Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for input here!

Today I got this crazy idea to get a part time job until Christmas. Stores will be open late every night in a few weeks. I work full time already and I have a good job, plenty of money, and no debt. I don't need another job, but I'm considering it.

I have 2 kids, but they're with their dad almost 50% which means I have alternate weekends and a couple of weeknights that I could work if I chose to. Of course, I'd be looking at a retail job (minimum wage) and I can't decide if it would be worth it for a few hundred dollars extra or not.

So far I have this: Pros (obvious) extra money, meet new people, should be relaxed and fun, staff discount (if it's a store I would buy from); could work toward building up my long term EF or buy myself a treat (an Ipad from Santa!!).

Cons: less down time, I might hate it, burn out, regret it; it might not be worth the effort for the amount I'd make; I'd pay more taxes at the end of the year.

Seriously, if I needed the money, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The fact that I don't necessarily need it deters me. Is that weird?

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Not weird, I think about it sometimes and I don't really "need" the money.

I would suggest, if you do it, have that treat in mind and be sure to buy that treat.

A pro you missed... it's only temporary. ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
My experiences with Christmas seasonal retail are: You may get as little as zero hours the weeks before Black Friday once you are trained, then they'll pile on the hours on big sale days like Black Friday and the day after Christmas. I never found it worth giving up my holidays for when they don't give me any hours except those few weeks. Retail likes to cut hours drastically before big events like Black Friday, then pile them on those days. During the cut-back days, the temps aren't going to be working, the regulars get all those hours.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Cons: less down time, I might hate it, burn out, regret it;
- you already have a job and you don't need the money, so if you hate it just quit

it might not be worth the effort for the amount I'd make;
- you're basically doing it for fun, if it turns out to be too much effort give it up

I'd pay more taxes at the end of the year.
- ?? How so? Are there tax credits that you will no longer qualify for?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd pay more taxes at the end of the year.
- ?? How so? Are there tax credits that you will no longer qualify for?
I was just thinking about the tax bracket I am in as opposed to the tax level they would likely deduct from a minimum wage job. My tax level would be higher, but in all I would still get a tax refund after contributing to my RRSPs, so that con was off base. It's not worth consideration.

A pro you missed... it's only temporary.
Very true! Thanks for that

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm juggling 3 jobs right now. I don't need the extra two but I love the extra cash. Getting out and meeting new people is always a plus, discount, and some extra dough. If you hate it then quit.

Reactions: Mrs K

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
No not weird at all. You can always quit the job since you have no real need for the job. But then again you may really enjoy it.

Have you thought about volunteering. If there is a cause you believe in you may find it really fulfilling.

How about joining a club. What kinds of things do you enjoy? It would also be another way to meet people.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you thought about volunteering. If there is a cause you believe in you may find it really fulfilling.

How about joining a club. What kinds of things do you enjoy? It would also be another way to meet people.
I am involved in volunteering, but it's not a huge time commitment. While I am always looking for ways to get out more and meet people, this part time job idea is a lot more about the extra money than anything else.

·
Registered
99 Posts
So, have you decided yet? :)

While I am always looking for ways to get out more and meet people, this part time job idea is a lot more about the extra money than anything else.
You have the right attitude, for sure. Working retail during the holiday season can be extremely stressful. I did it when I was in college (shortly after the earth cooled :rolleyes:), and it kept me so busy that usually I could not find one spare moment to wrap gifts till Christmas morning.

I reckon you'd get an employee discount, too, right? ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.