Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today has been one of those days.. I get a call from my daughter. Very upset. She said the girl next stole my money. My daughter is a waitress so she works doubles thurs,fri,sat. She can't get to the bank. So she had almost $500 she counted it about 45 minutes prior.sitting in her room in the closet on to safe deposit box. Well the girl next door comes over to borrow hairspray, my daughter says sure. So my daughter lets her use hairspray in her room. My grandson fell so she turns to check him. The girl tells her thanks and leaves all within a 3-5 minute period. My daughter found some $1's in her apron so goes to set them with her other money. The girl had taken all her $20's$50's left all the other money in total she took $390 dollars. No one else was there in the house.She went knocked on the door,, she asked the girl to hand over all the money she just stole from her. And of course the girl denies it

My daughters calls the police he comes down,, but the girl took off before the cops got there.. So report was filed. The officer said to call us when she gets back, so she did. Of course the cop gets the story from the girl..She says i was over there in the her room but i didnt take any money...So my daughter will never see the money again.. Get this the girl said to the officer I HAVE BEEN IN HER APARTMENT BUT I DIDN'T STEAL ANY MONEY THIS TIME...SOOO your telling you have in the past?? So now my daughter is thinking she has been doing this for awhile. maybe $20 here and there.The girls boyfriend comes over.Tells my daughter i really dont think she did it.. But i promise you if she did you will get your money back.. If i see she is spending money, she doesnt have a job, she is 20 pregnant, my daughter gave her almost $400 worth of maternity clothes tons of baby clothes,tons of needed things, borrowed my daughters clothes..So please keep her in your prayers.. She is a mess..She called her lanlord and asked him to change the locks also, because her keys came up missing a few months ago, no where to found in the house. So we are wondering is she took them and is sneaking in when my daughter s gone,, the lanlord had extra keys he gave her.My daughter works dam hard for money, that witch will get what she deserves.. So i had to vent.. Why are be so mean!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
So sorry this has happened to your daughter, she has every right to be hurt and upset.

The trouble the with trust is that when it's broken it is very hard to fix.

In future I would make sure that this greedy insensitive person doesn't come within spitting distance of her home.

I would make sure that I changed the locks and keys to be available to trusted family members only.

Find a safe hiding place for the money that no one would think of but your daughter ( I have a good one but pm for it I don't want to make it public)

Maybe this girl has "issues" and whilst it's nice to be charitable and help people I think I would keep her at arms length in future.

I do hope that your Daughter gets her money back, though it doesn't sound promising:(

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I'm sorry this happened.

When I was in HS, my cousin stole money from me. I was never able to prove it, but a few years later, a significant amount was stolen from her father. Coincidence?

Reactions: Nana2two

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i am so sorry - my dd is a waitress too and odd enough last night she was counting up he weeks money for deposit and had 500$ - i know how hard they work for their tips !! so sorry !!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
So sorry this has happened to your dd.

·
27,948 Posts
Sorry this happened. Interesting that the boyfriend is willing to notice if his gf is spending money she doesn't have. Looks like he doesn't trust her either & should rethink his choice in girlfriends.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Really sorry this happened to your daughter. When I was younger, my cousin stole $50 out of my drawer. I was only 14, so the money was saved up over a few months. I never got it back either.

I likewise work a job where I have cash on me for awhile without getting it deposited. A lot of people use regular locking safes, but the problem with those is that the key can be stolen, or, if it is small enough, the entire safe can be taken.

Few people are likely to be burglarized by strangers who ransack the place. Just like with your daughter, they're likely to get robbed by someone who knows them and has access to the house. Because of this, it isn't necessary to have a complex hiding place, just one that person is not likely to be able to access without it being too complex/drawing attention.

For example, if you fill wrap a wad of cash in foil, write "Cod Fillet" on it, and put it in the freezer, they're not likely to find it, because you're going to notice if they're opening wrappers inside of your freezer.

Here is where I personally hide my money.

I took a generic incandescent light bulb, gently pried the plastic piece off the end, pulled the wire out of the inside, sanded the edges of the hole so it wasn't sharp. The hole is the perfect size to slip a roll of cash into. I got a light bulb outlet from Home Depot and screwed it into the top of a utility closet so that it looks real, but doesn't need to be used. I then screw the light bulb into the socket.

No one ever notices a bulb unless it's burnt out. Just toss a couple marbles or quarters inside of it so if a helpful mother in law or something takes it down to throw it away, it's rattle and they'll notice that it isn't any ordinary lightbulb.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Sorry this happened. Interesting that the boyfriend is willing to notice if his gf is spending money she doesn't have. Looks like he doesn't trust her either & should rethink his choice in girlfriends.
Yes, it looks like the boyfriend already knows her character, or he would have been upset that you felt she stole from you. (your daughter).

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bet that your daughter will notice she has more money from now on. I am sorry
I know, thats what i told her. we kept saying you should have more money then what you have. She works ALOT.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is horrible. I'm sorry it happened. I had a nephew steal a few $50's i had tucked away. It is a horrible feeling :(
It's very sad, she is very loving and caring person. She loves helping when she can..So we are going to fork over the money she needs. I know she will pays us back..With her income tax. She always does.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
It's very sad, she is very loving and caring person. She loves helping when she can..So we are going to fork over the money she needs. I know she will pays us back..With her income tax. She always does.
That is so good you can help her. She might want to keep all her cash locked up from now on. I keep cash and jewelry locked up after the jewelry incident

1 - 16 of 16 Posts