Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a large large window on the front of our house, facing the street. Currently it is not a big deal, we have a curtain and are 15 feet or so back from the road. This summer, however, our city is putting in sidewalks and widening the street so there will then be a sidewalk about 10 feet in front of our giant window. It is probably 10 feet wide, and goes from top to bottom of the room with about 1 foot on top and on bottom. I am concerned about privacy once they put the sidewalks in, and was wondering if anyone has ever used window films that are tinted on home windows? I see the Gila brand at Lowes, and am very intrigued to say the least :)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The one's I've used (not sure of brand) blocked sunshine (heat, curtain damage, etc.) and reflected things during the day, but you could see right through them at night. Basically, with more light inside than out, it stops the reflection. Anyway, it would definitely make things more private in the daytime.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have some, we have a wall of floor to ceiling widwns that look into our back yard andthey will be putting n a building ehind us so we decied to give that a try for privacy.
It is better then I thought with keeping the sun out and on ot hot sunny days it helps alot with keeping the house cool. It does well with privacy during the day at night you cn see in but daytime you cn't see in a all. We used mirow film.
I will warn you big windows are hard to do, it is hard to get the film on straight without ubbles on a big window but think worth it!!
Eileen

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Madico.com offers excellent window films and has installers to put it up for you.

True- you can still see in at night when the degree of light shifts.

We use mini blinds and for the large window, we had to purchase a custom strong one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, Im looking at the Madico site right now and there is an installer near here. Do you happen to remember how much it costs as an estimate? Im leary of sights with no pricing info, lol.

Ill keep in mind about the bubbles on big windows if we do it ourselves, too. I couldnt put the protector stuff on my ds without it being iffy, so i wouldnt attempt the window on my own!

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Dh did it to our big glass front door and a big window upstairs. We really like it. It was very easy for him to install!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts