Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gluten Free Chicken Cordon Bleu

Recipe Description
Omg! It's soooo yummy. :D Everything in the recipe is scratch ingredients and it takes barely any time to make. I suggest investing in a wooden mallet for flattening meat if you don't have one. (I used a rolling pin for mine since I didn't have one)​
Preparation Steps:
Flatten the chicken (the best way to do this is to put the chicken in a sealable bag so that the juice doesn't splatter everywhere.

Make the "cream of something" soup. (Yes, that's what it's called)​
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
15 mins prep, 6-8 hours max cooking time​
Ingredients:
cooking spray
4 chicken breast halves, pounded thin
4 to 8 slices ham
4 to 8 slices Swiss cheese
1 10oz can of creme soup
2 tablespoon low-fat milk​
Serves:
4 servings​
Directions:
Use a 4qt slow cooker. Spray crock with cooking spray. Pound chicken breasts flat and put a slice of ham and a slice of cheese on top of each chicken breast. Roll it up and put into crock, seam side down. If desired, top with another piece of ham and cheese (I recommend this because it was so delicious). It's ok to stagger the chicken, so if you double the recipe, the chicken will cook the same.

Open a can of cream-of-something soup (you can make your own soup, which is included in this recipe, or you can use a can of whatever soup you have on hand) and pour it on top of the chicken. Put two tablespoons of low-fat milk into the can and swirl it around to get the remaining soup out of the can, pour it on top as well. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.

Chicken is done when cooked through and has begun to brown on top.

"Cream of Something" Soup Recipe

1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons flour (we use brown rice flour)
1/2c low-fat milk
1/2c chicken broth
1/4t salt (we use kosher salt)
1/4t black pepper

Make a roux on the stovetop with the butter and flour (if using rice flour, the roux will be crumbly and may burn), and whisk in the remaining ingredients. Pour on top of chicken. Omit the 2 tablespoons of milk since you're not making the chicken with canned soup.​

·
Registered
103 Posts
yummo this is on the menu this week...:cloud9:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Be sure to watch your creme soups. Some use a malt and some use a modified food starch and wheat starch for thickeners. Both are celiac no-no's

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be sure to watch your creme soups. Some use a malt and some use a modified food starch and wheat starch for thickeners. Both are celiac no-no's
We don't use a canned soup of any variety now. That's why I included the "cream of something" soup recipe and have another creme soup recipe here on the forums. :)

I find that homemade creme soup tastes way better anyways. Less salt, less fat and more flavour.

Reactions: MTS04

·
19,119 Posts
That sounds good too - love those tastes and textures!!

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
thank u , have to add to my recipe try box

·
Registered
746 Posts
We don't use a canned soup of any variety now. That's why I included the "cream of something" soup recipe and have another creme soup recipe here on the forums. :)

I find that homemade creme soup tastes way better anyways. Less salt, less fat and more flavour.
My apologies, I read fast and skipped over the cream of something recipe. I agree, homemade tastes so much better than canned, hands down.
Garbanzo flour adds a nice flavor for roux and other recipes too (if you ever grow tired of the brown rice)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts