Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, stuff that was going on earlier this year didn't work out.

Did the Vegas thing, was a great time! Got to see how the 1% lives, lol. One morning I'm waking up in a penthouse suite in my own huge room on the top floor of the Golden Nugget... the next morning I'm eating lentils for breakfast.

I was asked to go to work at the jerky plant to fill in for a woman out on surgery leave. My previously injured wrist couldn't take it, was able to work for the month until the lady came back, but there's no way I could do that job. Stayed in the van in the driveway for the month, it was hard. Okay, so that job and possible 5th wheel was not panning out.

Okay, so on to the next!! I had contemplated finding a small travel trailer and moving near my daughter. While in the works on this, my daughter and son-in-law decide to rent out their house, their finances pretty much demanded they do something. So... okay, now to figure out where to live, right?

Oh, daughter is preggo! :) My first grandbaby on the way. :D

So, for the month of May, I had everything I owned in a van and a car. I stayed at my parents place. They had a tiny camper in their driveway I slept in. Had bought a smally class C Toyota Dolphin I was planning on fixing up and moving nearer my daughter, but it really just didn't feel right. Was so not comfortable. Had a bad feeling about it and decided to sell it and look for something else...

Meanwhiile, I'm still not working and living on credit.. which I HATE!

And then something fell into my lap. Will continue on next post, as this one is getting too long already. :)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So one of my sisters finds a hell of a deal on a mobile home. Like, a steal really!! Was able to sell the Toyota Dolphin for enough profit to buy, in cash for $1500, a mobile home.

Yes, that's right, I own a mobile home free and clear now. :) Already at a park with fairly cheap lot rent, $180 a month with water, I pay for other utilities. The outside looked fairly cute, they just painted the outside, and the man was a former landscaper, so there were plants everywhere. But the inside, Holy Moly!!!! Filthy, stinky, so nasty you can't imagine... patched up walls, inside ceiling in bathroom trying to fall down, the 3 pets obviously used places for the potty, the fridge alone took 2 people 2 hours just to clean it. You get the picture.

So for the past month and half have been working on this place. Every wall in here with white paint. Had carpet people come in after dad worked his butt off on patching the flooring to rip out old and put in new. Carpet in all bedrooms and hall, and linoleum in kitchen, $1800 worth, but the smells are gone at least.

Having to come up with a full house full of stuff you don't have is not fun. Very fortunate to have family that had a lot of things I needed to get by on, until I can furnish it out. Spent $100 on couch and recliner in pretty decent shape, he delivered it, too. Dad had a washer that worked sitting around, I found a dryer for $50. Sis that owns RV place had a nice mattress out of a trade-in, king sized, that had a tiny pee spot on it she couldn't resell, I got for free, just put a mattress pad over, works for me. She bought a frame off amazon that doesn't need a box spring for, works pretty darn good. She also had a flat screen come out a rig she donated, along with a dining table and 4 chairs that came out of separate rigs but goes well together.

Don't have any furniture in the other bedrooms, yet, but keeping my ears open.

Funds are getting pretty low, but I'm out looking for jobs, have 3 applications out even in this oilfield depressed area without many job openings. I've looked around for working online, just not sure what is legit and will let me earn enough.

So I am back to living as cheap as I possibly can!! Up to my old tricks. :D My bills are fairly cheap. Am stocking up on sale grocery items and batch cooking. Learning gardening and enjoying the tomatoes that were growing before I moved in.

I'll be selling the van :( but it will give me a little bit of breathing room until I can find a job. Keeping my little crappy car, even though the engine will eventually give up (the first cylinder is losing compression, think I'm going to get a second opinion on it though).

Well anyways.. now that I can sign in again, will be haunting this place. Hopefully learning new things. Sharing things I've learned all those years ago. Picking on people. ;) haha

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Wow, sounds like quite an adventure! Did Hula John make it to the penthouse too?

Congrats on the new home. It sounds like you're making great progress making a home out of what seems like quite a wreck of a place.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Welcome back Pammy! Hope to see you here again and more often. I know what you mean about the trailer. When we moved in this one it wasn't quite that bad but close. Under the bathtub and kitchen sink there wasn't a floor. Straight to the ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts