Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mini fridge that was used for storing essential oils for over a year. I want to use it for something else now, but after over a month of not having EO's in it, and standing open, it still smells strongly of its former contents. I tried closing it up with baking soda, and with coffee grounds, with no reduction in the smell.

It smells great and is currently unplugged and acting as an air freshener in my bedroom <g>, but I would like to store Half and Half in it, and I suspect EO-tasting Half and Half wouldn't be pleasant.

Any ideas of how to deodorize this little bugger?

·
4,028 Posts
What about a container of boiling water and baking soda then shutting the door so it steams. The heat might help release the scent of the oil from the interior plastic.

Reactions: madhen

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Vinegar will absorb. Then baking soda will absorb the vinegar. Put vinegar (white) in a big bowl or several small ones.

or
I put bleach w/ water in a spray bottle 1/6. then I wipe it out after about 1/2 an hr. Spray it throughly w/ water and wipe. If you can air it out for a while all the better.

There are times w/ teens I wish my fridge smelled like essential oils-enuf said!! good luck.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
After I clean my fridge, I take a cotton ball soaked with pure vanilla extract (not imitation) and swab down the whole inside.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wash it out thoroughly with baking soda, and then put a dish of ground coffee in there for a few days. A lot of landlords use that trick to absorb odors from fridges when they've had a particularly dirty tenant.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Tried the vinegar, and now it just smells like EO and vinegar. Hmm....
KEEP TRYING............we are counting on YOU for a solution!!

I once bought a freezer that had been used for fish storage ('after fishing' type of thing) and I just washed it out REALLY good......and left it open........took awhile.......but it went away.

You have got to do something that 'cuts' the oil.........don't know what...but..........

I broke a bottle in my basement awhile back and thought the STRONG smell would never leave. Liked the scent......but WHEW......was more than a few drops!!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Two washings with vinegar, with no change in the smell (except now the bedroom reeks vaguely of vinegar). I already tried both baking soda and coffee grounds, with no success after several days each. No briquets in the house, and I'm too lazy to go out and buy a bag, but I found a bag of activated charcoal, so I think I'm going to bring out the big guns and wash the thing down with ammonia, then stick the charcoal in there overnight to see what happens.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have never heard of a refrigerator smelling too good. Haha.

Hope the charcoal works. I was wondering if the sun beating down on the inside would help? I wish you the best getting the odors out!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I too have heard briquets work to get rid of odors. So if the plugged in trick doesn't work, I would pick up a bag next time you are in town. You are going to have one interesting smelling bedroom! :)

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Get some activated charcoal it absorbs smells and put it in there with the door shut. Check it after a week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.