Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 4 of 47 Posts

· Registered
13,767 Posts
It's an ongoing process here. DH and I combined 3 households (his, mine, and his parents) when we moved here. We had 2, 3 and even 4 copies of everything. One summer I cleared a pile of junk larger than my car out of the garage. Unfortunately it gets replaced quickly. We have been working on the basement for about ten years now. DH used to collect computers. Then he got into fish tanks. Now it's 3d printers. He once brought home a pallet of 8 dead PC monitors. I can't complain, I'm a quilter and have enough craft stuff to open a store. I used to buy fabric by the bolt, but I cut back a lot a few years ago.

Anyway, we have a recycle bin in the front hall where it is easy to toss magazines, junk mail and boxes. I keep a small trash can in every room so little stuff doesn't clutter up the house. One day "real soon" we're going to tackle the closet under the stairs. :)

Reactions: Rhonda Grice

· Registered
13,767 Posts
I'm pretty sure no one is going to want my stuff when I am gone, too. For now I donate to a charity shop and let them worry about whether anyone wants it or not.

Ironically, I wanted my mom's stuff when I was younger, because I didn't have anything. She wouldn't give me anything, not a single pot or plate. I had to scrounge yard sales for everything. And now that I have a house full of stuff she is begging me to take things. I don't need it and I don't have room. So the grandkids will end up with it all, if it doesn't just go to the curb.

· Registered
13,767 Posts
We've really gotten behind on clearing out the junk. I've spent most of 2017 as an invalid and both the house and yard are out of control. I got a little caught up over the summer between surgeries, but it's back again. I'm feeling depressed and overwhelmed by the mess. DH does what he can, the dishes and the cat boxes and says he doesn't want to end up on an episode of Hoarders, but really he'd rather play computer games when he gets home from work. I'm seriously considering hiring someone to come in and vacuum, and clean the bathroom and kitchen. What I really want to do is sweep a lot of it into boxes and haul it to the curb. So frustrated tonight.

· Registered
13,767 Posts
It took us years to clear the junk on top of DH's old car. Fortunately it's not that bad down there, but it's getting close.

Today I cleaned off part of my desk. Stuff has sat for months. I found ~$150- in checks to deposit. I found last year's christmas cards, and as soon as I have time to get the stamps off, that's all going in the recycle. I have a stack of papers to file. There is a stack of mailing envelopes I kept to re-use, and I have pared it down in the past, but that may get tossed as well.

So, a little progress.

1 - 4 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.