Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other people were complaining about their bills around here and I kept thinking ours was so low. Well, I got smacked for that. We just got our bill today and apparently that huge cold spell did a number on us. It's still not unreasonable for both, but gosh, that's a big increase. It made me want to go and turn the heat down as soon as I got it. We never even turn it up past 67 and it's freezing in here right now. I'm so bummed. That's $100 that's not going to saving this month:(

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I hear ya! Both my gas & electric more than doubled this month! I'm really ticked! I've been keeping the thermostat low and have been a stickler about turning off or not using lights, etc... I got the bills a couples of days ago and it's like..... why bother!! I know, I know .... my bills would probably be ten times higher, but geez!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
My electric was more than normal. About $75 more than what it dose during the summer. That is with the a.c. going almost all the time. It is $100 more this month than what it has been in years past for this time of year. Normally we run under $100 during the winter months. All my dh said to justify it was that is has been colder this year than in years past. Well I guess that we will just have to wear colthing in layers and be under blankets.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I really had that "why bother" feeling too. I'm always shutting off lights, dressing warm, keeping doors to the bathrooms shut, etc... I guess we'll be dressing even warmer this month.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
That why bother thing got me the month before this. I was even using the dryer and just in general not paying attention....and wow did I pay for it. This month I'm a mizer and hoping for a little drop.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Can you ring around various utility companies and see what price they will charge you a kilowatt hour?

Electricity prices go up and down in relation to the spot steaming coal price, the oil price, and demand. In the colder weather, demand goes up so the price will go up, so even if you are using the same amount of electricity as you did this time a year ago, it may cost more because the demand (due to the exceptionally cold weather you are having) is greater.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Our electric bill is up to $200 this time. Well I called the electric company and talked to their rep. We went through and tried to figure out what is really guzzling the electric. Of course it's the baseboard heaters. Our bill runs about $80 in the summer, even running the two room air conditioners we have. So, those darned heaters have run our electric up $120 extra since October. I told my hubby we better get the other furnace in and run as soon as possible. Of course it won't be until spring, but darn! I hate to pay that, and I haven't even gotten the gas bill yet.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Got my Electric Bill today. Whole house is electric. (electric heat pump, which is basically useless in this weather) Total was $251 :thud: Last couple of months it was $139/149 I have had the heat upto 70/71 all day and then 68 at night because it's been so cold. I hear next week we are supposed to heat up to around the 50 degree mark WHOOOOO HOOO!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We can't shop around here. There seems to be a monopoly. One utility company. One phone service. One cable company. Makes me miss the north a lot:(

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I also found out my gas bill will be allmost tripled from the cold weather, but she said, take heart, everybody's is up. I still don't feel any better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts