Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned on the other thread about 'selling eggs' that I would like to get some more chickens but that I would have to convince dh first.

Well, we were talking very casually at the weekend about our chickens and I just said it to him - that I would like some more chickens.

He said that he had also been thinking the same thing. We would have to change where we have our coop but we'll probably do it when the weather gets better.

Yeah !!!!- great minds think alike (and as my mother likes to add - and fools seldom differ).

We're getting more chickens - YEAH!!!!!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
thats great news

Reactions: Dutchie

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
ok fine.... We are getting meat chickens in the spring. A whole herd.

:russ::russ::russ::russ::russ::russ::russ::russ::russ::russ::russ::russ::russ::russ::russ::russ::russ::russ::russ::russ:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I remember when I was a child we'd get boxes of chicks in the mail. To me it was better than Christmas. Some years later, after many subliminal hints and open wishing, my dad bought an incubator and we experimented by saving different breeds of rooster from what year to the next to see what our new chicks would look like. It was a lot of fun.

And more chook-poo would be great for the garden! I remember one year reworking the dirt in a small flower bed next to a kitchen window where we'd planted a clematis for Mother's Day. I filled it with well aged chicken manure and planted moss roses next to the clematis ... and what a show! I've never seen such big moss roses blooming so prolifically. It was a riot of color and my mom loved it.

·
2,688 Posts
sorry to high-jack...

where does everyone get their chicks?
Put your rooster to work if you have any broody girls :)

That's what we do :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
I am jealous!!!! I have 3 buff orpingtons and always look at what other types I would get if I could. It would be too much for me to get a bigger coop. Right now it is just perfect for them.

·
Registered
461 Posts
sorry to high-jack...

where does everyone get their chicks?
I don't have any chicks yet but Tractor Supply Company (TSC) stores (some, not all so make sure to call first) are supposed to get them in this week. DH was told that the chicks TSC gets to sell are leftover from hatcheries.

Has anybody ever bought them from TSC before?

What % of chicks survive to egg laying age?

·
2,688 Posts
none are broody. :(

I have several that are in the broody stage already. Plan is to wait a bit longer for the weather to get warmer before we start hatching.
Probably like we did last year, except give them more eggs each. One hen in each dog crate. A day apart. Going to put more eggs under them. We had 3 hens hatch last year. Now when we hatch, I want a bigger group to work with. Not each hen a week apart.

The other thing I might try is to take a larger quanity of eggs to a farmer who has a BIG incubater. He charges $ 1 per each live chick hatched for the service fee. I have a few people who wanted some larger quanities from us in the spring.

We also have our own incubater, but I am not impressed with it. I may borrow the son's old one, that did well for us last year.

TSC locally was supposed to get chicks today. The Country Max is getting theirs in April and want people to pre order. We got 12 meat chicks last spring for $ 1 each at TSC because they had got too big and were beyond the cute stage. If we get more this year, I plan to have them separate from our regular coop. I am real skittish about bringing home any germies. We don't have any chicken health problems, and I don't want any.

·
2,688 Posts
I don't have any chicks yet but Tractor Supply Company (TSC) stores (some, not all so make sure to call first) are supposed to get them in this week. DH was told that the chicks TSC gets to sell are leftover from hatcheries.
Has anybody ever bought them from TSC before?
What % of chicks survive to egg laying age?
Percentages can vary.

If you buy a straight run, then you may get mostly males instead of females. Asking for females only, is a bit higher for price each bird.

Then you have to have a way to keep them warm. $$$ for electric to keep a heat lamp running for a month or longer.

Feed costs are high. Baby chicks need a starter grain $$$.

You need a secure building.
Predators are always looking for a free meal.

Our one big hatch we had last year was 25 chicks. Lost one real early. Head count was 17 girls, 7 boys. I sold 2 girls , raccoon got one, and I have 14 girls left of this group.

Reactions: Dutchie and madjen

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hens will eventually go broody, usually as weather warms up and days get longer. Just keep a rooster around and when one goes broody, she'll know what to do.

If you're using an incubator, you have to calibrate it precisely before using it with eggs. Save up your fertile eggs, candle them to make sure there are no cracks, blood or tissue in them, rotate them daily (turn them around). Once in the incubator you also need to remove the lid and rotate them once per day (this mimics the broody hen getting up to get water and food - the eggs cool down a bit once a day, and if you watch her, when she returns she'll take her beak and rotate her eggs). Candle the incubating eggs once a week, discard any that aren't developing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought my guineas directly from idealpoultry.com. We are both in Texas and I got them the next day. they also came with 7 rooster chicks. I'm trying to give the roosters away.

I have about 25 laying hens and I've been getting about a dozen eggs a day.

Suzanne

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.