Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are going through the roof:( I got mine this morning for $1.97 per gallon at Meijers. By the time I got out of the store, the price had shot up to $2.16 per gallon. I feel sorry for the people who can hardly afford gas now. How are the prices where you live? I can remember several years ago when prices skyrocketed, and there was alot of gas theft going on:(

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Oh great. Then it'll really shoot up here probably since it's a touristy area. I saw prices from $1.87 to $1.97 today.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ours have been $2.05 to $2.60 for months now. I live in Southern California. Thank God I telecommute from home. I use a tank 1-2 times a month. DH fills up every week. Ouch!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Re higher gas prices

I can absorb higher gas costs for now because I have chosen to drive a Honda Accord for the past 17 years. My last tank of gas lasted me about a month, but I live only 3 miles from my office. I happen to have a teeny weeny social conscience (no, that does NOT make me a communist, folks) so I try to take the bus to work a couple days a week or more in nice weather. I care about my physical health and like to maintain an ideal weight so I walk the 3 miles home on those days. When I do so, I am routinely nearly run down several times by careless drivers, most of whom are in very large vehicles driving carelessly or too fast. Pedestrians are definitely second-class citizens here in Los Angeles. But I keep doing it, because it is the socially responsible thing to do, aka good stewardship. I'd like to think I set a good example for others by doing this. Guess this makes me one of the evil politically "correct"? Every bit of gas I don't use makes that much less upward price pressure for the other folks, but I never get any thanks for it. Just odd looks.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
It was up to $2.15 here tonight. Dh said it's supposed to be $2.25 by Monday so I'll be filling up mine and my son's car. Dh's boss pays for all of his fuel because he never drives his truck for anything except work. It's our truck but it's so old and about to break down and he doesn't want to wear it out anymore than he has to. It just kills me to only get about 2 gallons of gas for $5.00!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Well here I only put $7.00 in my gas thinking it might go down Monday!:mad: Guess I will fill up my tank. Oh my goodness another thing I will have to think of to give up or cut down on to compensate for the price of gas. Will it never stop?:(

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gayle, I think that it's wonderful what you are doing. I would do the same, except I live in a very rural area, and it's even 6 miles to the nearest grocery store. We always plan our trips though, and have traded in the Lexus for another economy car, because we want better gas mileage. So now we have two economy cars, but really only use one, because dh and I are both retired. I suppose once dd gets her license, she can have the other car.

Hang in there everyone and pray it does not get any worse:angel2:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yesterday I saw the price at 1.94 up from 1.85 last Friday.

We need to put some in our van which hubby will be doing today. I usually only budget $20 a week because we dont' do alot of driving. But I told him to go ahead and fill it up because I know the price is going to go even higher. So, my thinking is might as well fill it up today and then I usually put gas in every Thursday, so it won't need as much if we fill it today.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
$2.14 here.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Countrybumpkin:
TY, I think it's so important that everybody pitch in and do their part to deal with this problem. I am so fortunate to live nearby work and have readily accessible mass transit (unfortunately that means I have to live here in the city, lol), so I can do a great deal more to conserve energy. If I had to, and if it gets much more expensive, I can just buy a bus pass and forego most driving (but not all). If all you can do is trade down to a car that gets better mileage, then that's great. If you can cut down on miles driven, that's great. If you can move closer to work, or move work closer to home, that's great, too. NOBODY is in a situation where they can do nothing to conserve, and we all have a duty to conserve so as not to unduly burden the less fortunate among us. Just because somebody has lots of money and can afford all the gas they want is no reason to go wasting.........that hurts all of us.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
Although dh and I own 2 SUV's , we rarely drive them. We have a Toyota Camry with over 200k miles on the odometer and a Nissan PU with close to 200k miles. They're our primary vehicles. Gee, just look at all we're saving, by not buying new vehicles. I bet the UAW hates us. :toothy:

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
$1.97 here this past Friday, but it's probably higher today. :mad:

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Ok, $1.87 to $1.97 on Friday - as of yesterday (Saturday) prices vary from $1.93 to $2.09 per gallon (for regular unleaded).

·
Registered
198 Posts
$2.10 here yesterday and going up, unfortunately I drive 40 miles each way to work. We moved before gas prices went up and boy it is killing my budget. I try to not be waste it but I need almost 2 tanks a week,I drive a Chevy Tracker so it is a small car. cau

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
t was $1.72 at the exxon that is having a price war with a wawa across teh street from it. the 2 of them are usually 10-20 cents cheaper than the other gas stations in town. when prices go up more, dh will take my car to work and i'll walk to work. it's half a mile for me and i walk on nice days anyway. dh works in another town so he has to drive. i hdrive a dodge neon and he drives a grand caravan so my car gets better gas mileage. if he ever teaches me to drive the van i can use it on my errand day, and i can usually do all of my errands on 1 day.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Re: Re higher gas prices

kestrel91316 said:
I happen to have a teeny weeny social conscience .....
Good for you Gayle! More people need to find their social conscience!

I WISH I could do the same thing (take the bus and/or walk to/from work). I will just continue to drive my Toyota (abt 25 mpg -- it should be BETTER but that's another story) and be sure to consolidate all trips and eliminate unnecessary ones.

Gas leapt last week from $1.75 to $1.81 although some stations are $1.89. Some stations even have their premium priced at the same as the 87 octane. Now that is weird.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts