Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a casual job, filling in for regular staff. But next week, I'm scheduled for an in-house interview to fill a regular position.

What's your best interview advice?

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
Practice your interviewing skills. Do a search for interviewing questions and study them.

Try not to be negative about your last job or last boss.

A friend of mine's wife was interviewing for a job and when asked why she left her previous job her reply was: "Because my boss was an a$$hole."

Needless to say, she didn't get the job.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
So its bad to say I left my last job because my last boss had OCD and was undiagnosed Bipolar-huh!

Seroiusly,My kids have been doing a lot of interveiwing. They are asking weird questions again. I guess the one things is people are very rude now. They say they will call back and dont and look at their watches etc.
So my comment is-Dont take anything personally and use it as a learning process.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Haven't interviewed in a while, but a common interview technique currently is the "behavioral interview." That was my last one with a panel of people. Tough as there are no right or wrong answers as you would normally expect. Google it so you are prepared if they use this.

Reactions: Early Bird

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Dress nice, even if the workplace is casual.
Show up early.
Do a little research on the company. A common question is "What do you know about our business?"
Be prepared to talk about what skills you bring to the job and why you are the best candidate.
You'll probably also have to answer: Why do you want this job?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Be prepared. Google behavioral interview questions like suebee said and have your answer ready for everything. Have specific stories ready for each scenario.

If you answer with an "ummmm" or "uhhhhhh" they won't be as receptive to your answers when you get around to giving them.

Smile. Eye contact. Firm handshake. Be happy to be there.

Know their company. Know the position.

Know your weaknesses. I would reply that I'm too detailed and organized...that I'm a perfectionist. Make a weakness into an actual positive.... (Yes it's horrible I like to do a good job and be detailed because it takes more time...bad for me good for them).

Be honest about previous jobs or situation during jobs that were negative, but don't bash anyone. Best if you have a solution ready to tell them (ie communication was lacking at last job, in the future I will be ready to talk openly about job expectations and work quickly to rectify them).

Make small jokes if appropriate and the interviewer is receptive...not if they are too serious (everyone wants to work with a happy person right?). I would say I like to see how many entries I could do in one hour, then try to beat that record...that's a mr skinner from the Simpsons reference....obviously I said it more cleverly than that. :)

And I actually am like that...so don't say something you can't deliver.

Say you are both a team player and can work independently.

Every previous job you list on your résumé, try to think of something you have learned from each one that would benefit this new job. I took a healthcare only resume and got me a customer service job (great people skills! Especially with crabby sick/dieing people...so I know how to handle irate customers) I then took customer service experience and got me a corporate desk job doing sensitive data entry at the same company. I can learn new things quick and multitask like you wouldn't believe!

Have good references. Seriously....have them gush about you. They will check.

Practice the interview with a friend.

Dress appropriately. Look put together. Sit with confidence like they'd be a fool if they didn't hire you.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Be yourself!

In this interview they already know you, but don't assume that means it isn't a real interview. Because they have experience working with you, you have to be extra particular about the stories you tell. Let's say they ask you to describe one are where you had a difficult that you succeeded at achieving, try to make the story about something outside of work (a volunteer project, for instance) because they already know about you AT work.

But definitely be yourself. They already like you.

Oh and, I never give a number for my salary expectations. My general response is that I'm curious to see the offer because that will tell me if they agree that the job is worth what I think the job is worth. If our numbers are vastly different then that tells me I got the wrong impression of what the job might entail.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Dress above the job you're interviewing to get. . .

Turn off your cell phone - not just to vibrate, turn it OFF.

Have questions about the job ready for when they ask. . . if they already covered most of your questions, ask them to clarify or elaborate on a specific thing.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, guys, one of the interview committee had to go out of town suddenly, so the interview hasn't happened yet. It's scheduled for tomorrow.

Any last-minute advice?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Go to bed early, get a good nights sleep. Eat something for breakfast - something with a lot of protein, lesser carbs. If interview is in the morning, get up an hour earlier than you think you need to so you can have time to relax and take your time getting ready.

Smile, relax, remember that YOU have something to offer THEM just as THEY have something to offer YOU. And good luck! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts