Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Inactive
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping others want to join me in this challenge.

I've got a ton of games... board games, card games, computer games, video games. And I know a lot of you do, too. I've known people who've had closets full of games and hardly ever used them. I've got tons of video games... some on newer systems, some on older ones. Why not use these? I feel guilty for doing so a lot of times but... we paid for these games! Why not have fun?

And, for that matter, FV has an entire arcade!

This is a part "use your stuff" and part "stop feeling guilty for having a good time" challenge. There could be individual goals here as well as overall "encourage myself to play games and have fun" goals.

Does anybody want to join me in my quest to use have fun with games?

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I will. I lilke board games. We got a new one for Christmas that we haven't had a chance to play yet. It's called Apples to Apples.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Apples to Apples is a huge hoot. The more people, the better! This is a fun challenge. Right now, DH and I have a weekly stay-in-double-dinner-and-games date with a couple we're good friend with. We got Yatzee for Christmas, and DH has never played before, so we're excited to get that out during our next double date. Its a great time!

·
Inactive
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My foot split open and so I'm trying to stay off it (it just got too dry, I think) so I've been playing lots of video games. Today, Jeremy rented Viva Pinata for me, because I'd been thinking of buying it, and I spend ALL DAY playing it. Incredibly fun game.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Apples to Apples is a very fun game..got it for Christmas and glad I asked for it. The more people playing the better.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I need to make a point to play games with ds more often. We have a collection of board games. I did learn to use his nintendo ds a bit, he has tetris, and we play computer games together, but I'd like to play more board games than electronic. I should pick a night to be game night.

·
Inactive
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I played Animal Crossing for about an hour this morning. I really do love that game. I've got to play tonight, too, to get a recording from K.K. Slider for my tape player.

I'm thinking of cataloging all of my video games and my board games. The video games will be easier because I can do that online. I'm not sure how I'll do the board games, though.

·
Inactive
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need to make a point to play games with ds more often. We have a collection of board games. I did learn to use his nintendo ds a bit, he has tetris, and we play computer games together, but I'd like to play more board games than electronic. I should pick a night to be game night.
I used have game night with an ex (not ex at the time) and our friends about once a week. It was a BLAST. I should try to do that with Jeremy... see if he'll agree to once a month, at least.

Jeremy and I used to live in a house where all the rooms were sublet - it had once been a frat house and is now a frat house again, but when we lived there, it wasn't. Anyway... we ended up with a bunch of friends living there. We played lots of games in the kitchen, several nights a week. While I don't really miss living there, I do miss some things... like that.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
DH and I are spending a lot of his unemployed time lately playing computer games (we network) rather than going out or spending money on other entertainment. We also have friends over once a week, or so, and I have proposed we dig into our stack of boxed and board games. I figure if we play a new game every other week we are good until July!

·
Inactive
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got online with my Wii last night. A friend came to visit in Animal Crossing! We had so much fun!

·
Inactive
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anybody else been playing games? I've played my games a lot lately... spent many, many hours on Animal Crossing. Having much fun with it.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Misa...tell me about Viva Pinata. I've been thinking about that and Animal Crossing for the kids for their birthdays.

·
Inactive
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Amy, I'm going to copy over a review I wrote:

This game is cute in a slightly disturbing way.

In Viva Pinata, you manage a garden and try to attract pinatas. They become residents and can reproduce (via the romance dance). You can make money by gardening or selling off pinatas. But there are bad pinatas and even your good ones fight from time to time. Plus, a pinata's gotta eat and some of them eat other pinatas. All a part of the Donut of Life, I guess.

The disturbing part? Watching several pinatas gather around a sick/dying one waiting for it to die so they can eat its insides (candy). Also disturbing is the sounds the animals make when they are sick... in many cases, it sounds like they are struggling to breathe. However, these are disturbing in an amusing sort of way and increase my enjoyment of the game.

My only complaints are that the game can be quite demanding and some pinatas fight constantly. Those are only minor complaints, though, and do not really lessen my enjoyment of the game. This is one of the more interesting and unique sims that I have come across. The game is extremely addictive and I found myself playing for several hours at a time.

With all that being said, if you get Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (which I would - it's just like the old one, but with more stuff added), you can then play a mode that is just about having fun without trying to attain any levels or anything. Everything is all laid out in front. I think this mode would be better for kids. Like I said, you do have to be paying attention pretty much the whole time you're playing, so for the very young ones, that might not be best. This is a game where, really, it depends on your kids, their attention span, and maturity level.

You can find a IGN Video: Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise Xbox 360 Review - Video Review. It's got sound, of course, so if you're surprising the kiddos, don't open this in front of it.

Whatever you do, do NOT get Viva Pinata Party Animals. You may find it cheap, but the game totally sucks.

I would HIGHLY recommend Animal Crossing though, for all ages.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I get out to a "board game night" with some friends about one a month. I've always enjoyed games, and the history of games. I've even designed a few of my own board games, with limited distribution.

Sadly, my wife can't stand to play anything ... except maybe a few hands of rummy, sometimes Scrabble. Funny, she has a B.S. in psychology and doesn't find the mental part of gaming fascinating.

Anyway -- by all means get out and find folks to game with. Sometimes they turn into great conversations and we forget we're even supposed to be destroying each other. ;-)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
A weekend long Risk game with ds's. I will re-conquer Asia yet, bwahahaha.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
I'm not sure if my dd's psyche could conquer the image of horses cannibilzing. Perhaps I'll check out Animal Crossing, instead. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts