Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so you might have gotten beat up in high school for it, but now we're adults and being a "geek" is actually somewhat respectable. Spill it! Do I have any fellow geeks out there?

My life is all about the video games, computers, Lego, super heroes, comic books, collectible card games...you name it, I probably participate in it. I've always loved math, science, finances, and taking things apart. I have a clock in my office that tells me the time in binary, I speak far more programming languages than I do actual world languages, and hubby and I are considering teaching our kid Basic as his first language. :laugh:

(Just kidding about Basic being his first language, but you have to admit it would be hilarious.)

Reactions: Gunny_Frost

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hooray for geeks! :D I grew up fighting over the "best" Lego pieces with my brothers, and debating which version of Civilization is the best (I still love the orginial). I'm not mechanical, but I am scientific. If you can make a bulleted list about it, I will gladly memorize it and spew it back during a game of Trivial Pursuit two years from now. And then there's Scrabble. Scrabble is my passion...I play it online against myself (http://www.scrabulous.com/solitaire_scrabble.php), online against others (http://games.atari.com/playgames/home.jsp) and I even play the Scrabble knock-off on Yahoo Games (Literati). I own the Deluxe board, a normal board, the computer version and the official Scrabble dictionary. (Yikes, I AM a geek!)

Oh, and I often use words in normal conversations that earn me a blank look and "What does THAT mean?" from others, but that might just be because I'm pronouncing it wrong....

·
Registered
546 Posts
Is a geek the same thing as a nerd?
Usually yes. :) Same with a dork. The definitions vary a bit but the main point is all the same.

I'm a geek! I love learning, I'm almost always reading.... *gasp* non-fiction books. I play D&D pretty much every Saturday (that depends on the plans of our other players.) I used to play Magic with DH but we gave that up... well HE gave it up. He thinks I'm too good. :p

I know a lot of basic and a bit non so basic computer stuff. Thanks to the 2 full years of computer classes I took in high school.

There's probably a lot of other dorky stuff that I do but it's early. :D

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Woo hoo! Fellow geeks!

AheeK, I LOVE Scrabble too, but cannot get anyone to play with me! I'll have to try those links you gave. Thanks!

Tammi, I play Magic! I love that game. I used to actually be nationally ranked, but I haven't been to enough events recently to keep my rank. I plan on starting that back up again once the house is finished and I've had the baby and things have settled a bit.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
WOOT! Definately a geek. There is a tshirt I love that says "Talk Nerdy To Me". I was thrilled to see the chic on Mythbusters wearing it. My SO and I spend the weekend on-line gaming together. Our families think it is weird and will only lead to issues down the road, but I think it is great. (It's Lineage II by the way) My kids even play it so I think of it as family time.
As a family we are pretty comfortable with how we are. The kids enter gaming tournaments and are in the anime club at school. We watch tons of foreign films (scifi and anime).

·
Registered
708 Posts
Tigo, I'm ROFL!!!! That's an awesome T-shirt! Where did you get it? Do they sell it in stores or online?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Yep. a pre-computers geek. @ favorite tees: one that says CSI: Can't Stand Idiots and one that says There are 2 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't. I actually take aptitude tests for fun, and kill at things like the LSATs and GMATs for graduate school. If there were a job as a professional test taker, I'd want it. I also like math, calculus, and statistics, and am currently proofreading someone's PhD Dissertation on Folksonomies.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I actually take aptitude tests for fun, and kill at things like the LSATs and GMATs for graduate school. If there were a job as a professional test taker, I'd want it.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that likes to take aptitude tests. Actually any kind of questionaire at all be it test or survey, I'm in.

I never was a math, science person which totally doesn't explain how I grew up to be an accountant. I just love how organized accounting is, each number has it box and each formula means the same thing time after time. Hmmm, maybe that means I did like math. On the other hand I was and am a total and complete history nut. When I was at school, I took history classes for fun. I now get my history fix from the History Channel.

I never did play the collectible cards games, but I did collect a bunch of the Star Wars game cards just because of my love of Star Wars. I have one of those plastic storage closets full of Star Wars toys and such in our basement.

Now video and computer games on the other hand...those I completely fell in love with at first site. I'm more of a Sims girl on the computer for the rest of my gaming I'm much more a console girl. I don't have any of the really new systems as I can't justify spending the money on them but I do have an X-box, a PS2 and a game cube, plus an old Atari 2600 and Nintendo game system.

Once you drag me and my friends away from the game systems, my cousin and I are avid Yahtzee players. We always joke that it's an exciting weekend when we have a mad game of Yahtzee. If there are more people around, we play Trivial Pursuit or Scene it or any other kind of trivia game. Oh and we recently got back into Jigsaw Puzzles.

