Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1671 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is our new thread for 2010.

Please list the name of the book and the author if you can ~ I'll make a master list over here ~ http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/group.php?groupid=30 and I'll try to link to amazon or librarything or someplace similar so you can see the reviews there.

If you want to leave a review here on FV, click here ~ http://www.frugalvillage.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=2

We should have a great master list by the end of the year :) :) :)

I may not update every day but I will update a few times a week for sure. I'll hit the "thanks" button under your post so you'll know for sure whether or not I added your book to the master list (give me a few days before reminding me, LOL!) Subscribe to this thread so you can see how much we are reading!

I'm not much of a reviewer, personally, but I will post whether or not I think a book is worth your time :)

Also, don't forget that any kind of book counts as well as re-reads, ebooks, and audio books.

The challenge runs from January 1, 2010 to December 31, 2010.

Happy reading, Villagers!!!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
frugalwarrior...how funny! I was just coming to post that I am currently reading Under the Dome and will definitely not be done by January 1, 2010, so that could be the book to kick us off, as I will definitely be reading it at the start of the New Year!

I'm enjoying it, as well.

I think Mr. King has forgotten how to write a short story. The book is over 1,000 pages long, for those who don't know! :)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Looking forward to this - will be interesting to see how much I do read. I am often reading 'informational' books (while watching TV) but don't list them on the book challenges... but I will now!!

I am not much of a 'reviewer' either........but will give my opinion if I liked it or not.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have "Under the Dome" waiting to be read, too! I hope it's good ~ some of this latest stuff I really thought was kind of blah.

·
19,119 Posts
So now I'm going to have to get 'Under the Dome"!! Just finished the last Harry Potter book - Have reread the series several times - just for wonderful entertainment!!

Now to find my first book for 2010!!

Reactions: nancycg56

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Nancy, did you read Lisey's Story? (maybe it was Lisey's Song...can't remember.)

I thought that one was pretty good.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Nancy-Agreed. Used to be a huge fan and read everything he wrote. Starting w/ about "Misery" not so much. Funky endings,weirdness made me think the writing was being rushed and written for tv and movies. Can't help it I am still a dead paper book kinda Gal. Never even a book on tape and definately not a kindler.lol

·
Registered
625 Posts
I, too have started Under the Dome, love love love Stephen King...I have read Lisey's Story (thought that one was a little weird), Duma Key (pretty good)...but among my fave King books are The Stand ( the absolute BEST) , Bag of Bones, Geralds' Game (freaky) It .....haven't read The Green Mile ,but I loved the movie....I have even been to his house in Maine...didnt go there just for that, but to see my cousin and she took me to see it....

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Ooh, Duma Key...I liked that one also.

Okay...I think we Stephen King readers have hijacked the thread! :)

Anyone else have something that they'll be starting out the New Year with, with regards to books?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I love Stephen King also....But got out of reading him for a while because his writing style was just getting old. The last book I read by him was "from a buick 8" It was ok, but not the best. Right now I'm just a few pages into "Watch over me" by Christa Parrish. Seems pretty good so far. This will be my kick off book for 2010!!!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm reading The Help by Katherine Stockett ~ I love it so far! I won't be done by the first so this will be my kickoff book :)

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Ooh, Nancy...I'll be interested to hear what you think of "The Help." I picked it up and put it down and picked it up and put it down. I wound up not buying it, but I was definitely interested!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I am thinking that my kick off book will be pursuit of honor by vince flynn. It was a xmas gift and i am so excited to start it.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
About 100 pages into the Stephen King book I recieved and I am loving it. "Under the Dome" is the title. It remind me a little of Cell which I liked also.
frugalwarrior...how funny! I was just coming to post that I am currently reading Under the Dome and will definitely not be done by January 1, 2010, so that could be the book to kick us off, as I will definitely be reading it at the start of the New Year!

I'm enjoying it, as well.

I think Mr. King has forgotten how to write a short story. The book is over 1,000 pages long, for those who don't know! :)
Just went over to Amazon to read a synopsis so I'd know what you all were talking about and it sounds like a book my husband would really enjoy....he likes zombies and this one seems to have an interesting twist on it....I think I'll recommend this book to him! He's still home recovering from surgery, so he has time for 1,000 pages :)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
This is Jan. selections:

The Red Heart by James Alexander Thom .. historical fiction
U is for Undertow by Sue Grafton .. mys. fic
Thin is the New Happy by Valerie Frankel... non-fic

1 - 20 of 1671 Posts