Frugal Village Forums banner

Gardeners Hours?

1050 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  scottVee
Hi ya'll! Through my husband's ad in the paper for rototilling, I am now the gardener at and assisted living facility for the mentally handicapped. My question is, what kind of hours do they work? Is it perfectly acceptable for me to leave by 2:30 if I start around 8 am? They are technically "hiring" me, but only for tax purposes since I will be making so much money that it's easier to do the 10-40 tax form than the one where they don't withhold the taxes. :coffee3:
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
I would think as long as you do a good job and do it quickly (i.e. 2 weeks to plant one bed.) they wouldn't bother you to much about leaving after lunch time.
If they hired you for certain number of hours- you should negotiate the time with them.

If they hired you to be there at a certain time (because they have activities that involve gardening for instance) then you'll have to abide by the hours set by them.

If they hired you to do a certain activity... like plant a 3000 square foot garden... then you're truly on your own. Just get it done in the time frame they want it.

But.. I am assuming, because you are asking, that you can pretty much make your hours.

And gardening from 8am to 2:30 pm is a LONG day of gardening! YIKES! Everyday?

I am confused about the tax stuff you mentioned. A 1040 is the IRS tax form you used to get your refund. And if they didn't withhold taxes- you still need to claim the income on an IRS form.

Congrats on the job!!! BTW!!! that seems like loads of fun!
See less See more
Yes, that's a long day of gardening. Of course, which hours and how many is part of any work agreement. You work what you promised to work -- I don't know that anyone here can change that.

You sound confused about taxes. If you're an employee, taxes are deducted from your pay; if you're self-employed they aren't. Self-employed means you have to add a "Schedule C" (Profit or Loss from Business) to your 1040 and pay the self-employment tax at that time. But no matter what, you submit a 1040 tax form each April. Note that there is some small amount of income you can make on your own before it must be reported -- I think the amount is around $2,500 per year and it varies from state to state.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.