Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I just received my official letter accepting me to college in the Fall. My major is Information Management & Library Technology. I'm excited and scared at the same time.

I know that the average age range for school has risen but I'm in my early 40's and I'm nervous at being the oldest one there. Please nervous about handling the house and school and possibly a parttime job.

My dh will help out as much as possible. He can help clean but is hopeless at cooking so that will be 100% my dept.

So ladies..or Gents. How did/do you manage school, family and a job at the same time.

TIA

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have no idea how to handle all of that, but I am soooooo jealous that you are going back to school! I too am in my early 40's and want to go back but the thought of school, kids, working full time just scares the life out of me.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea how to handle all of that, but I am soooooo jealous that you are going back to school! I too am in my early 40's and want to go back but the thought of school, kids, working full time just scares the life out of me.

Best of luck to you!

I don't think I could manage it either if I still have a young one at home. Of course I think my dh is a big kid but luckily he can manage if he has too:)

I'm quite excited though..well until it all really sinks in:)

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
I just started back to school full time last month. WOW...I'm about to fall over from exhaustion!! But, I'm enjoying it thoroughly! :hurray:

I'll be in for 5 years!! I'm starting over...on to a new career! :D

I'm having trouble balancing school, time with hubby, and care of home. Not to mention I want to exercise more often... I'm sure I'll find a pattern that works. I scheduled one P.E. class for the fall semester...that'll MAKE me exercise!! hehehe

I'm so excited to be back in school! :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
I went back to school when I was 33 to do a Postgraduate Certificate in Education. At the time, DD was 5 and hubby was working full time. I was in school full time. It wasn't easy. I sat down with DH and asked him what he felt comfortable doing around the house. He can cook, but his cleaning wasn't to my specification, so he'd cook a couple of nights a week and I was in charge of cleaning and laundry. I got into the habit of doing lots of little jobs. So if I was going upstairs and there was laundry to carry up, I'd take it and put it away. Or if I had five minutes I'd tidy up around the living room. I never left the cleaning until the weekend, but just did it bit by bit throughout the week. I also cooked on weekends and had food in the fridge and freezer, ready to go for those nights that DH wasn't able to cook. The other thing DH did for me was keep our DD occupied when I had schoolwork to do.

Congratulations to you! It's exciting starting a new chapter in your life!

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
No help, but congrats on going back to school! I want to go back to college too, but I don;t want to work, I just want to learn all I can about Nutrition. I am quite self educated, but I;d love to have some authority when I speak, KWIM?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I am in my 3rd semester of being back. I am 34, stay at home mom and 4 kids. I have to say my house isn't as clean as I would like it, but somethings have gotta go so I can study. I have started cooking 2 meals most of the time, one for today and one for the freezer to be pulled out when things are hectic. The couple of weeks I have between semesters is spent on doing a deep clean and reorganization of the house. Before I went back to school I was one of those moms that did everything for the family, I am learning how to delegate and not stress over things not done my way. I have also gotten in the habit of carrying my notes with me, if I get stuck in traffic I study, standing in line at the store I study, waiting at the Dr.s office I study.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
No Advice, just wanted to say I think its cool that you are going back to school. I'm in my early 40's as well and toss the idea around from time to time. Congrats to you for taking the steps to make it happen!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm just finished with school this week after 2 years of part-time schooling. I work part-time as well and have 2 little kids. I decided that my house was not going to be spik and span tidy for those 2 years. I let that illusion of a super clean house go after about a half a year. That was when I started to feel less stress. I wanted to do it all but obviously I couldn't.
My DH did a lot in the household as well so I was lucky.
Congrats on going back to school. It'll be tough but you won't regret it!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Congratulations! Not much advise because I never have had particularly good "balance."

I went back to school in my 30's. I'd unexpectedly lost my not-so-dh to divorce. I had been a stay-at-home mom prior and knew I had to update my skills in order to find a decent job. In some ways, the being older made it easier -- I found I'd become a better writer, math made sense for the first time (it maybe helped that the professor was a woman -- I don't recall any female math professors first time round!), and I didn't skip class for no reason because I'd paid for it (I wouldn't buy a theater ticket and then not show up -- same for the classes). That computers had entered the scene was a "shock" and a bit intimidating. But that won't be an issue for you :)

My house went from orderly and clean to quite messy (especially around midterms and finals when all the projects also come due). I was constantly sleep deprived. But it was fun. I wasn't the oldest student (the university allowed people over 65 to attend for free) and there was an 80 year old lady in one of my classes!

I still try to take a class now and then at our local community college -- something I've always wanted to know or never had time before. It's a great way to meet people and keeps me feeling young. I took a 1 credit hour gym class recently that was great (the oldest was a man in his early 70's, the youngest 17). It was cheaper than joining a gym and a lot like having a personal trainer. (I didn't lose any weight but I did lose a few inches) Plus, I got all the benefits of being an enrolled student = access to the library, the pool, student discounts, and other perks.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I would probably handle it like I do anything else....
Deep breathe and fly by the seat of my pants..lol

you will do great.. hey you know that is a great field also now to go into..
good luck..

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I started going to school in 06 when my son was about 3 months old or so. I will be graduating in July (ceremony anyway) and the actual classes finish on September 1. I've gotten my bachelors in finance in 2 years./

I worked full-time the entire time I was going to school and for a year or so of it, Zac was deployed.

It's not easy, but you just do what you have to do. You'll find a system that works for you. And you'll be able to make adjustments here and there to make it work. I did a lot of up until 230 in the mornings, waking up at 6, working all day and doing it all over the next day...but I am SO glad that it's almost done!

·
Registered
626 Posts
I don't have any advice, but I want to applaud and encourage you in your efforts to further your education.

When my DD graduated from college, one of her fellow graduates was a 67 year old woman. I was almost as proud of her as I was my DD.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Congratulations!! I know you must be so excited and of course nervous, but you will do fine.

I am 38, soon to be 39, have been taking college classes for the last 2 1/2 years, work full time outside the home, do all our finances, grocery shopping, and cleaning of the home, and have 2 children still at home. DH does cook on some of the nights I am not at home which does help. My house is not as 'spotless' as it once was, but I have grown to accept that I can not do everything and it is ok not to be 'perfect'.

I somehow find time to balance it all. My two children that are home are active in school and sports, so that takes up some of my time too, but I wouldn't miss their activities for the world. I have found out that they grow up way to fast since my oldest has left the nest.

I am lucky to work for the school district. I love it! I am the librarian at our campus and am going back for an elementary education degree with a minor in special education. Working in the field I do allowed me to make sure this is where I want to be. I worked for 6 years in special education as an aide before moving to the library position. Working for the school also allows me to have summers off and I usually take summer classes, but I took this summer off to enjoy time with my family as my DS#2 is going to be a senior this year. He will be gone before you know it.

I work Mon-Fri, 7:30 - 4, take classes Mon and Wed 4:30 - 8, on Thurs I attend DS#3's sporting events, on Fri night's and Saturday's I attend DS#2's activities. I try to do at least one load of laundry every day to keep from having it pile up. I plan a menu and grocery shop every other week instead of weekly. I do most of my homework on the weekends when I have more time. I pay our bills online and do this on Thursday or Friday when I have free time. I usually have a break at work and can get this done during break time. Of course, I do not have this problem during the summer. My children do help with some of the house cleaning. They clean their own bathroom, help with doing the dishes when I ask and the floors if I feel overloaded. I don't have to ask often, but there are times when I have so much going on that I do have to ask for help which is ok. It is ok to ask for help and you may need to do just that. Like I said earlier, my house used to be spotless, but I have learned that is not what is important to me. I can't wait until I can say that I EARNED my degree. It might take me 10 years - not really - but it sure feels like it.

Just don't get discouraged!! You are going to be so proud of yourself. You will be surprised to see that there are a lot more 'older' students than younger students in the classroom. I felt the same way until I stepped in the door and then I realized I wasn't alone.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Congratulations! I'm taking courses online, which I LOVE!

Advice:
Don't wait till the last minute on assignments
Use your crockpot
Take your textbooks to your kids' ballpractices, etc.
Divide up your kids' and husband's chores
That's it!!!!

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Wanted to add---it will get hard at times and you will be discouraged to quit. DON'T!!! WHen you look back it will all be worth it!!!!

I am so so proud of the fact that Wesley will watch me walk across the stage during my graduation ceremony!!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I know I am late on this post but I have to tell you that I registered for classes at our 2 year college and am majoring in accounting. I start Monday. I am so excited. I just think it might take my family some time to get used to it. I have most always been able to whatever they needed at a moments notice. But at 42 with my youngest at 15 I think it is time for me. I have also started at the local gym. I need to have my life back. My daughter said that me gong to college was a good thing. Maybe I wouldn't be a hermit anymore.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I just want to congratulate you on your decision to go to school! I started last fall, as a full-time Freshman at the age of 45. My only regret is that I did not do it sooner. I will not stop until I have a four year degree in Business Management. Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts