Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Thought I'd jump in an issue a new challenge. Starting it on the Friday instead of the Monday, as we might have more time.

I've seen lots of posts recently about aprons, so thought I'd post about an apron challenge. I've been wanting one a long time, but still haven't made them.

Why would you want an apron? Isn't it an old fashioned Suzy Home maker thing??

Not at all. IT SAVES YOUR CLOTHES! I can't tell you how many shirts I've ruined with oil when cooking, or soiled clean clothes while baking. An Apron saves wear and tear on your clothes, and prevents potentially ruining your clothes.

I'm plnaning ot make a couple cooking a prons and a cleaning one(large pockets and stuff for rags, a couple loops for spray bottles.

How about you?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm in! I have some heavy duty cotton twill that I wasn't sure what to do with. I think I might make myself a bakers apron and I may have enough fabric to make 2.

I love aprons! I got in the habit of wearing them when I took culinary arts in hs. My memere also wore them all the time and my sisters and I have made quilts out of some of them.

I also love fabric tablecloths and use them constantly!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a memere(or had :( ) and a pepere. Miss her dearly. She did aprons too. But there is such stigma..lol I too have some twill with no purpose, so I"ll do that. Might make some child size ones for my girls. As they are wanting to learn more and more, may as well make it fun.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I finished my Apron! Ds and DH are out of the house tonight at a basketball game so I had the house to myself. I wish I had a digital camera so I could post a pic. it is an apple green mini stripe fabric and came out great! Tomorrow I am going to make a smaller version for ds for when he cooks with me!

Mommy4ever: I miss my Memere too! My Pepere(s) and other Memere died before I was born. I am glad that ds has his Memere to knit and sew for him. Years from now (many, many years from now) I will be a Memere too!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Okay, I'm going to try to sew an apron. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm snowed in, so this will be a great project for me to tackle this weekend. Now I just need to search my stach for the perfect fabric. Hi! Ho! Hi! Ho! off I go.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I finished my apron lastnight. It's red and white stripe. I think I need to add a pocket it looks so plain. I gathered the front, can I still add a pocket?
Constance your apron looks great. Very fancy.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hehe.. I didn't even get to start!~ What was supposed to be a nice quiet weekend ended up super busy! Maybe Wednesday I'll get it done.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I made another apron with my green stripe fabric for ds. His is a regular square apron with a front pocket. He's already worn it and it's in the wash!

nuisance26: I love your apron and your blog! You've really been busy making the training pants! They are looking very cute!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Okay, this is one for the record books. I've completed an apron. A dish towel apron to be precise. I found the instructions on MarthaStewart.com. It was sew easy (bad pun). But for a beginner this project was great. As soon as I can get my 18yodd to help me, I'll upload a photo. There are so many variations you could do with this project. (As I was sewing, my creative gears were turning.) Stay tuned for the pic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts