Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I failed my first test (came in at 142 which is over my doctor's 135 cutoff) so I had the second test. My first reading came in fine, the second one was a little off (166, max is 155) and the last one was a tiny bit off (143 instead of 140) so I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes.

The endrocinologist took one look at my test results and said that he would have said I was just fine, but since my OB/GYN thought it was gestational diabetes, they'd put my on a diet to control it.

Well, this diet is for the birds! On the surface it seemed healthy enough, but after two days my stomach was actually growling before meals. I finally gave up 4 days in and started "cheating" by eating extra food (not really junk, but I'd have two peanut butter sandwiches instead of one, or a bowl of strawberries when I'm only supposed to have 5). Of course, my follow-up appt isn't until next week, and I'm certainly going to say something, but I have a feeling that a growling tummy is bad for the baby! Anyone else go through something like this?

Here's the meal plan:

Breakfast - 30 carbs starch (about 3/4 cup of cereal, or an english muffin), 12 carbs milk (8 oz), 1 serving of protein (1 egg)

Snack - 12 carbs dairy (6 oz yogurt, must be sugar free)

Lunch - 30 carbs starch (2 slices of bread) 3 servings protein (3 tbls peanut butter or 3oz cheese), 1 serving of fruit (very small apple or kiwi)

Snack - 1 serving of fruit (small apple, kiwi, 2 tblsp raisins (about half a little snack box), or 1 cup WHOLE strawberries

Dinner: 45 carbs starch (1 cup rice or pasta), 3 servings protein (3 oz of meat), 8 oz milk, 1 cup vegetables

Snack: 15 carbs starch (6-8 crackers, depending on the kind), 1 oz protein (1 oz cheese or 1 tbl peanut butter), 8 oz milk

Even with adding the extra food, my blood sugar levels are still normal. I got the little glucose meter and finger pricking kit. I'm not supposed to have juice, ice cream, or any candy. This is driving me nuts! Part of me just wants to blow it off, but the other part of me doesn't want to end up with a c-section for a 10lb kids who's hypoglycemic.

Thanks for letting me vent! I'm going to have a snack right now!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, Sara. Sounds like no fun. I tested positive twice, and then they did it one more time and I was negative. I generally have low blood sugar, so that's why they were concerned. On the last test, it was low again. I wound up with 3 big babies via c-section anyway, but they are all healthy. Follow the plan with your supplementation and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Feel free to vent anytime. I didn't have the gestational diabetes, but I had a friend who did. I think one thing she did was eat a lot more protein. It's been a long time since then But that's what I remember. On the other hand, and this is something to think about, if you have a child that is over 9lbs it increases your risk factor for developing type 2 diabetes. Now my mom had two 9+ lbs. kids and she is now diabetic. Of course it doesn't mean this will happen, but take it serously. In pregnancy it can also be a predictor of developing it later in life, not to mention pregnancy complications. I am sorry, I don't want to bust your balloon, but it is serious. Ok, with that being said, I wish you the best.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
you should try eating whole wheat products and do some research on the internet . i am diabetic and could nt follow my eating plan,,did research and my; ac1 ranges from 5.4 to 6.0. my doctor says it should be under 7.0. also try eating nuts or anything w/o carbs and good luck.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I know the diet is hard, but what the other ladies have all said is true. Try as hard as you can. Look for alternative protein to replace some of the carbs, and talk to your doctor for some advice. Vent all you want, I know it's got to be hard to go through!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I had GD with both kids- with my second, they diagnosed it the same day they did my pregnancy test! I couldn't follow the strict diet (due to my hyperemesis-- I just couldn't keep that much food down!). So, I experimented a little and did what I could to control it. You'll learn quickly which foods spike your blood sugar level and which ones don't. I, for one, could eat a whole bagel and my blood sugar level would be fine, but that bagel was on the "forbidden" list. When I was really craving "real" sweets (not the sugar-free subs) I'd have a Hershey's kiss or two- those weren't big enough to cause me any problems. So you just have to find what works for you. It's hard, but having a healthy baby is definitely worth it in the end.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
to keep your diabetes regualted its important to follw that diet, coming from experience. hang in there, your pregnancy is almost over!!!!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I agree with Amy, you will find ways to supplement (cheat sounds so wrong) lol.

I had GD with all of my children. It is important that you control it before it controls you with bedrest or preeclamsia..... and the like. I urge you to control it the best you can. You will feel better.

Vent all you want. Keep us posted on your progress! You can do it!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Well, you had one doctor's opinion. Even though there is a normal range for people, everyone's bodies are different. So, what the doctor may think is abnormal could be totally normal for you. Did you have your blood glucose levels checked early in your pregnancy? If your eating healthy, your probably fine. The last thing you want to do is be hungry.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with GD. My sister never fails the 1-hour, and never passes at 1 and 2 hours on the 3 hour, but always passes the third hour.

Her MD's office actually told her NOT to fast with either test. I perform these tests all the time, and that is just absurd. For the one hour, it is fine to eat (I myself stayed very low carb and high protein before my one hour) but for the 3 hour, unless there is a written note from the MD, we require it to be fasting. I assume you fasted for it?

When my sister had her three hour the other day, some poor woman actually went out and got a bag of Combos after she had already had the Glucola. Poor thing is REALLY not going to like doing the three hour if she was hungry during the one hour!

Anyway, I myself probably wouldn't wait until my next MD appointment to discuss it with someone. And I would definitely keep a log of what I was eating when and how it affectd my levels. Best of luck to you, Sara!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
That should say my sister never PASSES the one hour. For the baby she miscarried, they actually planned to just skip the one hour altogether.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice and support. I do keep a food log of what I eat and when, and so far the only thing that has really thrown my blood sugar out of whack was Chinese Food last night (which I didn't really watch at all, other than to record what I ate).

I've decided to mostly follow the plan and eat extra when I feel hungry, as long as the extras are healthy - nuts, yogurt, cheese, fruit. Ice cream seems to be ok if I eat a small amount and swap it out for something already on the diet. I have changed over to whole grain bread and whole grain crackers - it helps that DH is also on a diet. We're also really trying to cut out processed foods as a general healthy/frugal thing, so that should help, too.

I guess the other thing that really makes me wonder is that I don't have any risk factors. I weighed 115 (at 5'1") before I got pregnant, I don't smoke, the closest relative I have with any diabetes was a great uncle who had a late on-set type 2 (in his 70's). I also have not gained an excessive amount of weight so far (I'm up 24 lbs at 32 weeks).

I did not fast for my one hour (I had something to eat around 10am, and the test was at 12:30pm), but I did fast overnight for the three hour one.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I was thinking about this. Do you eat eggs? I've been trying to have two daily. It doesn't always work out that way, but my twin pregnancy book recommends eating them. Since eggs are high in protein, you tend to not get as hungry. Also in the morning, the real Oatmeal might work. Your basically following a low-carb diet, which is very heathly since you eat the good carbs.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking about this. Do you eat eggs? I've been trying to have two daily. It doesn't always work out that way, but my twin pregnancy book recommends eating them. Since eggs are high in protein, you tend to not get as hungry. Also in the morning, the real Oatmeal might work. Your basically following a low-carb diet, which is very heathly since you eat the good carbs.

I like eggs, but I'm picky about how they're prepared, so I usually don't eat them in the mornings since I'm pressed for time. I've been eating mostly cereal with milk for breakfast, although I do have (and like) oatmeal - just right now I'm too darn hot to think about anything "hot" for breakfast. I may switch over if it gets cooler here next month.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I understand about being pressed for time in the morning. Do you like hard boiled eggs? I make them up ahead of time, then I just peel them in the morning. I slice them in half and season with pepper.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually, I really only like eggs scambled, fried, or in omlets. I probably could fry some eggs ahead of time and keep them in the fridge.

·
5,738 Posts
Just FYI, if time is a problem, you can do scrambled eggs in the microwave this way: http://www.recipezaar.com/63860

I like them that way- very quick plus you only dirty up one coffee cup. I use cooking spray instead of the butter.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Amy - I just wanted to say thank-you! I have been using this receipe (modified a bit) for the last three days - it is quick and easy, and helps keep me feeling full longer.

I have been using 1 egg, a teeny bit of milk, minced onion, a few small pieces of diced deli meat, and some pepper. I don't have cheese in the house right now. And I have been using some really old teacups.

·
5,738 Posts
Amy - I just wanted to say thank-you! I have been using this receipe (modified a bit) for the last three days - it is quick and easy, and helps keep me feeling full longer.

I have been using 1 egg, a teeny bit of milk, minced onion, a few small pieces of diced deli meat, and some pepper. I don't have cheese in the house right now. And I have been using some really old teacups.
You're welcome! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts