Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are full of challenges here at FV.

Here's a new twist for you...

I challenge you to do something nice for someone else each and every day. Your recipient can be a person, animal or even a plant if you wish. But the gesture needs to be from nothing that you personally would gain from.

Doesn't really matter how big or small the gesture is, as long as you make a gesture.

Here's my contribution to the world today:

Rustled up my old ratty bird feeder, filled it with fresh clean seed and hung it from a tree in the backyard. I also hung a few birdseed cakes from other branches. This is going to serve 2 purposes. The birds will have a nice treat and my two cats will receive stimulation from being able to watch the birds from the windows. Is this for my gain (to watch the birds perhaps?) apparently not or I would have enjoyed feeding and watching the birds all along.

I have a friend that owns an animal rescue here in town. She has goats, donkeys, chickens, rabbits on the farm that have been given away, abandoned - you name it - (amazing what people get into and then decide they don't want to do it anymore.) So the animals come to her farm to live. When I started a grocery store job a few months ago I secured all the wilting produce that normally went into the dumpster to start going to her farm. But I was completely guilty of putting so many shavings of my own down the garbage disposal. I started a bag yesterday (kept in the freezer) to throw everything in that I can and then will deliver it to her once a week.

So that is what I have done today....What have you had the chance or plan to do????

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
due the type of work i do i meet alot people who have needs that go far beyond what my work can do and their low income funds ( medicare and medicaide pts ) so i do things most days i work .

whether its stopping and bringing someone who lives alone gingerale who called to tell me they were sick the night before to dropping of christmas cookies on christmas eve to a pt i no longer see but that i know lives alone - seeing their friend that food shops for them has been a bit late on shopping for them and i go home and pick up a bag and grab a few days worth of food from my pantry .

or doing research for them when i get home because they have no internet ; helping them set up electronics - clean cookies from computers as they have no idea how that works - etc .

give them coupons for products i know they use for their pets or for nutritional items they use ( ensure- boost adults diapers etc )

people usually let me know if they know a family in need of clothes of anything because i shop year round for clearance stuff and store it for such issues. or i usually have extra of something or know someone who does.

to me its just a everyday part of life... i have these kind of opportunities to help others available really almost too often and i often cant do as much as i would like to .

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gosh people ~ is noone doing anything nice for anyone else around here....

Where's all the posts of all the nice things you have done- you are all just being humble ~ aren't you???

Ok then - I will start:

Yesterday morning when I was pulling into the parking lot at the local grocery the snack cake man was coming out with empty boxes on his hand truck. A big gust of wind came rushing thru and the boxes went flying everywhere. As he stood there trying to contain the few boxes left on the truck I leapt from my vehicle and started running across the lot grabbing boxes. (While 4-5 other folks already standing in the lot continued to stand and watch us) did they jump in and help? NOPE!

I got all the boxes gathered and returned them to their proper owner while he thanked me profusely. It is not a problem, really. However, I was completely disappointed in the folks that stood around and watched the whole fiasco.

On Friday (since I didn't get a post done) -
Doing laundry I have begun to save all the lint from the screen (I know, this is something I should have been doing all along. But, like the veggie scraps I threw down the disposal- laziness got the better of me for awhile). Anyway, the lint from now on goes into mesh bags (onion, orange, grapefruit- from the grocery) and then in the spring they will be hung on the trees in the backyard from which the birds can pick from to line their spring nests.

Anyone got a tale to tell? Anyone?????

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
The single mom next door will recieve 5 anonymous pooh bear books I found at S.A. for .20 a piece w/ a note "Easter basket"?
He is almost 3.

·
2,688 Posts
I do different small things when I can.

I give away eggs to the neighbors. I try to sell as many as I can but sometimes I get backed up in the frig. I also have given eggs and garden produce to the food pantry at one church.

Another church has a room set up for free clothing. I give them clothing when I get in a sorting mood. Also garden produce when I can.

I have given away knitted hats in the past. Currently I need the money for our budget, but I still do a few good deeds now and then.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was about and about in the world today. Went to the big city to do some shopping for ideas for this summer's Farmers Market.

I was an extremely courteous driver all day long (not that I am usually extremely rude to begin with)

I didn't speed, tailgate, run thru yellow lights. I let people in when I was sitting at stoplights. I parked to the back of the lots so others could park closer (ok, that one is partially for ME coz I like the exercise when the weather is really nice- as it was today)

I was a real joy to be on the road with today....! (in a good way...lol)

·
Registered
467 Posts
We spent the holidays with DD and her family. One suitcase went down full of gifts and came home full of gently used girl clothes size 5. These will be passed to a friend raising 2 daughters on her own since her husband died of cancer 3 years ago. The clothes will then be passed to another mother with needs. Tomorrow I deliver to clothes.

I think I do receive something in return though. I feel blessed to be able to help others, it fills a place in my heart.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today at work one of the ladies was telling me how her daughter had lost her scarf she got for Christmas and how she wanted another one. Mom was willing to get another one for her but she does not drive and had no way to get to the store that it came from (she walks to work). So after work I went over to the store to see if they had any left (they did) and I got one for her and took it back to work and gave it to her. She was thrilled (and refused to let me leave it unless she paid me for it)....

Anyone else nice today ???????

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Put out seed for birds and the squirrel...also left the squirrel a dish of water on the step lol.

Picked up garbage at the park,tomorrow Sophie and I will do our street.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I let my dog take me for a walk. Does that count? Oh, wait, I'm getting something out of that, too.

I did start a prototype soft walking harness for her today though. I've been planning to make one for a while so she doesn't have to be hurting her neck with a collar all the time.

I was inspired by another Villager who was mailing away some excess things that I sent some of my own excess things to a different Villager. But that turned out to be something for me after all, because I've had so much fun with their response to my humble offering.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I give a dozen of egg's each to a couple of guy's that live on my familie's property that don't have much money..I've known these guy's for many years..I'm glad to help them out.

My dad *shop's* at my house every week when his money is running low.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
-Bought mom a teapot and mini teapot at an estate sale
-I always get peanut for squirrels she feeds
-I have been nursing my Great Dane/boxer mix back to health for 2 months now
-We have 2 sponser kids we support

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
this is really nice.... I feed the birds and squirrel in my yard....
my brother in law helped out at church with the lunch dishes....going to go get my handicaped brother to spend 2 weeks with us....

I try to do something nice every day oh my neigbors gave me her coupons that was nice of her

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mailed my mom an Easter package with her favorite candies yesterday. I will see her on Sunday and could have given it to her then, but she lives in a retirement community alone and gets the biggest thrill out of getting stuff thru the mail (even junk mail) - so I thought I would mail it ahead of time and give her another thrill. She should get it today.....

·
Registered
473 Posts
Once a month I volunteer with a group that assists low income people with food, water, straw etc for their dogs. We also assist with spay n neutering as well. End of this month I'll be helping out at the animal shot clinic. I work at a hospital & fund solace in animals when I'm on people overload.

·
Registered
382 Posts
We have a neighbor who's wife passed away last year and so sometimes when I make a big meal I take some down to him. He could totally afford whatever food he wants but doesn't have the desire to cook for himself. So I give him some "home cookin" But we get lots from him too. He comes and takes the kids for rides on his lawn mower, he has "babysat" for my kids for a couple of hours for me before. I also just get great satisfaction out of him being a friend to myself and my husband and a "grandfather type" to my kids.

I am also like momto5 because I am a home health nurse and I do all kinds of things for my clients as well. My husband has fixed things for them, I bring them extra food, go get their mail, bring em a candy bar, whatever. :)

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I paid for my son's girlfriends dental work. She was in to much pain. I just mailed out a big box of books to my sister. She loves to read but can't afford to even buy used ones. I listen to a neighbor when life gets to hard for her.
Fern

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Just went to the Aunt Millies bread store. I got 1/2 a card of muffins,bread of all kinds,rolls etc. I will have to take mom extra and see if she would like to donate to the food pantry at her church. Lots of older disadvantaged people in her area. She bakes for them almost every Sunday.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today I took the lint that I have been saving from the dryer and stuffed a small onion bag. The bag is now hanging from a tree in the backyard for the birds to get their nesting from. And of course the bird feeders are nice and full and the birds are elated.....(and the cats are thrilled watching from the windows)... everyone is happy!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts