Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends of mine are trying to rid their kitchen of as much plastic as possible--buying/using only real glasses and dishes (no plastic, melamine, paper, etc.), eliminating paper towels and napkins in favor of cloth, and getting rid of all plastic food storage. I'm intrigued by this so my question is, what do you use for food storage? I have some Pyrex storage containers but these have plastic lids. Should I go for Ball canning jars?

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'm trying to do this too. I'm using up all the plastic I already have, so it's a slow process. The problem I have with glass canning jars is the lids get rusty over time, so new lids need to be purchased. I reuse nicer glass jars (from pasta sauce for example) for storing some pantry items. I also have some glass jars with glass lids and wire bails.

Reactions: AspiringToBeFrugal

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
for sale 052.jpg for sale 051.jpg

I have a mason jar obsession so I use a lot of them. I buy the old wire/glass lid jars at yard sales etc. I got 2 old blue jars in perfect shape for a dollar each!

The half gallon jars have metal lids, I bought them through azure standard, they are made for food storage. I use a lot of regular mason jars to, especially in the freezer. I use the white bpa free plastic lids. In fact just yesterday I was looking for more lids and our walmart only carries their own mainstay brand of them now.....much cheaper at 1.86 a box and they are bpa free too.

For leftovers I use glass pyrex with plastic lids. For leftover pizza I use foil. Sometimes I use a regular glass bowl with foil over the top.

For bulk flour and grain storage I use food grade 5 gallon buckes with gamma seals, also bought through azure. This is how I store those big 25 and 50 lb bags of flour at costco and organic oats from azure.

I do have some small pieces of plastic I use for hubbys and nieces lunch, all bpa free. I also have small glass pieces for hubbys lunch for things that need to be warmed up.

One thing I never,ever, ever do is put plastic in the dishwasher or micro. I watched Dr oz once and that is one thing they warned against. It breaks the plastics down and then you get the bad stuff in your food. It was a show on cancer and this is what one leading cancer doctor recommend.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm kinda sorta trying to get there also and it is a slow process. I haven't bought Ziploc bags in ages but have labeled the ones I still have either Meat or Veggie. I wash them in hot bleachy dish water and air dry them by hanging them on the large spoons, etc in the drain rack. I have been using my plastic storage containers to put precooked meats (HB Steaks & Gravy; spaghetti sauce) in to freeze. When these break, I'm going to try not buying anymore or Ziploc bags either. I want to use either brown paper for freezer paper for meats. I may buy some of those old-timey square Bes-Pak freezer containers to put pre-cooked meals in. They're pretty heavy duty and fit well in the freezer. Have been labeling things with freezer tape. Also bought a seal-a-meal but haven't used it yet. If you freeze glass containers, won't they break? I do use glass containers in the fridge for leftovers. I've been dehydrating my okra to avoid having to use freezer space or bags in addition to not having to can it. We haven't been using nearly as many paper towels as we used to, but Dad and dh will never completely stop if they have anything to do with it. I guess I'm just trying to cut out as much as possible over time and so far, I guess I've done a fair job of it.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I'm kinda sorta trying to get there also and it is a slow process. I haven't bought Ziploc bags in ages but have labeled the ones I still have either Meat or Veggie. I wash them in hot bleachy dish water and air dry them by hanging them on the large spoons, etc in the drain rack. I have been using my plastic storage containers to put precooked meats (HB Steaks & Gravy; spaghetti sauce) in to freeze. When these break, I'm going to try not buying anymore or Ziploc bags either. I want to use either brown paper for freezer paper for meats. I may buy some of those old-timey square Bes-Pak freezer containers to put pre-cooked meals in. They're pretty heavy duty and fit well in the freezer. Have been labeling things with freezer tape. Also bought a seal-a-meal but haven't used it yet. If you freeze glass containers, won't they break? I do use glass containers in the fridge for leftovers. I've been dehydrating my okra to avoid having to use freezer space or bags in addition to not having to can it. We haven't been using nearly as many paper towels as we used to, but Dad and dh will never completely stop if they have anything to do with it. I guess I'm just trying to cut out as much as possible over time and so far, I guess I've done a fair job of it.
Ball says to use the straight side jars for freezing. You need to leave room for expansion. I don't have enough so I also do use regular canning jars. I have only had 1 crack. If using regular you need to leave a little extra room on top than you normally would for expansion.

Once in awhile I freeze a glass casserole type dish, never had one break. As long as you allow for expansion they shouldn't break.

I forgot I use ziplock freezer bags too....

·
Registered
541 Posts
Tami: love your jars - great picture. I use the 5 gallon food grade buckets with the gasket lids and our local grocery deli gives these, as well as the smaller ones (2.5 gallon?) for flour, meal, sugar, beans, pasta, rice and more. I bought a dozen of the half-gallon mason jars for canisters and they are wonderful. I use any type of sealable glass jar that I can find at garage sales, thrift shops, etc. I do have a bento that I use for my lunch, but I don't microwave it.

·
8,714 Posts
~I've had these for years and I love them: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodStorage/leftoversGlass?productId=10015932
I found an online deal years back on these containers from Frigidaire. I got 2 of the large squares, 2 small squares and a loaf size all with lids for $60 shipped. The deal was so good I ordered two more sets to give to my sis and mom.
Antique stores and Ebay will sell the 2-3 cup size refrigerator containers with lids for around $10 each. They are incredibly durable and should last longer than 4 or more comparable plastic container lifespans.
Another solution I use for leftovers when I run out of containers is to but the foods in my correlle bowls and then put a plate from the same set over it. My luncheon plates form a nice seal around my cereal bowls and my dinner plates fit my mixing bowls well. The round shapes are a bit awkward in the fridge, but better than plastic. ~

·
4,028 Posts
I have lots of glass bottom and plastic lid combinations. Since I'm not storing food in contact with the plastic lid, I don't really have a problem with it. I still use plastic but don't microwave in them.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I dumped all the mismatched crappy plastic my husband was using for his lunches a few years ago and bought two sets of assorted Pyrex from Amazon. I think it all cost about $45 and it's been one of the best changes I've ever made in the kitchen. The glass bowls have tight plastic covers and that's the most practical for carrying his lunches. I also use some of the Pyrex to store smelly things like onions that the odors might absorb into plastics.

I love Tupperware. All Tupperware sold in the US has always been BPA free, and it resists staining. I have dozens of vintage square rounds I use in the freezer. I love those because they fit perfectly in the door of the freezer and stack nicely without falling when the door is opened or closed. I especially love T-ware for camping because the lids fit tightly and don't allow water to leak into food in a cooler. I buy T-ware cheap secondhand. I would hate to give up my pickle keepers! There are usually four or five in the fridge at any given time holding olives, a variety of pickles, pickled peppers, etc.

I use Corningware at times, the vintage kind, not the ceramic stuff they sell now. I especially use the soup bowls with lids, the Grab-It style and the square ones, to store single servings of soups and other foods in the fridge. They are perfect for splitting up WW meals into a week's worth of lunches for me, so I don't have to weigh or measure anything which helps me stay on track with food portions.

I use large glass jars for storing flour and sugar. The three largest ones hold ten pounds of flour each. Smaller quantities of things like rice, beans, and other dry foods are in half-gallon or quart mason jars with plastic lids. I've been slowly weeding out non-canning jars because I have so many canning jars and I'm just tired of all the odds and ends around here. Besides, we're trying to purge excess stuff and the odd jars are an easy target to get rid of.

I've broken jars trying to freeze liquids such as broth in them, but I do use canning jars for things like cooked rice or cooked hamburger. Naturally, canned foods are stored in glass canning jars.

I gave up all but one of our plastic mixing bowls in favor of stainless steel. That's been a good change. We've always used glass or stainless steel measuring spoons and cups, too.

We store water for travel in stainless steel bottles. I can't decide if they have plastic linings or not though.

If I'm freezing food for travel or if it's a food that would benefit from not having too much air around it, I do use plastic bags. Our camper freezer is small, so freezing stuff flat in plastic bags so it'll stack together is important.

I was really gung ho about eliminating plastics for a while and I still try to avoid it, but from a practical standpoint, it's tough to get rid of it completely.

BPA has gotten a lot of bad press, perhaps deservedly so, but I always wonder what other ingredients are in plastics that are just as bad for us but aren't on the media radar yet.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I use pyrex containers with plastic lids for storing and freezing...small ones and the bigger 9x13s....along with canning jars. I'll divide up soup into pint size canning jars and freeze it that way...perfect to pull one out for a single serving. I just bought the half-gallon canning jars for dividing up and storing almond flour, and I love those. I have a few very old Tupperware containers that I use for storing sugar and flour in the cupboard...I like that the tops of them are nice and wide so it's easy to get a big measuring cup into them.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Much like SpiritDeer, I donated almost all of my plastic containers and purchased matching glass containers with plastic locking lids. It was one of the best storage-related things I've ever done. Gone was the massive area required for non-matching items, gone was the searching for the correct lid, gone was the time involved with stacking after washing.

As far as freezing, I still use plastic containers, at least up until I've cracked all of them from dropping.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
My plastic containers are only used to store leftovers. Nothing is every reheated in plastic. The plastic is slowly being thrown away as it ages. I have various glass containers and lots of canning jars in various sizes. I use them to store dry goods and vacuum seal them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I cook rice in the microwave and have been using a plastic bowl I want to replace. Will glass be ok for this, or is ceramic better? It usually takes 14 mins to cook.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
A glass casserole dish would work great for that. I used a Pyrex one for years in the micro.

Corningware works great, too.

Whatever you use, be sure it's big enough or it'll run over and make a huge mess.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all so much for your feedback! I have asked for both the Pyrex storage containers...a second set, and Ball jars in a couple of different sizes for Christmas. I am also continuing to save glass food jars for future use as gifts (some of my homemade Christmas gifts will go into these) and in my kitchen.

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Registered
130 Posts
We have some rubbermaid plastic containers with lids that have served us well but they're starting to crack...they're the kind that don't get tomato stains. I'd prefer to switch to glass, just because I've heard that the food tastes less like plastic, and also because anything acidic like tomatoes tends to leave pitting behind in the plastic containers.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Tupperware is also stain resistant.

I've never had any plastics of any kind be pitted by storing acidic foods in them.

I succumbed to temptation yesterday and got a six-pack of green glass quart canning jars. I love those. I might buy six pints, too, even though all of those colored glass jars are expensive, twice the price of the regular ones, and even though I don't need any more canning jars of any kind. But I like to use canning jars for various purposes and really like the color. Have to splurge on some fun stuff once in a while!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts