Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
German Strawberry Cake (Erdbeer Torte)

Recipe Description
Absolutely magnificent, we even drive to Germany for a slice when my cousin has made this one.

See photo in my family album.​
Preparation Steps:
For the Cake:
Beat eggs and sugar for 10 minutes on high with kitchen aid.
Fold in the flour, corn flour and baking powder.

Bake at 400F for 20 minutes.

Take from oven and cool on wire rack.

Beat the whipping cream and vanilla sugar.

Cut the strawberries into slices, put them in a colander (?) and sugar them a bit.​
Level of Difficulty:
Time Needed:
Ingredients:
For the cake:
4 eggs
6 1/2 oz sugar
3 1/2 oz flour
3 1/2 oz corn flour
1 package (1/2 oz) baking powder

For the filling:
6 cartons of whipping cream (total of 1 3/4 fl. pints + 6 1/2 fl. oz)
1 little package of vanilla sugar
2 pounds strawberries​
Serves:
12​
Directions:
Cut the cake so you'll have three.

On 2 of them alternate the cream with the strawberries. Tier them together and whisk some cream on top of the cake and decorate it with some half cut left over strawberries.​

·
27,948 Posts
I'm sooooo glad you could get the recipe & share it with us!
:thanks:

Just looked up corn flour (I didn't know anything about it) and all it is is cornmeal ground in blender to the consistency of flour.

What's a "little package of vanilla sugar"? Just adding vanilla to sugar and using enough of the mixture to sweeten the whip cream?

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We can buy little sachets of sugar that have been sweetened with vanilla, it is a dry ingredient, app. 1/2 oz.

Now I am in a bit of a doubt about the corn flour, it could also be cornstarch. My cousin gave me the recipe and in it is something called Mondamin, I had never heard of it and looked it up at the Internet. From what I can gather it looks more like cornstarch.......but isn't the amount too much?

*hm, scratching head*
As you can see I am not much of a cake baker.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
We can buy little sachets of sugar that have been sweetened with vanilla, it is a dry ingredient, app. 1/2 oz.

Now I am in a bit of a doubt about the corn flour, it could also be cornstarch. My cousin gave me the recipe and in it is something called Mondamin, I had never heard of it and looked it up at the Internet. From what I can gather it looks more like cornstarch.......but isn't the amount too much?

*hm, scratching head*
As you can see I am not much of a cake baker.
My first thought was cornstarch until Darlene looked it up. Now I'm wondering if it really is cornstarch because I read that Mondamin is a sauce "binder", which does make it sound like we should be using cornstarch. However, I'm not sure what it would be binding since the only liquid in the actual cake is the eggs?

Here's a link to a store selling Mondamin:

http://gdcom.stores.yahoo.net/4046800110903.html

Reactions: freyadog

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
thank you for this recipe. the cake is fantastic looking.

I do have a question. Ok I figured out the corn flour thing but how do we get vanilla sugar? ain't got a clue!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you for this recipe. the cake is fantastic looking.

I do have a question. Ok I figured out the corn flour thing but how do we get vanilla sugar? ain't got a clue!!!

I thought you could buy those little sachets all over. Well I have a recipe for you to make it yourself, it is also very good to use in whipped cream.....better than plain sugar.

(Here is another translated part)
Take 1 pound of soft white sugar and 2 vanilla sticks. Cut the sticks with a sharp knife open and get the little seeds out. Put the sugar in a large can or pot and stir the seeds through the sugar. Cut the sticks in 2 or 3 pieces and also put them in the sugar. Put lid on can, wait for 1 week and.....voila.......vanilla sugar that even gets better with time. Don't forget to stir every now and then.

[media]http://www.culinette.nl/wp-images/vanille.jpg[/media]

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the vanilla sugar recipe. This will make a great dessert after I get the vanilla sugar made.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I can't wait to try this recipe. It sounds great. My grandmother was german and I remember going back with her when I was 5. The food was so good. Thanks for posting this.

Heidi

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I am bound and determined to get all this straight in my head. I'm gonna get this made even if my thighs groan for a week.

The recipe doesnt say what size pan. Do you bake it all in one pan and then slice it? or in two pans? Or can you take 3 cake pans and pour a little in each one to keep from having to slice the cakes to get 3 pieces?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am bound and determined to get all this straight in my head. I'm gonna get this made even if my thighs groan for a week.

The recipe doesnt say what size pan. Do you bake it all in one pan and then slice it? or in two pans? Or can you take 3 cake pans and pour a little in each one to keep from having to slice the cakes to get 3 pieces?
Oops....you got me there.......I think you could bake them in 3 seperate pans......

I don't have more than 1 baking pan, so I would do it in just the 1..

Anyway....let me know how it went, I promise you the taste is sooo delicious you don't care about the calories, lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts