Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gas here his 2.99. They just had an interesting segment on our local news explaing about the swamped refineries. The gentleman speaking said to expect it to get worse before it gets better. He urged WI residents not to panic and swamp the stations because there are shortages. He also urged people to do the speedlimit and to please not go if its not necessary to conserve gas. Some other areas of WI are well over 3.00.

I was waiting until I was on E to get gas because the dealer told me I need a close to empty tank to change to the ethanol 85 gas. I should have been close to E after my 30 mile trip to work tomorrow. The only station that sells the E85 gas with in 50 miles is about 8 miles from work. I thought the .50 savings a gallon would be worth the trip.

I must confess though that after seeing the news I will be gassing up this morning locally after orientation at school. I have a tad under 1/4 a tank. That will take me 1 trip to work. I'm not taking the chance and will put 20$ in this morning.

I was planning to take Ds thrift saling sat. We will NOT  be taking the 30 mile trip to the big town to thrift sale. We will be taking the guys advice on tv and doing our part to conserve gas. I hope others will also do their part to conserve also.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I don't believe that most Americans would conserve anything. We are just too used to having anything we want.:confused:

·
27,948 Posts
We've been conserving here, gas is being used to & from work and one trip for groceries. All errands are combined. We've always done that tho.
Wish people would car pool more, everyone likes the convienence of being able to go where they want when they want...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Has anyone seen closed gas stations yet --- just out of gas altogether?

I just heard from a business contact in the southeast (SC) who said there are closed stations there, and a fellow in my office says that a local station is out of gas.

This could get interesting.............

I conserve as much as I know how to do. I don't speed, I don't floor the pedal when I leave a stop, I turn the engine off at the bank in the drive through, and I try to anticipate upcoming stop signs and turns and just lay off the gas a ways back to slow down as much as possible before using the brake. The people behind me will just have to be patient.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
It's getting bad. I filled up at the gas station below work yesterday after I dropped Paige off at daycare it was $2.49 that was at 7:20 shortly after they opened. When I left work at 4 to go get Paige it was $2.60 when I drove back past it after picking her up to go home the had the prices down again. This morning I noticed it wat $2.80, $2.88 & $2.96 at that one now. It's rumored by some of the convience store workers that it will be over $3 for the cheap stuff if not by the end of today, then by this weekend. :bang: I've got to where now I try to get everything done during the week when traveling home from work and just leave the car parked on Saturday's and Sunday's.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
I've certainly been trying to do my part to conserve. I'm staying at home as much as possible, combining all errands and shopping trips, heck I've even driven 55 in a 70! Now, if you knew how hard that was for me to do you'd really appreciate me for that ;)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Regular unleaded was $2.43 on Monday morning --- today it is $2.89.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
i think some owners are price gouging. i passed a hess station on my way to work monday and it was 2.51 a gal for reg. on tuesday morning it was 2.57 on the way home it was 2.59 and i know this guy didnt get a new delivery of gas..why did they raise it..i know because they could..i think price gougers should be jailed..

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Gas here in Western NC just hit $3.19 and that was at the cheap (hot spot) in town. I do not know what we will do. We heat with gas also.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's $3.29 here this morning. We're supposed to go on a trip to another state starting Sat. to check up on elderly relatives. DH almost backed out last night when  prices hit $2.75 -- hope he agrees to go ahead and call it off when he gets home. The big problem is with him starting a new job it will be another year before we have time to go again.

I have been sick the last two days, so I'm really not interested in going anywhere right now -- except to bed. The problem is when I lay down is when I get really sick.

·
Registered
139 Posts
we're only using our car to get groceries and for our weekend yard saling/thrift storing. We've been walking everywhere else, including to work.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Our supplier of natural gas was doing the prepay option due by sept 14th. I'd not yet sent my check or signed the contract. I promptly signed and mailed it today. I'm not sure of the likelyhood but I'm a little worried they could back out of the prepay if it wasn't already paid for. Most of the winter heating suppliers did NOT do prepay at all this year. I decided to take the money from my ef instead of waiting unitil the pay check on 9/12 just in case.
On another note I did put 20$ in my tank this morning at 2.99 on the way to the school orientation. Well I was a day early! It's tomorrow. I'm glad I went though because my car was steaming. Better today than on my 30 mile commute to work tomorrow. The kiddos and I walked the 4 miles home.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yeah, it does stink. I'm glad I filled up on Monday evening, even though I already had a 1/2 tank because I anticipated it going up. It was I think 2.34 or something, and this morning it was 2.75. Yuck. I know it has made me change the way I do things in my own life. For example, if I had an overdue book, I'd just go return it, but now, I wait until I have another reason to be on that part of town. It is cheaper to pay the dime a day than to make a special trip.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
We went from $2.56/gallon (cheap stuff) yesterday afternoon to $3.24/gallon (cheap stuff) today :bang:

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
The hot spot here today was $2.47/gal...we waited 5 mins or so to fill up. I have never seen a gas station with that many people trying to fuel up.

The highest we seen was $2.79....and heard its going up :(

I am rethinking every trip I take.We live at least 10 mins from a town that has any kind of store. We'll be combining all trips.I use to anyways,but if I needed bread today but knew I had to go to the bank Friday..I'd just make 2 trips..NOT anymore....
trying to also make Steve drive Ashleys car to work. He drives a 4X4 and she has a honda civic....way cheaper to drive and he better lol

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
when i went to pick dks up from the babysitter, it was $246 ant exxon, $2.47 at wawa and $2.51 at crown, that was on monday. the wawa was out of gas. why they still had their sign lit, i don't know. the line at exxon was out onto the street so i went to crown. paid more, but in that instance i thought the extra i paid to buy gas and not wait was better than fighting to get into teh gas station.
now it was 2.65 at exxon, 2.55 at wawa (who now has gas) and 3.01 at crown. when we ran errands this morning we went past a bp and it was 3.65! a friend wants us to come visit this weekend, but i'm not sure we will. though i do want to see her sometime soon so i can give her her baby gift. she's due in dec. if we go we'll take my neon instead of the van.

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
When Steve went to work..the place where we paid $2.47...was $2.80....went up that much within like 3 hours!:eek:

·
Registered
131 Posts
i filled up yesterday at lunch just to be on the safe side and im glad i did--yesterday i paid $2.56 and today it rose to $3.09. i heard some places were worse than that. glad i didnt wait. i have an 84 mile round trip every day. fortunately i took friday off this week to make me a 4 day weekend and im hoping things are better (guess i can keep my fingers crossed) by mid next week when i should be on empty again.
oh and this is in west virginia btw

1 - 20 of 45 Posts