We used to do the who web page thing but that wound up taking up too much time when I was in school and I just don't have the gumption to get back into right now. We put together a web page just for us and our friends to discuss what was going on that week or whatever...this was long before Myspace and such were popular.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My husband calls me nerd all the time. In fact he bought me a t-shirt with Spongebob on it wearing black glasses that says I have a Nerdy Mind.

I love to Play Yahtzee and Monopoly but nobody will play with me :shake: so instead I fill my time playing computer games like the Sims or Rollercoaster Tycoon. Plus I have just about all the gaming consoles including the older ones like NES and Atari. I don't have any of the new ones though because of money reasons but I told hubby I want a Nintendo Wii more than anything.

plus hubby always complains about me either having my nose stuck in a book or a crossword puzzle. I haven't tried Suduko yet cause I know I'll get addicted to that to. LOL.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't really think I'm a nerd, but my dh is and I love him for it.

He loves online games, especially WOW. He plays D&D every other weekend with a group of guys he works with. He used to play Magic.

He was on the chess team in highschool and still plays that.

I always want him for a partner in any Trivia game because he kicks butt.

He also works for a computer/internet service provider as a National Accounts tech.

I always tease him that his theme song is "White and Nerdy" by Wierd Al.

·
Registered
708 Posts
That's a great song. I've had multiple people tell me that nerds make the best husbands...I wonder if it's true.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I don't know if I'm a nerd (I played D&D for awhile before I was married and I had a big crush on Mr. Spock when I was a teenager. Does that count?), but I'm sure my kids are. My DD LOVES Anime and Manga, my DS plays Runescape online and is an avid Star Wars fan. (In fact he's in the front yard right now having an epic lightsabre battle with his friends.) I do admit that I've always had a soft spot for geeks and nerds and most of my friends would fit right into this kith. :)

--Michelle

·
Registered
674 Posts
I absolutely loved the Periodic Table of Elements.

In 4th grade the teacher sent home a workbook for everyone to keep at home but to work on throughout the school year. I finished it in 1 night.

I absolutely loved the Brady Bunch show and wanted to be just like Marsha. She was my idol.

I think I would classify as a geek.

I forgot to mention that I finished an independent year long math program in 7th grade that was supposed to end in June but I finished it in Feb. or March.

One last thing I did not have to take my Chemistry midterm because I had a 100 average in the class. I also loved, loved, loved Microeconomics in college. I had a 120 average in the class. I could not get enough of that class. GGGGGGGGGGGGgEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Oohhhhhh wellllllllll!!!!!

I am not really that smart. I am a math geek who was very passionate about math and chemistry.

Talk to you all later when I can figure out how to get the pen stain out of my shirt pocket and I fix my glasses with masking tape.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
pockets and glasses

Talk to you all later when I can figure out how to get the pen stain out of my shirt pocket and I fix my glasses with masking tape.
That SOOOO fits me too!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
i've always been a bit of a nerd. if it was a class i really like, i got A's. any thing that was science or history i was good at. math i did well up to a point. i'm still a nerd. i got the highest grade in my CNA class(certified nurse's aid) and in the med tech class i took. even got 100 on the cpr/first aid class and it not a class i get credit for. i love mythbusters! dh records it on his computer so we don't miss it.
i married a geek :) he has even worked at NASA for a while. not a scientist or anything, he's in IT sercurity. i would have to agree that geeks make better husbands. ;)

i drive dh nuts though with some of the geek shows i like to watch.
oh and noone will play trivial pursuit with me so i have to play trivia online in irc with a couple of friends. the only reason a couple of them have higher scores is because i don't type very fast or i misspell something and they steal the answer.:laugh:
i want the shirt that says i <3 my geek and i want to get dh the one that says no i will not fix your computer.

·
4,028 Posts
Geek here!
And proud of it!​

I am a science and history geek. Anything Earth Science related was a passion of mine. I would rather watch a documentary on Pluto than any reality show that is out there...unless it is a DIY. I married the computer geek and he got a binary clock as his wedding present. He gave me a checkbook cover that he hand tooled with my new name and a Celtic knotwork design. Yes, geeks make great husbands. We plan gamedays for boardgames with our friends and enjoy MMORPGs as well. My friends have taken to asking me the unusual questions because they somehow know that I will have the answer. LOL... I never told them that I made some of them up. *snicker*

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I guess I could be classified as a geek. I love reference books. I have a whole bookcase full and love all of them.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yes! I'm a geek and proud!

I know all my X-men, I do logic problems for fun, I love trivia and board games, and I'm sure there are plenty more geeky things about me.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Not me but my dh was a closet geek. He had a book case that had a flag handing over it so noone could see that he had every single star track book ever!!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts