Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of us donate or give away stockpile items, either occasionally or on a regular basis?
I don't have a big stockpile yet, but I have enough of some things that I have been able to share with my family to help them out. My mom is disabled and constantly worrying about where to find the money for things she is running out of. Last week she happened to mention that she was getting short on mayonnaise, so I gave her a jar. I had four that need to be used before the exp. date in June. Yesterday my mom and younger sister were here visiting and they were talking about some things they needed at the grocery store. My sister is 18 and still lives at home, she usually buys the household stuff like TP, shampoo etc. She asked me if I had any coupons that I could give them to help out. I sent them home with what they needed instead: a four pack of TP, a bottle of laundry soap, shampoo, conditioner and trashbags. When I give them things, they are very thankful and they look amazed that I am able to afford to be generous like that. As much as I try to explain that I didn't pay much at all, with coupons/sales etc, my mom just can't wrap her head around it, because she has always lived with such scarcity, just buying what you need right this minute. It feels really good to be able to help. I've tried to teach her how to stockpile, but she is too scared to spend money ahead, it's something we might be able to work on over time.
I need to find a good place to donate my extra tubes of toothpaste, I have so many that I got for free at CVS, I feel like I'll never use them up. I think I may bring them to a homeless shelter.
Do you give away/donate stockpile items? To whom?

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's a very good question. I do try to use everything, especially with times being so tough...however I do donate from time to time...and I give to the food Bank at my Church as well as the Food Bank in my county!

Hope this helps!!!

Reactions: mama2James

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have stocked canned veggies in storage, but we really don't like to eat them and consider them emergency-use food. Each year these items get donated to the local Food Bank.

We also have a "starving artist" son who goes shopping in our storage room when he comes home for visits.

·
2,688 Posts
I donate to family members when I have something extra to spare. Up untill recently, I was giving away about 6 dozen eggs a week from our chickens. Now I have a buyer for those eggs.
I also give to 2 church pantries when I can. Some of those things were from our garden last summer and fall.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I have posted before about my BIL who stole some things from my stockpile twice!!! He is unemployed at the moment and we were letting him do his laundry in our basement. That's when he stole from my canned goods.

Now, we give him some items from time to time to help him, but he is no longer allowed to be alone in the basement. We gave him items from the SP at Christmas like:toothpaste, deodarant, toothbrush, shampoo, soap, etc.

I don't know why he felt he had to steal, but I have forgiven him and moved on. We told him he just needs to ask.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
M2J - if your mom's reluctant to stockpile - why don't you stockpile for her? Find out (although I'm sure you already know) the items which would be of most use to her, and focus your couponing and sale shopping on them. Then, maybe Christmas, Mother's Day or her birthday - give it to her as a gift?

When we sold our home in December, we knew we'd be 'homeless' for a while (we live with our adult daughter, and close on our new place in two weeks). We gave most of our stockpile away to the local Caring Center. Our old home had a 10' by 10' walk-in pantry with 200+ linear feet of shelves. Our new home hasn't got a pantry (yet) so there would have been nowhere to put stuff anyway.

Reactions: klean163 and Libby

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I like MC's idea to stockpile for your mom in advance and present it as a gift.

I donate to my freeloading bro...he's just one who can't 'seem' to help himself.....he's cheap as in embarrassing cheap at the stores but refuses to shop disc groc stores and use coupons. I can not figure out how he sees himself better then everyone else for NOT saving every penny he's earned.

Each time he comes to visit my dad - he manages to find a reason to be down in my area of the house and raids my stockpile. I have it so organized (b/c I only stock a limited # of things) that I KNOW whats missing. There are actually gaps on the shelves. I always send him an email after I find out he's been by to tell him "YOU'RE WELCOME for stealing from your baby sister." BTW: My bro doesn't seem to come by to visit dad as often anymore. I wonder why?

I know its my bro, and if he asked, I'd have no prob sharing but just ask! Let's just say that I've learned to hide my stockpile in boxes now on the shelf and label the box 'photos' or 'craft supplies' etc. Whats not easily visible seems to stay put...imagine that.

Other times I'll take one of my extra "x" item from my stockpile to my sister's, friend's or bf's b/c I know they could use it or it came up in convo that they needed something and I just happened to have it and be seeing them shortly.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Our goal is 1 shopping cart per month to the local food pantry. So far 4 carts and 1/2 on the floor from Feb. not organized yet (yes,I know it's Mar.)
As I get better at this I get more and more FREE items too.
Mom and I trade coupons as well as a few other people from FV. It is casual and we just list what we need. No one is tight about 1 for 1 or anything.

I think you should stockpile for mom. Make her gift baskets. Throw in a few pretties she would never buy for herself. Make up holidays if you have to. St.Patricks day w/ green wrap on anything she would use.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Oooohhhh, stockpile gift baskets. I LOVE that idea. That sounds like a challenge to me - a gift basket stuffed with free or nearly free (you paid less than 10% of retail ) items. What do you all think???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oooohhhh, stockpile gift baskets. I LOVE that idea. That sounds like a challenge to me - a gift basket stuffed with free or nearly free (you paid less than 10% of retail ) items. What do you all think???
I think this sounds like a great idea! I'll have to give it a try.

Kim

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I will use stuff that we have stockpiled for charity use or to help out friends or family. I also use coupons and sales for the sole purpose of charity, pet food to donate to local animal shelters, and I take personal care items to a local womans and childrens shelter.

·
Registered
430 Posts
In considering the baskets of stockpiled items, don't forget the young adults and college students! One year I gifted all my nieces and nephews with reusable bags full of goodies, and they were thrilled! They don't get the whole couponing thing and loved having a wide variety of mostly toiletries to try and to use. I estimated that each bag was in excess of $70 when all was said and done if I'd had to pay full price.

·
Registered
474 Posts
You can lead a horse to water....

It seems to me that people act interested in learning how to coupon when in reality, they really just want you to hand them the stuff without doing any of the work.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
i don't store anything i don't use. store what you eat, eat what you store.

i don't understand the CVSers at all. i got all this crap for 15 bucks...boy what a deal.... but i'll never use it so i'll give it away... isn't that a waste of the original 15 bucks?

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
DH and I are trying to cut down on our comsumption of salt and sugar, so we ended up giving away a lot of stockpiled crap foods. Which probably wasn't the best idea. :hmmm:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I do sometimes- I too am 'over run' with free or close to it toothpaste- my friend's hubby has a serious dental issue and can only use the 'ProHealth' stuff that generally costs $4+ a tube..I know they are in a really bad $ situation right now, so I pass along a tube or two a month if I have it....there is also a running joke with my friends, everyone calls ME for cold/flu medicine or kid's tylenol at strange hours-we live in the country, 30+ minutes form the nearest 24 hour center, 20 minutes from the drugstore, if it's an 'off' time they call to see if I have what they need...I usually do! They often replace it shortly for me though.

Items I get fro free/super cheap I donate to the food pantry or to the 'Green Center' which recycles gently used clothng/items for others who need them, for free.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Yes, we often give away/donate stuff in our stockpile. There is a family at our church that used to be missionaries in Zambia that I often give some of our stuff too. They are so appreciative all of the time. The hubby is a full-time worker for the church at a men's prison, and I know that they don't have a lot. I also sometimes give items to my friend when I know she's running low on something--the last time it was a few bars of soap.

I am confident that the Lord will always take care of me and supply all of my needs.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I give stuff away to the local clothes basket during the holidays. They greatly appreciate whatever anyone gives.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My neighbors know to hit me up for whatever - TP, soap, pb, etc. My home is stocked well.
SO usually makes a shopping list AFTER he talks to me.

I donate food stuffs when there is a food drive in the neighborhood - typically picked up by the USPS twice a year.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I need to be careful with some of the foods I buy on sale. Sometimes I forget and there is an ingredient that I am alergic to. So I give that away. Also, I just gave some pasta away since I am trying to cut out most gluten from my diet.

Usually the only thing I give away is stuff I get for free with a coupon that I was planning on giving away.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts