Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the power company has been working on the power lines upgrading and turned the power off here in the mountains and it 19 outside and windy as all get out-but the old cook wood stove i just put in 2 weeks ago is really keeping the house warm about 78 degrees-i also cooked my first pan of biscuits in the oven on it turned out good -not great but good-got to relearn everything my mother taught me about cooking on a wood stove-don't know why the power company didn't do this in the summer i pity all the family's that don't have wood heat here on this mountain-i spent all day yesterday going through the wood pile we had for the fireplace and re cut it all down to pieces small enough to go into the stove now the house is nice and warm-didn't mean to ramble on so --hugs to all fv and their family,s

·
2,688 Posts
You got a real stupid power company....wowsers.

I'd love a wood stove in the house to cook on. But the hubby
wants the fire outside, so we have the outside wood boiler
furnace. Keeps house toasty warm. We do have a propane
kitchen stove, so I don't have to worry about power outages.
Oh, and the old generater :)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Glad you are staying warm and can cook without power. We are in the foothills in eastern Ohio so I know what you mean about the wind and cold. Enjoy that heat.

Cat

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I am so glad you have a wood stove to cook on and keep warm. Stay safe, warm and healthy. Blessings!

·
Registered
358 Posts
We love our wood stove. We don't cook on it except in emergencies - it's just for heat.

A few years ago, in November, the power company decided to test the undersea cables. They notified everyone that the power would be off for 1-2 hours. No biggie.

Except that the cable failed the test. They fried two of the four lines (3 live lines + 1 spare). They had to steal some cable from another project, bring a barge over from Vancouver, then lay the new cable across the channel. It took them the better part of a week before power was restored.

And then a month later, we had the big storm that knocked the power out again for 8 days.

Like I say, we sure do like our wood stove!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Lucky you to have been in that wood stove! Just in time too! Stay warm and have fun cooking with it. :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
When I lived at my Mom's I had a wood cook stove in the basement. I do soo miss that thing!! We heated with wood and I would routinely fire that up on the weekends to make breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Took me a while to get used to is as it is a lot more labor intensive than an electric stove, but it made the best biscuits.

I am glad you had yours to keep you warm. Think of us when you make your next pan. Make sure to put some of that good jelly you made this summer and butter you canned on them too.

I live in an apartment now and of course can't have one. BUT I plan on buying a house in 2011 and if it don't have a wood stove in it, it will shortly after I get there.

I hope you stay good and warm and don't have to get up too many times in the night to fire it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
house is toasty and warm but im just about done in -just got done splinting wood to last 3 days and lord knows i need the exercise as im to fat and out of shape but the wood pile look is looking good-next is to start getting free pallets to cut down for stove wood next year ill be better prepared --after i get all the wood cut i can start clearing some space for raised beds --spring is around the corner and have to be prepared for it---hugs to all fv and their familys

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I have to admit, I'm jealous. I have wanted a wood cook stove for so long. My dh can't understand it. He's from NYC and can't understand the homesteader ways. He tells me, 'this 'is' 2010, after all.'

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
We love our wood stove. We don't cook on it except in emergencies - it's just for heat.

A few years ago, in November, the power company decided to test the undersea cables. They notified everyone that the power would be off for 1-2 hours. No biggie.

Except that the cable failed the test. They fried two of the four lines (3 live lines + 1 spare). They had to steal some cable from another project, bring a barge over from Vancouver, then lay the new cable across the channel. It took them the better part of a week before power was restored.

And then a month later, we had the big storm that knocked the power out again for 8 days.

Like I say, we sure do like our wood stove!

:yikes:

We have a wood stove, but it's just for heating the house. It's in the basement. We never use it, DH just does not want the hassle. But we are very glad to have it if we ever need it.

Yours and Marla's story makes me think we should have at least a weeks worth of wood just in case.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Whew -- it would have been rough in those temps without your wood stove.

We have a wood stove, but it's designed primarily for heat and only has a sort of cooking surface on top. We have used it this winter more than ever and have turned the electric heat way down. DH bought a log splitter this year which I hope will pay for itself over a few winters. The downside is we have to get up several times a night to keep it going.

Stay toasty, everyone.

·
Registered
358 Posts
we have to get up several times a night to keep it going.
If your stove is a good modern one, it should last all night.

In the evening, I make sure there is a good bright-hot bed of coals. I'll put on a couple of big logs, wait until they catch and then damp it way down. By morning, there are still a few live coals, enough that I often don't need a match to restart the fire in the morning - a bit of paper and it lights itself.

If you use your stove a lot, you might want to think about upgrading it. I can see maybe adding a bit of fuel once overnight if you don't want the house to cool off (we don't mind if it cools a little - it doesn't get cold), but if you have to feed it more than once, it is not burning efficiently.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i found an old wood stove like mine in an old barn/scrapyard and got it for just 50.00 just wanted the hardware off it as it was pretty bad shape inside but got all the top hardware and the grate inside and all the handles for spares and the lids are 65.00 new so that saved me a bundle --got 4 and 4 lifters for spares too--love these back woods scrapyards--i was looking at an old pot belly stove in the back but the person wants to think it over might get it for less than 100.00 hope so-------hugs to all fv

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
There's a place that refurbishes/restores woodstoves. Can't remember the name but I could probably ask for it. I learned how to bank a fire in a woodstove when some of my friends from college bought a house that had one. One thing you should do on a regular basis is get the chimney cleaned. I'd love to get an older house (a small one, though) that had a woodstove.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
already have the chimney covered-- got a chimney sweep going to come and do the chimney for 136.00-- a bargain at any Price and the spare parts will come in handy at some other date hugs to all fv and their family's-----p.s.--go to you tube and find-- wood stove cooking--great site

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Gotta love a good price for something like that. I'm fortunate to live close enough to places where I can sign up for open hearth cooking classes, even though I don't have a woodstove or even a fireplace. (I just love the classes partly because it's fun and different as well as the history.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.