Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ginger Garlic Green Beans

Recipe Description
Asian-style green beans. Finally, a green bean dish that doesn't require slivered almonds or french-fried onions!!​
Preparation Steps:
If you have fresh garlic, peel several cloves and mince finely.

If you use fresh ginger, peel and chop finely. (I just used the pre-chopped ginger from a jar.)​
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
20 minutes​
Ingredients:
1 pound green beans, trimmed
3-4 garlic cloves, minced finely
1 T soy sauce (I use low-sodium)
1 T chopped ginger
2 tsps unseasoned rice vinegar
1 T vegetable oil
1/2 tsp Asian sesame oil
sesame seeds, toasted (optional, for garnish)​
Serves:
4 servings​
Directions:
Mash garlic to a paste, then stir together with soy sauce, ginger, vinegar, and oils in a large bowl. Set aside.

Cook green beans in salted water for 6-7 minutes, just until tender, then drain, plunge into ice water to stop them from cooking to mushiness, and pat dry. (OR, cheat and buy the green beans in a bag that you just pop in the microwave).

Add beans to sauce and mix. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.​

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
These sound like a refreshing change!!
Can't wait to try these...Thanks for sharing!!

Reactions: madhen

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
These sound wonderful! Heh, agree about the french fried onions. I have a bag in the freezer and was thinking of some way to spruce them up. Perfect!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Oh I think I'm in love with green beans again.

Thanks Madhen!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are wonderful. I made them for the first time at Christmas, then ran out and bought about another five pounds of green beans, so I can have them all to myself this time! :D

The beans taste good hot or cold, by the way, so they make a nice healthy snack to leave in the fridge.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Can I use seasoned rice vinegar? I have a bottle of that.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't think it would make a difference, but I don't know what seasoned rice vinegar tastes like. What is the seasoning? If it is garlic or some other thing that would complement green beans or soy sauce, I imagine it would be fine.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I had to go look. Seems their idea of 'seasoned' is HFCS, salt, and brown sugar. I sampled it and it does have a bit of a sweet taste to it but I think it'll be fine in your recipe. I bought it to use in sesame noodles.

So now I know what vegetable dish I want to make tonight. :) Now to figure out what I want to do with the chicken breasts.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Yum, this is good. Except I forgot to drain off the water before I poured the green beans into the bowl (microwave-in-bag) so it diluted the sauce but they're still delicious! DH gives a thumbs up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts