Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and made bread today. The house smells AWESOME! The recipe makes 10 loaves, but I only have 6 pans..lol. SO, I have 6 loaves of bread, 2.5 dozen buns and 2.5 dozen cinnamon rolls. Store bought bread: 11.34 cinnamon buns: 14.98 buns $5.73 Total: 32.05 Estimated cost to make: eggs: .66 milk: .13 yeast: .05 oil: .24 sugar: .13 flour: $1.25(high estimate) Cost: 2.46 Savings: 29.59.

I didn't include the cost of the margarine, brownsugar or cinnamon. The maragrine was free. The brown sugar used was maybe .20 and cinnamon was given by mom who thought she was getting a deal and bought too much..lol, but for the TBSp at the price she paid would be approx. .02

Value, based on 1/2 hour on hands work: 59.18/hour tax free I think that is well worth the effort, not to mention the nutrional value far higher. Plus my 3 yo was in seventh heaven baking with mommy, making it a longer task, on my own, hands on would have been under 15.

·
8,714 Posts
~Oh my! How did you ever knead that much dough? That's definately industrious of you, and what a SAVINGS! And you're making me want some cinnamon rolls.....:hungry:~

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I have bread and cinnamon buns in the oven right now, too :)

I can only make one loaf of bread at a time. I don't have the strength for even a two loaf batch, can't imagine 10.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a very EASY recipe. I'm happy to share it!

Part 1.

10 cups flour
1 tsp salt.

Mix together.

Part 2.

2 cups warm water
2 TBSP yeast
1/2 cup sugar.

Mix set aside until bubbly.

Part 3

6 cups warm water
4 eggs
1 cup oil

Mix with whisk.

PART 4.

Pour both liquids into the flour. Mix well. :stir:

Part 5.

Add 10 cups flour, mix with heavy spoon.:stir:

Part 6.

Add 2 cups of flour, need to incorporate.

Part 7.
Cover, let rise 1 hr. then punch down.:fpunch:

Part 8.

Let rise 1 hour, then punch down, make loaves.:fpunch:

Part 9.

Let rise 1 hour, then back at 350ºF for 30 minutes (less for buns or cinnamon buns).

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
do you use all white flour or do you use fresh ground whole wheat. I have found that using fresh ground whole wheat that I have to make a sponge first in order to get the rise that I want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts