Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just have to gloat some --- found a really good deal.

I recently sold my 1998 Ford Taurus with 193k miles (witha broken odometer, speedometer, oil leak, rough transmission, and bad suspension) for $600. I had planned on just biking everywhere and that seemed like a good plan.. until the winter.. so I kinda just kept an eye open for a back up plan.

I figured I'd be car free for a while.

A couple I know at work just got a 'new' (to them) car in a divorce settlement and they haven't been driving 'his' car... a 2001 Chevy Cavalier with 130k miles on it. I overheard them talking about junking it.

It needs a new battery and a few minor things I can do myself.. but nothing major. The Blue Book value is ~$1500. Not only this, it gets better gas mileage than our current car so we'll use this one to get to work when we drive.

How much is it going to cost me?

A hundred bucks.

Technically I could just fix it up and sell it at a profit.. which I may do next year after I drive it for a little while.

So I just got paid $500 for upgrading.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Congrats on finding a good deal for yourself.

IMO, a Chevy Cavalier has poor reliability and safety ratings. I would not purchase one myself. With all this being said, just keep up with the regular maintenance and good luck with it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a car that is simply available in lieu of biking to work.. nothing more. If it dies.. it dies.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
sounds like you really cant go wrong with it. Even if it dies, you can probably get a hundred for scrap metal!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I have a 2004 Cavalier 5 speed and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. It gets great gas milage and it's paid for. While everyone else is spending their paychecks on their gas guzzling 4x4's, SUV's, and luxury cars every week I'm driving my little blue Sparky on one tank of gas for over 2 weeks. I've never had a single problem with this car. I think it's the perfect kind of car if all you are doing is driving it to work, and you sure can't beat the price.:cheer4: If you ask me no car is safe anymore. When they quit making them with real chrome and steel, they sentenced us to die in a car crash. Plastic just doesn't do well in a 65 mph crash.JMO

Cat

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is a car that is simply available in lieu of biking to work.. nothing more. If it dies.. it dies.
I had the sister car, Pontiac Sunfire, and had nothing but problems with it. Luckily everything was covered under warranty. Hope you have better luck than I did with it.

See you bikeforums.net. :wave:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts