Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been measuring right on target for the first 37 weeks of pregnancy, just a TAD over between weeks 34 and 37. Suddenly at my last appointment (38 weeks), I measured 42. The doctor had me schedule an appointment with the ultrasound tech, which I went to today... They did some extensive ultrasound-ing and measuring and whatever stuff they do...

And the baby is 10 lbs 6 oz (give or take a pound).

:yikes:

The doctor has been saying all along that with my bone structure (very small, especially in the pelvic region) it will be difficult for me to deliver a small or normal sized baby, let alone a HUGE one. I don't even know how I built such a big baby, considering my size! lol I couldn't discuss it with the doctor today, as he was out on a delivery, but the ultrasound tech reluctantly told me that the doctor would likely not let ANYONE try to deliver a baby that size, it was one of the biggest she'd ever seen, let alone someone like me. It just isn't safe, and they'd likely have to break the baby's collar bone to get him out etc.

So...C-section it is. Which is fine, I just want the baby to be safe.

However, it got me wondering...any other people out there with really big babies? Was anyone able to deliver a baby that was over 10 lbs without a C-section? Anyone very small (5'7", 110 - 115 lbs before pregnancy) that managed to create such a large baby and deliver it?

I'm still totally baffled about how the baby got as big as he did. My health has been perfect the whole pregnancy, no signs of diabetes, blood pressure perfect, only about 25 - 30 lbs of weight gain... The baby is perfect, perfectly formed, not stressed etc...

So confusing! lol Anyone else like me?

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Wow that is a huge baby, I am 5' 2" and before I got prego with my DD I weighed only 100lbs give or take a few, when she was born she weighed 8lbs 13 oz. and she was huge, atleast to me and I had her naturally, which was great but I tore down there and it hurt like heck!

I say go for the c-section, your small framed and it would be the best thing for you AND the baby. :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Whoa, thats a big baby! :) Mine was 8 lbs 2 oz which felt huge, I'm 5' 2" and the baby got stuck pretty bad from his shoulders (and had to be pulled out with a vacuum before he got stuck). Yeah go with the C-section and good luck!!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Yep, that's a big baby you got there. :) I don't have any useful advice, but just wanted to wish you luck. I will be thinking of ya.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I don't have any advice for you but when I had my oldest DD {I had both DD's by C-section} there was a lady who had the biggest baby & he weighed in at birth at 13lbs.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I say wait and see what your doctor says. The ultrasound weight as you mentioned, is not 100% accurate. He could be a pound smaller or more.
My first baby was 9 lbs. 8 ozs. Now I am tall, 5'10, but was able to deliver him no problem. They did use the vacuum extractor which I didn't want, but needed a little help.

Let us know how it all goes. :hugz:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am 5-3 with a petite structure , my son was 42 weeks 5-6 Days (i know way over due) he was 9.8 , I went natural , no perinal tear age , although i did have vulvar tearing (along the lips). Till this day he is a big baby (5 months) , but is considered height weight proportionate

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm 5'3" and I delivered my son at 10lb1oz at home with absolutely NO problems whatsoever! I didn't even TEAR!

Ultrasounds this late in the game are HIGHLY inaccurate and can be off by over a pound EASILY. I don't believe our bodies create babies that are larger than we can birth. My daughter was a cesarean at 9lb9oz and it was due to positioning, not size.

I really hope you'll research C-sections before consenting to one - I'm still having a difficult time emotionally recovering from mine and it's been 2 years!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Also, not sure how into it you want to get as far as researching goes, but Cesareans statistically have a 3x HIGHER mortality rate for moms AND babies and a MUCH higher rate of re-hospitalization and infection in the mother. I've done a ton of research since my c-section and can't justify doing it again (even if my next one is bigger!) lol

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
DH was 14 lbs 1 oz at birth. He was obviously a C-section. His sister was also a bigger baby, almost 11 lbs and another C-section.

I told my OB/GYN about DH's size since I was a smaller person(only 5 foot and never weighed more than 115 lbs). He did my ultrsound and said DD was only going to be about 6 pounds. Within 36 hours of that ultrasound she was born (36 1/2 weeks gestation) weighing in at eight pounds and five ounces.

My point.... the ultrasound can be off a good bit. Don't worry, it will all be fine. Big babies are the cutest anyways!!!Good luck!!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I am 5' 3" and avg. weight before preg. was 120 all my kids were above avg.
9lb 15 oz.--9lb 6 oz--9lb 8 oz--and my youngest was 8 lb 11 oz. They all came out naturaly and I know I moved around alot quicker then the gal who shared a room with me and she had a C section.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your input.

I just want to clarify, I don't really think that whether I'm having a C-section or not is up for discussion. Because of pelvic trauma and positioning etc, it would be an extreme struggle to have a 6 lb baby, but I was going to try. Knowing that he's well above average, I'm quite sure that the doctor will not agree to even attempt a normal delivery. It would be very detrimental to the baby, if not to me.

In light of that, I'd prefer if your C-section horror stories were kept to yourself. If you have something encouraging to say, I'm happy to hear it, but since I don't really have much of a choice in the matter, I'd prefer to think positively about the C-section. Trust me, I'd prefer not to have one, if I had my way I'd have the baby at home totally naturally, but that's just not in the cards, so I'm being positive.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm sorry, I didn't realize you didn't have a choice. :) Cesareans are much easier and better on the mother when they're scheduled, at least from what I have seen! Here's to a WONDERFUL birth! I'll bet you're so excited. :)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I am a tall person and have huge bone structue... The birth weights of my kids in order were 7lbs 11 oz, 8lbs 11 oz, 10lbs 2 oz, and 9lbs 8 oz..... I tried to have my first one natural, and her shoulders were so big, that we decided that once she was born, that all future births were to be C-Section.... I don't think size has anything to do with the size of the baby, or if you deliver natural or not with big babies... I mean looking at me I should have been able to deliver my first easily, and I could not....

Edit to add: My three C-Sections had no complications...I did not have any problems during the surgery, or with recovery-except the allergic reation to the pain meds... Just do as the doctors and nurses say and you will be fine. It is not as bad as it is always made out to be.. If you have faith in your doctor, and the medical facility that you will be having the baby at then just let them do their jobs.. God put trained professional people like doctors on this earth for a reason.... JMHO.... Good luck, and I know all will be fine.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I had c/s with all three of the kiddos. I don't know any different. I can't say any of them was a bad experience, being that i don't have anyhting to compare to. All in all I think we're pretty good for it! :) Take time to care for you!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am only 5'1" and at the time of my first, I weighed maybe 110. DS was 8.10lbs. I never needed a C-section with any of mine. Yds(3rd child) was 8.15 and all el-natural, he was a long baby also 22.5 in.
I have a longtime friend from church and she is very tall, maybe right at 6 ft. However; after 5 kids, she is thin as a rail and you would never know she had any kids with her frame. Her oldest 3 where each well over 10 lbs. He youngest 2 where twins. They both weighed over 7 lbs each, I forget the exact but where ave. single size babies.
The numbers and all that can be way off so, don't panic just ,yet:surprise:
Do to your pelvic trauma, let alone baby positioning, that can change a the drop of a hat, I would consult with your Dr. about what your options are and the route they felt would be wouldl be the best option for both you and baby. Positioning yes, can be an issue but babies seem to do all sorts of summer saults in there(without your permission:cracked: ) up to the last.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
My younger sister is small, 5'4" and right around 110 lbs and her son was over 10 lbs and delivered naturally. She did great and had no complications and was home from the hospital in less than 24 hours.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Just to add.... Out of my two sisters and I, we have had 10 kids.... Six of them were C-Section and none of us had any complications, and the babies were perfectly healthy and all were above 8lbs 11 oz..... Just thought I would share our statistics too... :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had c/s with both sons, and its pretty much what you make it. If you're a wreck, it will seem very traumatic (first DS was emergency c/s, )2nd was planned. I actually didn't make it to the scheduled day, my water broke. I was moving around pretty good by the next morning. If you have any more questions, please PM me.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
My little pumpkins were all c/s. My eldest was an emergency c/s and she weighed in at 9 lbs 15 oz. My second was a scheduled c/s and then he came a week before the c/s date and I had a c/s anyway. He was 9 lbs 6 oz. My third was a scheduled c/s and he came a week before the c/s as well, and when they gave me the choice, I chose the c/s again. He was 8 lbs 11 oz.

I recovered great from all three c/s and had no emotional or physcial issues from it at all. I'm 5'5" and generally small framed as well. Best of luck to you...I'm sure it will all go well. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts