1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's not going so well:-(
I miss it a lot
and detest decaf
I've been trying to substitute hot chocolate in the morning so I don't feel SO empty
I'm not ttc for a little while still
hubby and I agreed to wait till jan
and while I would like to start sooner that is the deal:)
anyways I'm just having a hard time giving it up
any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Could you ween (sp?) yourself since you have some time? I stopped also when ttc my dh and the dr. laughed and said I was being more extreme than need be. Our school psych was appalled that I drank one cup/day with ds (hey, I had a full time job, a dh and a 2yo). She then told me that they drank wine in the 70's to relax while pregnant. I definitely didn't worry about my one cup/day then!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I drank several cups of coffee while TTC and while preg. with all three of my children. It made up for the fact that I get no sleep when I'm pregnant and still don't get any sleep now that the youngest is 5 months old.

But if you really want to quit drinking it, try doing 1/2 decaf 1/2 caf. That's what I switched to on my Starbucks splurges while preg. I didn't really miss it then.

Also, hot chocolate makes most people sleepy so that may be the reason it's not helping very much.

·
Registered
556 Posts
we are ttc also and we have a addiction to pop. right now im off of pop but drinking sweet tea instead and jason has cut down on pop. with merrick i drank a ton of pop

·
Registered
626 Posts
give up coffee?

I don't think soooooooooo.

nope. I consider it natures energy drink and have to have 2 cups every morning.

I also buy the good stuff and grind it up.
Won't give up my coffee.
If I have to, I'll cut back to one cup but it would take a lot to make me cut back.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
give up coffee?

I don't think soooooooooo.

nope. I consider it natures energy drink and have to have 2 cups every morning.

I also buy the good stuff and grind it up.
Won't give up my coffee.
If I have to, I'll cut back to one cup but it would take a lot to make me cut back.
I take in a LOOOOT of caffeine like probably 8-10 cups a day
well that's what I USED to drink
plus I chewed that JOLT gum
it was really rediculous
I know THAT can't be good for baby

·
Registered
316 Posts
I drank coffee before I got pregnant with each of mine and once the morning sickness kicked in I couldn't even tolerate the smell of it (and I love coffee). I am not sure why that study recently came out about caffeine and miscarriage because that has been known for years. (I actually came accross it after I miscarried 6 years ago). I think that if you just cut out the gum and cut back to a few cups a day you would be fine. Beware cutting cold turkey is gonna give you a doosy of a headache. I do not see a need to cut it out entirely, but that is just my opinion. Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
626 Posts
oh my kelly.... thats a bit much for even adults !

bet your house is clean as you must be hyper after all that ;)

I did not know we were talking about major caffiene intake like that.
You must be getting bad headaches coming down from that... hope you have plenty of headache medicine until you get all that out of your system.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh my kelly.... thats a bit much for even adults !

bet your house is clean as you must be hyper after all that ;)

I did not know we were talking about major caffiene intake like that.
You must be getting bad headaches coming down from that... hope you have plenty of headache medicine until you get all that out of your system.
I had headaches for the first couple weeks
but I couldn't take much in the way of headache medicine because most of them contain caffeine

·
Registered
287 Posts
I gave up coffe as soon as I became pregnant with each of them. The thought of is made me sick to my stomach. I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms either.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
it's not going so well:-(
I miss it a lot
and detest decaf
I've been trying to substitute hot chocolate in the morning so I don't feel SO empty
I'm not ttc for a little while still
hubby and I agreed to wait till jan
and while I would like to start sooner that is the deal:)
anyways I'm just having a hard time giving it up
any suggestions?
Try different types of caffeine. Black tea has more then a regular cup of coffee. Once you train your body that it will still get caffeine just in a new form at different times of the day - not on your reg schedule, it will adjust. Took me about 2 weeks.

I used to drink 4 cups of regular brewed coffee a day. I was wondering why I was over jittery and easily excitable at work. To start the transition, I would have one cup of regular in the am to get the day going but then switch to water, then an herbal tea, then water, then a black tea. In the afternoon if I was jonesin' big time for a coffee, I'd make a decaf.

I reserached on the net which has more caffeine and by how much? WOW fresh brewed regular coffee has WAY too much for me. I now drink instant decaf regularly and once in a while I will have a small to medium freshed brewed when out or as a treat. No more nervous nelly syndrome at work. :)

PS: I dont really feel the urge to have coffee at work anymore other then my one cup in the am. But if I do, I try to pacify the craving with black tea (orange pekoke?), early grey or vanilla earl grey. Seems to have worked the past few months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts