Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you do it? We have portulaca again this year, BIG TIME!!! I've gotten it all out of my flowerbeds without a problem, because as soon as it comes up, I dig it out.

BUT its in the lawn as well and grows and grows. If I pull it, I don't get the roots, but to dig it would leave big holes in the lawn. Its not like dandelions that can usually be pulled and the roots gotten.

Any suggestions from the crunchy tree huggers.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Our yard is so lacking in grass, that we let most anything green live. Since SO built the house, we have struggled to get grass to grow. It's hard, red clay here. As for the flower beds, I have been saving my newspapers and am going to pull all the weeds I can, lay newspaper around the plants and covering the weeds and put a very heavy layer of hay on top of that. Due to the massive amounts of rain this year, my flower beds are really full of weeds. Next year I hope to do a better job of weed control.
I hope you have better luck with your weed control.

pat

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
A friend of DH's was just telling us the other day that he mixes water and dish soap, with some vinegar thrown in. (At least I think that was the recipe, I didn't write it down!) I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds better than those chemical sprays we usually buy.

EDITED TO ADD: I went searching to see if I could find the recipe, and found this post on the ThriftyFun.com site.

Here's a recipe for homemade weed killer that WORKS! Use a funnel to place the following ingredients in a medium spray bottle approximately the size of a quart, but it doesn't have to be exact: 1 cup of vinegar 1/2 cup of regular dish soap (not dishwasher detergent) Fill the rest of the bottle up with water. Shake well before each use. Spray mixture directly on the weed itself; if weed is out in the yard, be careful not to spray the grass! The vinegar is what kills the weeds, but the dish soap holds the vinegar in place so it stays on the plant instead of running off. This works great on grass or weeds in sidewalk or driveway cracks, too. Best time to spray is in the middle of the day when the sun is beating down on you. Just a quick comment on the weed killers: Add dish soap to the vinegar and mix it with water to spot-weed the yard (usually 1 part dish soap, 2 parts vinegar, and 2 parts water). The dish soap makes the vinegar stick to the weed longer, and a couple of days baking in the sun should do the trick! - Jan

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
That sounds like a keeper. I am going to try it on some weeds I have in my yard. Thanks Amy for the great tip.

·
27,948 Posts
Wonderful, versitile vinegar strikes again.
I swear with vinegar, baking soda and duct tape you can do just about anything.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts