Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new year full of reading adventures ahead! All are welcome to post about the books you read. Reviews, recommendations and goals wanted. :thumb:

Once again I'd like to read at least 100 books. I can't wait for the warmer weather, my idea of a great time is to sit outside and devour book after book. :cloud9:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I used to read a lot when I was younger. Over time and work, I gradually quit reading and just turned to the TV. Well, near the end of 2012 I got myself a Kindle Fire. I have now started to enjoy reading again.

So far, since December, I have read:
Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Breaking Twig by Deborah Epperson *this one was pretty good*
Highland Healer by Willa Blair *I really enjoyed this one, I love romances*

At the moment I am reading:
Patriots Awakening by R. R. Strauhs

I think I have rediscovered a love of reading using my Kindle.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
In! I downloaded a bunch of free classics for my Kindle. I have a ton of books I want to read to the kids. I have a list of books I want to read for myself.

Currently reading The Happiness Project.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I am in. Reading is how i unwind at night. Thanks Darlene for starting the thread again this year!

Reactions: Debbie-cat

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I would like to read more this year than last....as crazy as it sounds I am too lazy to read....Plus it makes me sleepy....I don't know, I'll go throw spurts where I will read alot then not at all....so this year I will read more...I don't have a goal in mind...just more than last year

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm in - while I love to read I'm only challenging myself to 12 this year. A lot of other issues going on now. Just downloaded Jane Austen's Persuasion onto my Kindle - $0

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I'm in this year. I joined the book club at the library so I know I will read at least 12 books so I will add 3 more for a total of 15. I do a lot of other reading as well but these will be novels.

Currently reading "The Buddha in the Attic" by Julie Otsuka and "Eat, Pray and Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert.

Thanks Darlene for starting us again!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I joined the book club at my library also and plan on keeping up with the reading list this year. I joined in the fall and only read 50% of the books on the list. In addition to that, I just got a e-reader library card to the county library system. I plan on borrowing some e-books and reading some paper books too. I like to go to the library and check out the new book tables. One for fiction and one nonfiction. I regularly find books that I'm interested in reading there.

I think I'll commit to 12 books, but really plan on reading one every 2 weeks or so. I get pretty busy gardening once spring hits....it takes away from my reading.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I need to jump back into reading. I have started Halloween Man, and will get some reading done in the 16+ hours it will take me to make the round trip to/from Alabama, so I will hopefully finish it.

I am not going to give myself a target of number of books, but will just give myself a target of days in which I took time to unwind and read a book. So far, this year, zero.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
I'm reading The Racketeer by John Grisham. When I can get my hands on my iPad, however. DS1 has found some sorting games that he loves and he regularly confiscates the iPad. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have just finished - and will return to the library tomorrow - "Deadly Code" by Lin Anderson. "The past meets the future with deadly consequences" . . . It features Forensic Scientist Rhona MacLeod and is set in western Scotland/The Western Isles.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I am getting too involved with these books. I am having to stop on the Patriots Awakening because I forgot that I had an E-book from the public library that I need to read first.

So now I am reading The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. After that I will go back to Patriots.

Talk about a reading challenge....I am my own worst challenge. :)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I am in for 2 books a month.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I am in again. I will set my goal for 30 and try to do more. I only have a few pages left of "Money secrets of the Amish" by Loriee Craker. I loved it. Its a ibrary copy but if I ever run across it used I will add it to my library at home.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Finished "Buddha in the Attic" last night. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Reading comes second to breathing, in my life. My next-door neighbour just called with four books she's loaning me: one I know I won't read - it's by Martina Cole and to my mind, she writes in sound-bites for people with short attention-spans. However, after a suitable interval, I will return it and be polite.

The other three are: NYPD Red, by James Patterson & Marshall Karp; The Treatment, by Mo Hayder; A Suitable Vengeance, by Elizabeth George, which I know I have read but, as with the Martina Cole book, I will return it later.

I also went to the public library today (not yesterday, as planned) and returned two novels, brought home one: it's by Gladys Mitchell, one of my favourite authors from The Golden Age of Detective Fiction.

Right next to me, to be packaged up and sent off to a friend in New York, is Peter Robinson's "Before the Poison"

Like I said - reading comes second to breathing: and sometimes, even first.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Finished Gone Girl last night. Now I'm reading George R.R. Martin's Storm of Swords. I hope to finish it before the 3rd season of Game of Thrones begins. I like to see how the show deviates from the books.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts