Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
When I get gift cards I, too, hold on to them...like others if it's a WalMart card I think, "I should use it for groceries".

My son got me one for Dilliards a couple years ago. I just used it this past August.

I still have a couple for WalMart that I'm hanging on to. I figure if things get alot worse, which I truly believe they could, at least they can be used for groceries or many different NEEDS.

I probably will not be changing my way of thinking. I don't need clothes, towels, sheets, shoes, another set of pots and pans, more pretty things to dust....If I received those things as a gift, yes, I would use but to go out and buy...nope.
Was reading back thru the archives and found this one and my post. Nothings changed. I still hoard gift cards. Son got me yet another Dilliards gift card a couple 2 or 3 years ago and I STILL have it. Probably wouldn't if Dillards was closer. One year I used a couple for Christmas presents. I still have quite a few saved back. Few restaurant, few Walfart and some odds and ends. Any Christmas money or birthday I save in a cubby in my wallet for "just in case" I see something. I did use some a few months ago to get my hair cut and professionally colored. First time I've not done it myself. Wasn't impressed but hair is now gray and having a hard time finding something that will work on it.

I still like the Walmart ones. Can use them for most anything. Like someone else said. Buy groceries with it and take the money out of household.

Can't say I feel guilty but I don't just use them for just anything. I think I feel like they may be needed. I did use for a couple of smart ass saying tee shirts at Walfart. Whopping $10 for both.

·
Super Moderator
1,957 Posts
well nobody gives me gift cards but I just ordered one today from MyPoints, $50 Visa card. I will just spend it on whatever. I wish they still offered gas gift cards, we always used to get those.

I am trying to get better about "guilt-free" spending. My late DH was very frugal and it rubbed off on me. Now that he is gone and I am comfortable financially, I still have trouble spending on me. Since I do most of my shopping in charity thrift stores, I try to tell myself, "Wouldn't I make a donation to this charity for their good work?" But I still have trouble spending $2.75 for a pair of earrings, lol.

I'm working on it though. I spent the holidays alone and thought about buying myself something for a gift. I couldn't think of anything I wanted until I came up with a new MP3 player, $30 at Best Buy and it replaces my 2 (very) aging Ipod shuffles. I'm glad I got it.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts