Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I finally paid off my 2nd CC. Just one more to go. I am now determined not to use my CC for anything else unless it really truly is an emergency.

I always used a CC at the pump and when I went to fill up this morning I tried to pump gas and I noticed a sign that said Cash Customers must come inside to Pay before Pumping. I guess I never noticed that before? So I go inside and tell the cashier that I just want to fill up and she tells me I have to leave a deposit with her. So I leave $30 and go back out and pump. It cuts me off at $30 even though I am not finished! uuugghhh! I go back inside and hand her another $10 and get almost another gallon in. So I go back inside AGAIN to get my change. I am not feeling so jolly by now, LOL.....

She says that almost all gas stations now require you to leave a deposit before pumping gas! I was just wondering if I should shop around for a place that doesn't require a deposit, or is that just the way it is now?

·
Registered
345 Posts
WalMart doesn't require you to pre-pay, if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Here just about all are prepay after 8pm.
The walmarts here are now prepay. My fiance usually buys a $50.00 Walmart card and uses that. Whatever is left he uses next time or saves them for when he's low on cash. ( usually our truck takes all but $5.00 when he has to fill up..)

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I think I can help with this one, I worked at a little gas station-store for the last 3 years: When the price of gasoline started rising so fast, that people were having a hard time with $$$, there would be so many....drive-offs. If this happened and we didn't get the license plate number and state then we (the employee) paid for their stolen gas that out of our pockets when we finished our shifts. Yes, this is true. Our owner of the station did not have cameras outside at the pumps, only inside watching and listening to her employees,( another story in itself). Anyway, a clerkc gets slammed with paying for a thieve's gas a few times, then guess what, prepay is the way I would do it too. I would not approve a pump to start until I knew where the money was coming from to pay for the gas. If is was a regular customer and I knew them, I would let them fill up and pay cash after, but if you were a stranger to me, prepay. If they said fill up- as said - prepay please. $30.00 then I would set the pump for $30.00. When you are only making $5.75 and hour, which is what I made, it didn't take long for a thief to take your earnings for the day. When people steal gas, they think that they are only hurting the owner, wrongo, they are hurting the cash poor clerk, the owner gets their money from the clerk!!!! In our area, it is a problem, so the state hs been trying to crack down on the people who steal gas. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
In our area, every gas station requires you to pre-pay. Night or day. I use my debit card when pumping gas so I don't have to unload all the kids and go into the store.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
DH and I always use our debit cards.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
NCGirl - just a thought....I know you want to avoid using credit cards but I used to set one aside just for gas only. I'd calculate a very tight but close estimate of gas money used for the month and stash that cash aside. Id pay gas on credit and keep all the receipts. Id go by the billing cycle of the credit card and a week before the month ended I'd fill up and mail a chq in for the total amount of the gas charged to the card. By the time I got the statement it showed my payment and $0 on the balance. I'll admit, its tricky to get started but once you get it going - its a breeze and none of this walking in and out 10 times to get gas for your vehcile. Even easier if you pay your credit cards online. Just a thought.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
mustang, if it means that it lowers your cost of gas, im all for it! its about 10 cents less per litre if you pump your own and where i live its about 10 cents cheaper per litre if you fill up at night vs during daytime. LOL it all adds up!

*sigh* But I sooo miss those days of not having to pump your own gas. Sometimes those attendants were eyecandy!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
But in NJ we're not allowed to pump our own, but the gas is historically cheaper here anyway. I paid $1.99 this morning per gallon. The idiots here would never give us any break for anything. Just look at our taxes and car insurance. :soapbox:

·
Registered
488 Posts
The whole prepay thing and the fact that I am always tempted by all the goodies in the gas station are why I use my debt card to buy gas. I find that I spend way less when I use it than when I use cash at the gas station.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Here you just take your licence up to the lady. Fill up, pay and get your licence back.

Who would steal gas if they have your licence---?

Try a different store.

Also, our walmart doesn't require re pay either.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I usually ask if I can leave my driver's license with them til I'm finished pumping - I have no idea how much it will take to fill it up, so this works well for me -

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The city in which I live has a law that requires you to prepay or pay at the pump. We have QuikTrips here. I get a prepaid gas card and use that. This way I can pay at the pump but still keep my budget.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Not sure where you are in Nc, I am in the Raleigh area. I plan my trips around the Sheetz gas station, it has an option to pay cash at the pump, you choose that option, pump your gas and then deposit the cash in the thing on the pump.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Everything here has been prepay for nearly two years now. I use a credit card since it's paid in full in each month. If that won't work for you, I think the gift card suggestion is a great idea and would be a way around running in and out constantly.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
It's pretty much all pre-pay here, definitely after dark. We use our debit card for gas. I wish we had pumps equipped to take cash, that would be great! :)

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
It depends on where you are. Some gas stations will offer you a pump start card that you can swipe, so it will allow you to pay inside after pumping. It's linked to your drivers license that way if you drive off without paying, they can track you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JustPeachy92, I work in Raleigh then get on I-40 and head east towards Benson. No Sheetz on my side of Raleigh. I do sometimes go to Fuquay and go to that Sheeetz. Perhaps I'll fill up if I go to Aldi's on the weekends.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I have never seen a gas station where you have to prepay, but I can understand why they would do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts