Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
..so we get a piece of mail today that looks an awful lot like a bank overdraft notice. I give it to DH, who opens it and we had a $2000 automatic payment that bounced and got hit with a $25 NSF charge. He looks at me and gets mad because he thinks it's my IRA contribution I just put it. I can't believe it, because I waited a whole week and a half after the ING transfer and checked the balance, so I know they money was in there. After looking at a few more dates, I realized that not only is it the wrong date, it's the wrong amount - my IRA was for $2100, not $2000. Then we look at the account number - it is for DH's personal checking account.

Now, after much cursing, he realizes that it is the CC payment he made for his computer purchase this month. He got a large check in so he had enough to cover it. More swearing emanates from our office...

Turns out he was going to be a little short and wanted to send them some extra, so he moved $700 over from his ING savings account. EXCEPT HE MADE THE TRANSFER IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!! He thought he pulled $700 out of ING and into his checking, when he really pulled $700 out of checking and put it in ING. :hat:

Man, you don't know how hard I was laughing at this.... Now we have to hope that he can get the money back into checking before the CC payment is due - it's due on the 10th and the $700 he accidentally transferred won't be available until the 5th.
:crackup: :loop: :loser: :laugh:

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Oh no, I hope it all works out for you! Hey, at least it was his mistake and not yours, that must have made you feel good :).

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
I'm paranoid about moving money the wrong way. I read it, and read it, and read it again... just to be sure!

Isn't it glorious when finger pointing backfires? I'd be laughing too!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
thank goodness you figured it out and it can be fixed.

i did something similar last month paying my CC online i accidentally selected and old CC account with the same bank and sent a $400 payment to that account then i had to call the bank and instead of the jsut transfering it they had to send me a check (10-14 biz days) and then i had to deposit it and re-pay the correct CC.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Wow, that's so funny! That sounds like somehting my hubby could do. Don't you just love those gratifying "told you so" moments? ;)

In all seriousness, I hope it doesn't cause much pain as it is sorted out. I know transferring money and bouncing checks and stuff can cause little annoyances for quite a while.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Oh man, I did the exact same thing!! :D Thought I moved $1,000 from ING to checking when in fact I moved $1,000 from checking to ING. And I had bills coming in, yikes!!! There I was, red faced and at the mercy of my banker when trying to tell her what I'd done. Hadn't bounced a check in years and by the time the smoke cleared 7 bills came in that didn't have enough funds to cover. They were nice enough to remove half the charges (although I've been a loyal customer for years and thought they should have taken them all off, I won't complain about half though ;) ). From then on I'm super paranoid about moving them the correct way.

I bet the cursing he did to himself matched my own when this happened to me, haha. Too funny! Tell him to call that stupid tax, or tuition to the school of stupid, hehe. It cost to learn that lesson the hard way but I bet he NEVER does that again. :D

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
That is something that I would do. I always check it and recheck it but hey it could happen to anyone!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm paranoid about moving money the wrong way. I read it, and read it, and read it again... just to be sure!
I do the same thing when I'm paying bills and transferring money.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Oh no! At least you know he can't be mad at you because it was his mistake. I hope he is able to get it all cleared.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts