Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
As you can see from my post count, I am new here. :grnwave:
I've been lurking around the site - and decided to just jump right in while I am still motivated.

My name is Jaime (31). I have been married almost 14 years (12/16) to my DH (also 31). We have 3 kids, 2 dogs, clutter, chaos and debt.

I KNOW 2009 will be the year for us. We won't be debt free - but we will be well on our way; creating new habits, eliminating debt, and saving for our future (and our first home).

We've had a rough six months, but we are slowly getting caught up. By January we should have our Baby EF paid in full and also be able to start our Snowball Fight.

Here are my challenges to myself for the next 40 days:
1. Create Debt Thermometer to hang on the wall
2. Balance the checkbook 3x a week (no more relying on the Online Banking
balances (thus no more bank fees - ever!)
3. Start Baby EF
4. Create Snowball Fight list

I look forward to getting to know each of you!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Welcome! You'll find all the support and advice you need here. I look forward to watching your progress :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Welcome to the village! I really love your idea of a debt thermometer!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome! Looking forward to following your journey :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh... it ain't pretty.
I am so not an artist... but once I start filling in the red part (thus paying off fills), I am sure it will be looking might fine. My first 7 credit cards are all $600 or less (snowball is looking to be about $750)... The first bit should go by fast.

None-the-less, challenge one is done and I have the red Sharpie stains to prove it.

And sadly enough...I don't have 15 posts yet, so I can't show pictures.
off to post some hello's

I ran out of room... I prolly shoulda done circles.

There you have it -- $90K in debt (total with everything)...Goal is to have it paid off by 2014. Oh! I wish I had a fast forward >>>>>>> button!

Thanks for all of your well wishes and welcomes!

·
Registered
279 Posts
This is a great place for ideas and motivation. I am fairly new myself and have picked up some great ideas here.:grnwave:

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Hi and :welcome: Try to enjoy your debt reduction journey, I know that's easier said then done. I'm nearing the end of my several years of debt reduction and though I won't miss my debt, I thought I would have the feeling of dancing or celebrating a victory. I felt just as empowered along the way as the debts were paid off and the balance came down (those smaller victories kept me going), so enjoy the process and I can't wait to see your progress :grnwave:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Grocery Shopping and Nov W5 and Dec W1 Budgets

Thanks again for the welcome!

I went grocery shopping today... and budgeted $85. I went to Wal-Mart without an coupons (shame on me) and spent $75. Of course, I did have a calculator and stuck to my list. Mr. Funny will have to go out on Friday to get Tortillas, Bread, Potatoes and Cranberry Sauce. We like bread from a certain store (hey, if you are going to eat the extremely cheap stuff, it has to be the best! right?). Wal-Marts potatoes were $4 a bag (OMG!) and they were just plain out of Cranberry Sauce (jellied, thank you very much). We are celebrating T-Day on Saturday with my parents. So, I have $10 left for that stuff.

It didn't seem like I got all that much (bottom of the receipt says 43 items). I had some stuff already in the pantry. We are just abt out of meat - so, most of the meals will be quick and easy.

I did have to buy some toiletries which we only do every other month.
I am looking forward to next week (the 5th)... Mr. Funny gets paid - and that is our COSTCO paycheck!! Two Hundred Smack-A-Roos! Heaven. :lol3: Plus we will have an additional $110 for groceries. So, I will be able to buy ALL of our meat for the month, and stockpile cans and applesauces and puddings and stuff like that. I ju st have to find a way to save more money. Maybe Wal-Mart isn't the way to go.

Day.........Dinner
Friday..........Homemade Bean Burritos and Spanish Rice
Saturday......Thanksgiving @ my moms
Sunday........Chicken and Baked Potatoes
Monday........Mac N Cheese
Tuesday.......Eggs, Potatoes and Toast
Wednesday..Tuna Salad Sandwhiches
Thursday......Hotdogs and Potato Salad

Just a side note. Mr. Funny and I both work outside of the home. I get off between 4:30 and 5 (M-F) and he works Sunday - Wednesday from 7am to 8-9pm (LOOOONG days. We decided to no longer wait for him M-W, so we keep it pretty simple those days. Costs less money too. It's cheaper to feed the kids cereal for dinner! =)

December is when we will start our new budget. I have the first week to share.
And some of you may not care - but I really think it's going to keep me accountable to post this kind of stuff! :D :D

Budget - Nov W5
Rent................$1330
Gas.................$60 (to add to Costco Gift Card and kept in Van)
Food................$95
First Premier.....$25

Budget - Dec W1
Daycare............$160
DishNetwork......$75
Phone/Internet...$85
Electricity..........$120
Gas..................$70
Food.................$110 (Envelope)
Costco..............$200
Water...............$50
Verizon (Cell).....$150
MISC................$326 (to go to Credit Card minimums before Snowball begins)
Toiltries............$20 (Envelope)
Clothes.............$20 (Envelope)

So there you have it... =)
Off to figure out how I can shave the food budget down (I have abt 400 right now) or just get more for my buck! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

(I know the alignment is all over the place, sorry! Can't wait to be able to post pics!)

Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SammeyG... Looks like we are in the same neck of the woods... eer desert? =)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, today is our T-day with my parents... I have a lot to do; Green Bean casserole, Crandberry Sauce, Mashed Potatoes and get three kids and one husband ready by 3pm. Oh, I guess I should throw my self in the mix - I need to get ready for sure. =)

Some good news. Down 4lbs since November 1. It's because we are no longer drinking soda. At all. We save money and lose weight. Nice! =)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I am excited. I get to do a REAL Costco shop on Friday. I have $200 to spend (I need diapers and wipes and all kinds of stuff!). [Stay under budget, Honey!]

We also have our normal Friday grocery shopping, so I have to make some meal plans and shopping lists today (in addition to finishing my final exam for Economics class - yuck!).

Tomorrow is my little boy's birthday! He will be two!!! OMG! I cannot believe it. Nic was born at 28 weeks weighing only 3lbs. He was in the NICU for 8 weeks, and had surgery to seal a valve in his heart. He is a tough little man who has come a long way. To look at him and to interact with you - one could never tell he was born premature. He is perfect in everyway (except when he has a blue crayon to the wall).

I have to make him a :cake: ... oh it's going to be a busy week!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So... I think I mentioned previously that Mr. Funny got a promotion. He is now on salary (nice for the budget) - so a raise there (Friday's paycheck is the first!). He also got a $2K bonus! After taxes (ugh!) it's $1066 - there is our BABY EMERGENCY FUND!!

Not to mention... January is a three paycheck month for him! After food and gas and stuff, we will have $1100 from that 3rd paycheck to put towards our snowball.

And finally, I just got notice, my reimbursement check from school will be here at the end of the month! $1397!

My first 8 cards are all $600 or less each. We are going to be able to pay off several cards the first 2 months! (Our Snowball is a whopping $600 (not including $400 for the minimums).

I am pleased, and will take what I can get, since I know it won't always be this easy.

We will continue to put a hundred or so in savings for our truck, which we have to fix (we are only using one vehicle right now). If I get that new job, I may be working different hours - in the other direction, so carpooling won't be an option.

P.S. It's also my b-day... My employees got me a Gift Card to my favorite semi-fast food place (Mexican) - with enough cash loaded to feed me at least 5 lunches!! Yummy!

Off to go change my siggy!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Congratulations on Mr Funnys promotion and your cheque from school, that will certainly start making that snowball bigger. :applause:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.