Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah so I am a little early posting this,lol. This weeks challenge is going to be repurposing something from yours or Dh/so closet into something for one of the kiddos! I know that most of us have something in the closet that never gets worn so get creative with it! Post before and after pics here!

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Great idea Holly, I don't have any kids myself. But can't wait to see what others post.

·
Registered
758 Posts
This is going to be hard for me, but I will see what I can come up with. I have 2 ds. I know dh has some old t-s he's not wearing, but what can I make? Help, I need ideals. Thanks.

·
8,714 Posts
This is going to be hard for me, but I will see what I can come up with. I have 2 ds. I know dh has some old t-s he's not wearing, but what can I make? Help, I need ideals. Thanks.
~The reconstructed clothing forums at Craftster.org can give you a ton of ideas!~

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm back. I found a long sleeve t of dh (its been in drawer for a couple years). For the challenge I cut off the sleeves and hemmed them, now I just need to find some kind of iron-on to spruce it up a little. First time sewing t-shirt material went better than I expected. I took the old sleeves and added them to one of mine (of course I had to do some adjusting to them first). I'm pleased with the results.
The real challenge for me is to figure out how to post pictures. Maybe ds 15 can help me. I do have before and after photos.
Constance, I love craftster. I never thought of it lastnight. I was just to excited and just kinda went for it.
Very fun challenge.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
OH OH OH! I just went through our closet earlier today. I know wha ti"m making!!!

BBL..lol

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Oh... I'm ALMOST done!!!!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Ok, I'm done!! WOOHOOO

Before:

AFter, modelled by dd4 with messy staticky hair..lol. I want the dress shorter at the knee but she won't hear of it.:

·
Registered
908 Posts
I wish I knew how to sew

I actually bought colored thread and a needle. I need to repair some things. I bought this stuff a year ago and haven't repaired anything yet.

I'm getting everything out tonight and just doing it :)

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
mmy2grls, I started out like you! Didn't know a thing. Then I got a tax return, went to an actual sewing store and spent $200 on a little sewing machine, so I could mend ds pants(he was almost 3). They offered a free course to get to know your machine. Now 11 years later, I not only sew, but can draft, do dressmaking and design..lol. I got the bug. My first money earning undertaking was cloth diapers, sold a mint of those. I won't do them anymore as the market is so terrible out there. Need expensive fabrics, the best of the best. You make abou $1 a diaper, not worth all the time and energy. Then I did boutique clothing for a bit. Now, I sew for my kidlets mostly, although my business is starting to include sewn items again. Got burned out for awhile.

But don't hesitate, go into an actual sewing machine store, many offer classes. Beginner classes. Usually not overly expensive and then you gofrom there.

·
Registered
908 Posts
My mom knows how to sew. I've been thinking about buying a machine forever. My mom used to make me the most styling outfits when I was little.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mommy4ever,

That is a super cute dress! Good job!
I think I will work on the challenge tonight!

·
Registered
758 Posts
mommy4ever,
Your dress is cute and so is your daughter.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
what a great challenge!

i was thinking of doing something like this anyway.

dh has a couple tees that he cant wear/doesnt want anymore and ds wants but i need to fix for him.

first, a couple tees have sleeves that ds doesnt want (for gym/workout shirts), resize (hem and take in) some and such.

unfortunately i dont have a camera :(
so i can't do that part... BUT i'll let you know when i'm done. :)

it's only like 5 tees, so it shouldn't be TOO long (i hope!) to fix.

however, with all the other project... :lol:

:sewing:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts