Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know...you've heard it all before. Every few months I say that I'm getting back on track with the writing of my novel. However, I'm getting closer to finishing, and the closer I get, the more I want to do it. The light at the end of the tunnel is calling me, I guess.

So, here's where I am. I have finished writing it. A friend of mine who is was a creative writing major, is an English teacher, and is just brilliant has read the whole thing and edited for me. His editing consisted mostly of story suggestions. Slow here. More detail there. Cut this. Add that. Good sequence. Etc. So, what I've been doing is making revisions. I'm not even halfway through with the revisions, but it really is becoming a stronger story.

Dh lets me use his work laptop at night, (we're hoping to get our own cheap laptop eventually for word processing) and so I can put my feet up and sit in bed while I work on my revisions. I think that being able to do it this way makes the work much more accessible to me. It really is the only time that I have to myself, and so I plan on using it well.

So, feel free to bug me about whether or not I'm keeping up with the writing. I could use the pressure. I work well under pressure.

:D

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Amy this is great. Sometimes itakes a kick in the pants to get us finished with a project. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
That's great Amy! I can't wait to read the finished product!!:D

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
As a writer, one in the same predicament as you, I can say I totally understand what you are saying!! Hope you can get a laptop soon, if you haven't already!

I have finished my novel, but have not touched it since. I still need to edit, revise, and edit some more!!

Good Luck to ya!

·
27,948 Posts
How's it going Amy, still typing away?
Cheering you on!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I had taken a little break, once again, but I'm back. We did, in fact, find a cheap laptop, and I just typed up a whole new chapter revision. It was something I was struggling with plot-wise, but now it's done and I feel pretty good about it!

As I type, dh is e-mailing me my novel (which was saved on his laptop) so that I can cut and paste this new chapter in and then continue with the revisions. Very exciting!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
great amy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Amy!
That's great. I am working on a novel as well, and I *think* i am about 3/4 or 4/5 done. The end is in sight! I am hoping to have a complete draft by the end of the year.
I took the month of November off from my novel to do NaNoWriMo-www.nanowrimo.org--which was a lot of fun!
Good luck with working through your edits. I think the hardest part is done, which is getting that first complete draft!
We can prod each other along...
Best,
Alynne

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Woo Whooooo! Keep up the great job and you'll have it finished in no time!

Graci

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Twenty more pages edited tonight. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
What's going to be your next step? Approaching a publisher or are you planning to self-publish? If you like pressure having deadlines from your publisher will do it, believe me. Even though it was frustrating at times I'm glad I went with an established publishing house. But many people prefer to self publish, so you do have choices.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Amy, from someone who has been writing for almost 20 years, I've always found the editing and rewriting the most difficult part. It reminds me of something Oscar Wilde once said about how laborious writing can be. He said he spent all morning putting in a comma, and all afternoon taking it out again. That just about sums up editing for me. lol

Good luck getting it to a publisher. :angel:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts