them for it. And then the up-sell....they want you to over night it, or insure it, or pay for signed delivery!!! No, just give me the rates.....all the rates!
My favorite postal guy retired. He was so great....always asked about dd when I was sending an APO package. And when I buy stamps...I want to see what pretty ones are available, he always was so nice about showing me all of them. Now...they all get cranky when I ask to see stamps.

·
19,119 Posts
Life is geting stranger and stranger in the customer service department - definitely know what you mean - just leaves you shaking your head and everything else. Personally think you definitely need to report this - he was threatening and bullying - so wrong, regardless of any possible disabilities. Please let us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Life is geting stranger and stranger in the customer service department - definitely know what you mean - just leaves you shaking your head and everything else. Personally think you definitely need to report this - he was threatening and bullying - so wrong, regardless of any possible disabilities. Please let us know what happens.
ITA. I can understand his "spiel", but what he did today was plain WRONG (not to mention a little crazy). Definitely report him!!

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
It sounds like the guy is possibly borderline autistic or compulsive. That would make him a great employee who can recite options by rote, but if you interrupt him he starts to freak.

Sorry you had to deal with it. I've had to go out of my way a few times because of a difficult PO worker who always had some reason to reject my packages -- wrapped wrong, labeled wrong, etc. If I see they guy at the counter I just leave for the next station a few miles away.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys - thanks for all of your support...it means a lot to me.

So, I called USPS and filed a complaint. The woman I spoke with was very apologetic...and I was like it's not your fault, it was just such a strange experience. She said that somebody should be contacting me within the next two business days to wrap up the complaint.

Contrary Housewife - I think you may have nailed it on the head....autism or something....it is like he can recite things very well....and when you approach the counter...you can tell that he is very focused on reciting to you the schpeel exactly...which is why I alway just nod and answer all of his questions patiently...but when I approached the counter today, I could tell he was upset/distressed about something...It was like he was acting out in a way...

But I confirmed with the woman on the phone that I am allowed to look at the credit card machine, so I don't think I was out of line.

I will let you guys know what happens when I get the follow-up phone call.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
IF you know the weight and dimensions of your package, you can go to USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service), click on Calculate Postage, then click on either calculate Domestic Postage or Calculate International Postage, go through the steps that come up and you can then see your shipping options with prices, estimated delivery times, and other options. Even if you only have a guestimate on the weight you can use that and see your options.

IF you ship packages on a regular basis, you can look into purchasing a scale, setting up an online USPS account, pay with a credit card and get a discount for printing your postage online. You can't print the lower/slower priced shipping options online. You can print the label on regular paper and tape it to the box.

I am glad you reported him. I would go a step further and watch for others that he mistreats and tell them to report him also. One complaint probably won't do anything. Several complaints will!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
to me sounds like some one has stopped taking some of their medication for OCD or something -more than autistic .

even if highly intelligent / highly functioning autism - they usually would not function very well in a high stress customer service area so why would they be put there -

sounds like perhaps his co-workers may be a bit tired of it also .

we had a guy who was very rude and cranky - he was close to retirement so felt he didnt need to be nice - IMO they needed to get his butt out from behind the counter and walking in some snow and cold rain a few days so he had a reality ck .

i actually went to a PO 2 towns away to avoid him but the roof of that building collapsed after an ice storm and i had to go back to mr cranky pants .

i use to ebay and would stop in about 3 with my packages - mind you they were all prelabled - prepaid and usually 5 at a time etc he didnt have to do a thing unless it was going out of the country , but scan and throw in a bin he got mad at me and said why dont you come earlier -

- i said because i wait for my oldest son to get home so he can watch the younger kids while i am here or would you prefer some kids under 5 touching everything in your PO - i can arrange that . He said well why dont you get a real job--- i said for your info i am a RN who is staying home with my kids for a while and something tells me you would be the first one to complain about working moms too .

he seemed to enjoy being mean -that day i left in tears i was soo mad and reported him . nothing really was done .

then one day it hit me and i realized he had some OCD issues with touching peoples hands--- he would throw your money on the counter you would have to grab the change before it rolled hit the floor - he wouldnt take money out of your hand he would tap on the counter where he wanted to put it . never let anyone touch his hand .

after a particularly rude comment one day ( i was there at 3 his machines were down i came back at 4 as told to and he was mad at me because they close at 4:30 ) i looked at him.... gave him a evil glare ( one i usually reserve for my kids in situations where they are supposed to be quiet and arent) and grabbed his hand smiled and said i have decided that for now on each time you are rude to me i will hold your hand and pray for you -..... do you really want that ???

from then on when he saw me he suddenly had something to do in the back . then he retired - yeah !!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I'll probably get slammed by someone, but if he has major issues he shouldn't be in a job like that where he has to deal with customers...put him in the back if you have to keep him, but don't put him in the front! It's my personal opinion that postal workers think they have more authority than they really have....our mailman is an idiot! He's scared to get out of his truck if our crippled dog is in the yard...our dog who has never bitten anyone and couldn't chase anyone down and the stupid mailman has been told that many, many times. He's done the leave the notice-that-you-have-a-package in the mailbox too 'cause he's too scared to get out of the truck.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
From what I understand, If I had a postal worker's job, there is no chance I would leave. The unions keep them employed well past their use-by date, and they get excellent benefits and pay. While I don't think this person is indicative of the USPS in its entirety, it does show some of the flaws causing it to go under.

Anyway, does your post office not have one of the weigh-it-yourself stations?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.