Frugal Village Forums banner

Giving up eating out is easier than I thought it would be.

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Shelli_wnj 
#1 ·
We moved in on January 15th and while we did spend the first few days eating take-out (Wok Box, Harvey's, etc.), we haven't done it ever since. Even our trips to the store to pick up supplies has dwindled in occurrence.

I think for us, it's been a combination of location and fixing the menu at home that's been the biggest contribution to lowering our costs. The closest fast food place is actually quite the drive. The weather's been uncooperative, as has been our schedule. DH works from 8am to 5pm and on the weekends, we've been going to Ikea. At Ikea, a hot dog is 50 cents and a frozen yogurt is a dollar. For four people, that's about $6. That's in comparison to $35 or more if we get drive-thru food.

The boys have been more open to eating new items for lunch. DS7 has taken a shine to salami with pickle sandwiches and DS12 likes his bologna and cheese. I can do peanut butter and jam at home with DS7, but with DS12 he'd be taking lunch to school. At all schools here, nuts are a big no-no so it's either bologna, egg salad or salami sandwiches. DS12 will even eat tuna fish, which is good news for us. While the boys like sandwiches, I've been cutting their sandwich consumption in half with a can of soup. A sandwich and a soup is definitely better on our budget than those on-the-go lunch kits or a can of beefaroni. I usually rummage through the fridge and eat leftovers, so I don't need anything extra at the store for my meal. DH takes a sandwich, a yogurt and a granola bar with him and that's cut down on having to make a second batch of food. Less batches of food per meal = less money spent at the store. He likes salami and mustard sandwiches, ham with cucumber and turkey (although, turkey and ham are left for when they're on an extreme sale).

We've been able to stay within our food budget over the last few weeks, which is good for us. The less eating out means more money to put into savings and to pay bills with. If we ate out twice a week, we'd be spending $70! That's nuts! If we want something like pizza, we buy the 15 inch pizzas that are about $8.

So I am personally thankful for not having a fast food place around here. If it means saving more money and eating healthier, I'm all for it.

See less See more
#2 ·
That's great that there is no fast food places around you and I bet you will save money and so much healthier too. I can think of about 6 or 7 places just outside my neighborhood! :skept:

#3 ·
Oh there's a massive complex outside of our neighborhood, but I'm not willing to walk in the snow to get to them. :)

Just tonight DH comes home and goes, "Have you decided on dinner? I have this massive craving for pizza". I told him we were having salisbury steaks and that if I had the cheese, I'd make him a pizza. He was fine without it. :D Although, I'm thinking I might look for pizzas on sale somewheres and just start stockpiling them here at the house.

The last time we went grocery shopping, we went to Save-On Foods. Even with the sales, it was still more expensive than Superstore. DH hates Superstore with a passion and would be willing to go to a different one if it means avoiding the massive crowd. I even had anxiety in the store.

#7 ·
We looked in Castledowns but in the end, we settled in Lymburn. It's a nice bus ride to West Edmonton Mall so in the fall when both boys are in school all day, I can get my Christmas shopping done. :)

#8 ·
We have three fast food places two blocks from us, and another five or six within a quarter mile. When we first moved in we ate out way too much, not we're lucky if we eat out once a month. Where we lived before didn't have any stores or restaurants nearby.

My secret weapon that overcame all the eating out is tomato soup. On those nights when the meal plan just isn't happening I can heat a can of soup and make grilled cheese sandwiches on my griddle in less than 10 minutes. We always have the sandwich makings on hand and I stock up on the soup when it's on sale.

#10 ·
I'd do the soup and sandwich thing but a lot of us are pretty meat dependent. The kids would be screaming that they're starving an hour later. As long as I stick to making dinners that everyone wants, it seems to help kill the eating out beast.

#9 ·
I don't enjoy eating out at all during the winter months. I can just picture the cooks, waiters and waitresses having colds and sneezing on my food all the time. That picture alone is enough for me to make my own even when I am tired! :)

#11 ·
EXACTLY, dc.........me too. And while I feel for them for not getting sick leave I don't need to share their germs.

I also do much better if I can do a mental list of the goodies I have at home to eat......right now..........but it has to be able to be fixed fast as I am usually starved when thinking about eating out.

I have gobs and gobs of restaurants within about a mile (at most) from my house........from fast food to sit down..........really hard to by pass at times!!

#12 ·
Make homemade pizza. It is relatively cheap. I use spaghetti sauce as the sauce. We top it with whatever meat we have (usually cooked sausage or cooked hamburger crumbles) and black olives.

My guys will eat store bought or pizza place pizza and look at me and say "it just isn't as good as yours is mom".

#13 ·
If your boys like quesadilla (sp?) The tortilla's can be filled with anything and i like chips and salsa with mine but you could do rice also. Since you are feeding two growing boys adding some pinto beans would help to fill them up. Quick and easy!

Reactions: MomToTwoBoys
#15 ·
That is great! I was going to suggest making your own homemade pizzas. I'd much rather have that than from a restaurant. You could fix them any way your family likes them. One tip I read for making pizzas...lots of salad bars have most of the makings for pizza so if there is a place with a great salad bar that does to go boxes you can fix one with the makings for pizza and it would be much cheaper than buying them all at the grocery store. All you would need is to make the dough and buy sauce.

If you family likes chicken salad you could fix it homemade. I fix it for my family and they love it. I just buy chicken on sale, boil it, let cool and shred. I add mayo, pickle relish, salt and pepper and just a little of the broth from where I boiled the chicken. You can save the rest of the broth for another meal. Boil and extra piece of chicken and you can put it on a pizza.

#16 ·
#17 ·
WTG! Great job. I would make your own pizzas as others have suggested, you are very creative and your family will love so much more then store , or take out.

#18 ·
The only time we do much eating out is during the heart of soccer season, especially when we're traveling extensively. I do my best to use the crock pot, serve a little something early to tide everyone over, etc.

In general, I get "fed up" with eating out (pun intended -- sorry!). Can't stand the high price of food, frequently lousy service, and small portions for my big eaters. Too, I dislike fast food (can't handle the fat, don't like the flavors of most), and like to eat more healthfully than restaurant fare generally permits.

DH likes to eat out more than I do -- likes to give me a break from cooking, which I think is funny because I am a SAHM. (A SAHM who is frequently sick, volunteers extensively, is a substitute teacher, and more :).)

When I worked FT out of the home I did a lot of fast and easy dinners; DH cooked, too, when he was in town. When I realized that we'd gone to McDs, BK, and Arby's three times in 5 days is when DH and I had a talk about whether or not I should still be working outside of the home. (Longer story there.... do not mean to digress.)

It's tough, isn't it, when you're exhausted and surrounded by all of these convenient choices?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.