Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have friends that really want to prep and get ready for unknown disasters, EMP's, and possible economic collapse, but their significant others ( mostly the wives ) just wont have anything to do with it, and deep down think they are crazy. I try to give them advise, but I am afraid I am running out of good advice for these people. I mean if a person truly thinks it's crazy to prepare, what could you do to change their minds.
It would seem that frugality and prepping would naturally go hand in hand, and most of them could easily afford the necessary supplies, but again, I am out of good advice for some of them.
Do you guys have any good advice I could share?

·
2,688 Posts
My hubby is being dragged along by things I do.
Sometimes it's really hard getting things across the way I want them to be.
I still am hammering home the greenhouse idea. It's not in place yet.
However, we have a decent garden area, and a nice pile of winter wood.
He frowned on several stocking up items in the house.
We're making progress :)
He wants to retire in 2 yrs. He better listen to me.

Oh, and any friends....well you can lead a horse to water,
but you can't make them drink.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
U can't really make them.. however we had a tornado here show her the pics and say honey I love u and I just want to take care of u the best I can.... If that don't work nothing will.
lol

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
hmm. I'm the more prepper-minded of the two of us. Dh is a very laid-back person by nature, but also thinking that I have it "under control" allows him to be more so. He sometimes laughs at me when I'm on the edge of my chair watching the news (there were a few times when it looked like we were only a few minutes away from default here in Greece) but he doesn't say anything about my water/food/medicine stockpile. We don't do weapons so I haven't had to have that conversation, thank goodness.

He did say he thought I was being unreasonable when I asked him to pull cash out of the bank the day before one of the tranches was decided (and ultimately I guess he was right) but he did as I asked.

I don't think he thinks I'm crazy at all - I think he thinks I'm anxious, and he's right. I have a pretty disarming manner and when I talk about things that I do, I tend to put them like "and of course I do x, because it would be a little silly not to, wouldn't it?" making it a little hard for him to disagree.

Because I handle ALL the finances, and I do it really well, he has no complaints about my spending money on preps. I spend money to beat inflation, so that's money in our pockets; and he knows I am not buying stuff we don't use. Our stockpile is a living stockpile, not an 'emergency stash,' so there's no waste or expired food.

I think it comes down to respect in the end. He respects my 'chief homemaker & financial planner' status, and I respect his 'laid back nature.' He lets me do my prepper thing and I don't bug him about doing it too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm. I'm the more prepper-minded of the two of us. Dh is a very laid-back person by nature, but also thinking that I have it "under control" allows him to be more so. He sometimes laughs at me when I'm on the edge of my chair watching the news (there were a few times when it looked like we were only a few minutes away from default here in Greece) but he doesn't say anything about my water/food/medicine stockpile. We don't do weapons so I haven't had to have that conversation, thank goodness.

He did say he thought I was being unreasonable when I asked him to pull cash out of the bank the day before one of the tranches was decided (and ultimately I guess he was right) but he did as I asked.

I don't think he thinks I'm crazy at all - I think he thinks I'm anxious, and he's right. I have a pretty disarming manner and when I talk about things that I do, I tend to put them like "and of course I do x, because it would be a little silly not to, wouldn't it?" making it a little hard for him to disagree.

Because I handle ALL the finances, and I do it really well, he has no complaints about my spending money on preps. I spend money to beat inflation, so that's money in our pockets; and he knows I am not buying stuff we don't use. Our stockpile is a living stockpile, not an 'emergency stash,' so there's no waste or expired food.

I think it comes down to respect in the end. He respects my 'chief homemaker & financial planner' status, and I respect his 'laid back nature.' He lets me do my prepper thing and I don't bug him about doing it too.
Thats great islangirl! I am glad he lets you have your way! It took me a while with my girls, but I finally brought them around to my way of thinking. But my best friends wife actually gets mad and looks at him like he just escaped the looney bin, then that makes me mad! Sometimes I think she just doesn't want to spend the money, and that is all she is thinking about!
I think I will try to get her to join this forum and maybe that will help. She is also a good friend of mine so maybe she will at least listen to me and join. Then we can all convince her!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
You can talk until you're blue in the face but until the other party is ready to listen, they won't hear you.

Also...I understand caring about your friends but there comes a point where you need to keep your eye on your own yard and ignore everyone else. I'd sure hate to have someone else telling me (and my spouse) what they think we 'should' be doing. A suggestion once or twice, ok - but it sounds like you're badgering your friends and I could be wrong. But there's always a bit of info that is unknown to the outsider who's not in that marriage.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well we are all good friends, and he usually starts it with his wife, and I just agree with him. I do not badger people, and when I do tell them about prepping, I try to keep as a friendly suggestion.
But I am giving up, some things get to a point that it's just not worth it!

·
Registered
763 Posts
It sound's like enough information has been put out there for her to think about!
I'd drop it and go on doing what you do without "including" her. Let her stew on it a lil....We had a person who refused to have anything to do with it when we would discuss it and we dropped it when it came to them.
Not long after that (a few months) they came to me, apologized and explained that it scared the $hit out of them! But having been given time to think about it, they came around.
They might come around, they might not. But I'd say don't worry yourself over it or waste your time on it, put your time into what's important knowing you tried :0)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Have your friend (not you!) ask the wife - what is about prepping that your are opposed to?

Then discuss the whys and why nots. . . .

For my husband - he tells me he wants to be able to provide for his family's safety and security. . . whether it be a financial collapse, natural disaster, or just a short term disability where one of us can't work. . . so it's nice to have food, clothing, extra fuel etc. put back for hard times. . .

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I just always called it stockpiling in case of job loss. DH kept saying don't we have enough of this or that. It wasn't until he started realizing he could get stuff in the name of Prepping that he even partially agreed. He got a new gun and some ammo. I got DD a sewing machine and pepper spray. DS a couple of knives. So now they prep.
Dh gets irritated because he think we have too much food. But he just has NO idea what food costs,how much it takes to feed a teen,or how to cook-so I do my thing.

As far as friends go-they don't know I stockpile,they wouldn't understand. I can't even get my own mother to stock more than a few can goods. It is beyond her. I even offered to buy a shelving unit.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'm the one in our family who stockpile & prep...hubby and two grown kids think I am nuts. I just smile and go about my business...today I realize I don't have enough food for 10 people for a long period of time and need to build it up. I don't tell anyone why I stockpile...I worry about water....we live in a city...sure wish I lived in the country...could bring in my supplies without neighbors seeing....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts